PDA

View Full Version : High Def video camera

jimmsch
12-27-2007, 09:34 AM
I am not sure if this is the proper section to post this. I have a decent digital video camera that I like to use whenever I go on vacation. It is about 5 years old now and I am getting ready to visit new and exciting parts of the world. Well, new and exciting for me, anyway.

I was thinking on getting a new high def (1080p) video camera. I don't want to spend a fortune ($800 USD approx). I believe the newer generation video editing programs have high def capabilities.

My vacations usually span at least two weeks, and I take alot of video in that time, this year we will be away from home for the entire month. Last year in two weeks time I had more than 200GB of video.The reason I mention this is to make it clear that I cannot be limited to a small on board hard drive built into the camera. I absolutely must have removable media.

I like the mini DV tapes that my current camera uses, and I do see some HD cameras can use these tapes. I do not know if the tapes for the HD camera are the same as the ones my current camera uses, but it doesn't matter. I will buy whatever media is needed for whatever camera you all help me decide to buy.

Another option seems to be DVD-R. I don't know if these would be better than the Mini DV tapes or not. This is why I am asking for some more experienced opinions.

To sum it up: I am looking for a high def (1080p) video camera in the $800 USD price range that uses some sort of removable media as opposed to a small internal hdd.

I am also asking whether Mini DV tape is better or worse than DVD-R for this usage.

Thanks -Jim

MaxxxRacer
12-28-2007, 12:40 PM
The MiniDV HD cameras give you the best quality, barring the Professional Canon cameras (not sure what they use). Personally I have never liked the DVD-R cameras, especially because they generaly use mini DVD's which are more expensive (compared to regular DVD's) and not compatible with slot loading drives.

I do believe that the MiniDV HD cameras use the same exact tapes, but the tape manufactures marketing departments say otherwise. Its best to look this up on a camera by camera basis.

But TBH if you are looking for something good, 800 is a little low. If you up your budget to 900 there are some more possibilties, and at 1000 dollars, you can pretty much pick from any of the HD cameras, barring the ultra-high end ones.

Corsa
12-28-2007, 04:00 PM
..so u saying the hard drive based cameras aren't up to scratch?
(thinking of buying a camera soon here aswell..not sure which storage format to go for :confused: )

[XC] Lead Head
12-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Are you sure you want 1080p? 720p is still high def as well. If you go with 1080p, you will be going through tapes pretty fast. DVD-Rs even faster. If possible, I'd look for one with a built in harddrive and Mini-DV, that way if you run out of tapes, you still have space left for more.

MaxxxRacer
12-29-2007, 04:50 AM
..so u saying the hard drive based cameras aren't up to scratch?
(thinking of buying a camera soon here aswell..not sure which storage format to go for :confused: )

From what I have read, the compression ratio on the HDD models is higher so that they can fit more film time on them due to the fact that you need to get to a computer to dump the data whereas with Mini DV you can just slap a new tape in.

That said, if you dont plan on recording hours and hours and absolute video quality is not a paramount concern, the HDD based models are really cool.

jimmsch
12-29-2007, 12:32 PM
I think I have eliminated all other storage formats. Mini DV tapes are the way to go. I have looked over a few cameras and they say they can use regular Mini DV tapes or HD Mini DV tapes. I am willing to bet these tapes are all the same, just marketed differently as Maxx said.

1080p is not a MUST have. 720p is fine, I was just trying to stay a little bit ahead. My HDTV now only does 1080i, but I can be reasonably sure that I will have one that does 1080p soon enough. Maybe the cameras can be set for either 1080p or 720p with a button or something in the menu? Something new to consider.

$800 is an estimate...$1000 is still in the ballpark...barely!

Anybody got any makes/models in mind that will work for me?

Thanks

BobyTT
12-29-2007, 12:55 PM
I got recently Canon HG10 , 1080p , 40GB HDD , outstanding quality.

MaxxxRacer
12-30-2007, 10:14 AM
I would have to say canon or sony. But I hate sony so probably a canon. I will go through the models and see which one is the best of the bunch.

TheGoat Eater
01-15-2008, 06:29 AM
I would have to say canon or sony. But I hate sony so probably a canon. I will go through the models and see which one is the best of the bunch.

I second the canon :up: I tend to like their quality over sony:)

barnacle
01-15-2008, 06:55 AM
sony hv-20 wins every contest online for best consumer hd camera.

However i just purchased the jvc-hd7 because it feels much heavier has some nice manual options at your finertips and you cant forget the fact its black.
apparently the OIS is poor on it and the image quality i second place to the hv-20 but when i went into the hop (to browse not to buy as online is cheaper) once i held the JVC i wouldnt have looked at another plasticky fake silver light camera if you paid me.

hopefuly i made the right choice, waiting for arrival.

if out and out qulity is your main objective the hv-20 probably is for you and maxes your budget. the jvc is a little more expensive,