PDA

View Full Version : Computer wont boot I need help

civictyper16
12-27-2007, 10:18 PM
:shocked: I recently watercooled my pc for the first time ever and today I started it up fine I am running a evga 680i e4300 2gb ballistix tracer 8800gts.Well after a couple hours I decided to start overclocking I quickly put it to 3:2 ratio I turned off a couple settings when I saved the settings and restarted the system it hung didn't show any postcodes.

My last motherboard did the same thing just showed two double dashes one day and I had to get a rma.Guys please help me I went threw 5 boards hopefully this is a quick fix.I pulled out cmos left the system off for a while I think its just the system cant read the ram and I should go buy some cheap standard ddr2.

I think the board is dead because when i turned it on it randomly shut off I took out both ram modules and still no postcodes just double dashes this sucks it was so frustrating building this loop to now have to start over.

joecop120
12-27-2007, 10:36 PM
idk what if you were shorting something due to unintentional waterblock contact?

Jedda
12-28-2007, 01:37 AM
680i first aid -

1. Shut down system and turn off PSU.
2. Press power button to discharge mobo
3. Jumper Clear CMOS jumper
4. Remove battery
5. Remove all memory
6. Let sit for 15-20min
7. Place 1 stick of mem in system in slot farthest from the CPU.
8. Replace Clear CMOS jumper.
9. Repace battery
10. Turn on PSU
11. Press power button. (if still getting "--" or 1d then "--" then shut down and reboot again. If still same then RMA)
12. If boot occurs (ie FF Led) then enter bios.
13. Load defaults, set date/time, set mem voltage to 2.1v
14. F10 save and reboot.
15. If boot occurs then enter bios, make all changes needed
16. F10 save and reboot.
17. If boot occurs (ie FF) then enter bios then shut system down via power switch
18. Place second stick of mem in second slot farthest from CPU.
19. Power on.
20. If boot occurs (ie FF) then hit reset to make sure.
21. If boot occurs then move on to allow windows to boot.

I have used these same steps countless times in my tinkerings where "--" and C1 has occured. Everytime I have come back from the dead.

civictyper16
12-28-2007, 05:07 PM
I tried everything I wonder what I did wrong I pulled everything out the case it took so much work and time to get everything up and running to then just have to start all over I am gonna call for a rma today.I'm still going to mess around with the board I put it back on air to see what I can do.At least this gives me a few more weeks to tinker with my lian li hahahahah.

sanhacker
12-28-2007, 06:57 PM
What is the code on your LED's ?
"--" "CC" "FF" etc etc.

I'm pretty sure it isn't "FF".

Are you saying you tried the steps Jedda provided to no avail ??

civictyper16
12-28-2007, 07:03 PM
I am getting double dash -- my last board I received from rma had double dash from the start and now having this rma a few hours on got the same problem.Evga is out for the holidays they wont return till the 3rd.I wish I could get any other postcodes besides -- so I could really know whats the problem.Jedda what do you mean by step 8.

sanhacker
12-28-2007, 07:27 PM
--
Now I understand.
Follow Jedda's steps to the "T".

What he means by step #8, is the jumper (CMOS) you removed in step #3 needs to be replaced after steps #4-#7.

You'll find the clear CMOS jumper on the lower right side of the board.
Well, that assumes your orientation is similar to mine. It's easier to look up the jumper in the manual to see the orientation for your setup.

His list will likely work without the need for an RMA. It is directly from the eVGA web site.

Eddie3dfx
12-28-2007, 07:41 PM
You have an evga 680i, thats why it won't boot

also, I'm not kidding

Those nb/sb chips are fragile, so you may have applied too much pressure when installing the block :(

I HATE the 680i evga board.
It was one of the biggest shams ever, behind the vortex turbofan for the car ;)

sanhacker
12-28-2007, 07:50 PM
You have an evga 680i, thats why it won't boot

also, I'm not kidding

Those nb/sb chips are fragile, so you may have applied too much pressure when installing the block :(

I HATE the 680i evga board.
It was one of the biggest shams ever, behind the vortex turbofan for the car ;)

LOL. I have an eVGA 680i board and it has worked great for a year now.
First the AR and now the A1. I only RMA'ed for the Quad support on the A1.
It has been rock solid since day one. I just keep my memory below 2.2 volts.

Jedda
12-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Yep, mine is solid as.
The -.- code actually indicates an earthing error.
ie A short or incomplete circuit somewhere.

Any idea what you did specificily in bios?

civictyper16
12-30-2007, 01:50 PM
I put my cpu and ram linked and then put it to 3:2 ratio.I turned off the settings that says in the manual to achieve a better overclock then I pumped up the voltage.
Then I restarted the system which just quickly shut off I tried again it shut off and after that just got the - - error.
I'm afraid eddy is right I probably destroyed the nb with my ek water block.
At least it was fun while it lasted I haven't had my computer running for a couple a months because everytime it dies I would think of something else to do to the system by buying a new case lian li:D or watercooling.

The computer is on cardboard I am gonna keep retrying your steps might as well cause I cant rma until the 3rd.