PDA

View Full Version : Canon Powershot SX100IS

STEvil
12-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Got one of these for x-mas and I like it so far (only taken about 10 pics) but i've noticed it seems the pictures are grainy?

Really interesting to macro an LCD though.. you can see the pixels lol ;)

jimmyz
12-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Got one of these for x-mas and I like it so far (only taken about 10 pics) but i've noticed it seems the pictures are grainy?

Really interesting to macro an LCD though.. you can see the pixels lol ;)

ok STEvil, you know we gotta say the obligatory: this thread is useless without pics.... show us what you mean.

STEvil
12-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Pics all seem to be about 3.5MB+ in size. They are all in .jpg.. still playing with things.

Bottom left pic is everything stock/auto and no zoom.

Bottom right is same zoomed in all the way (10x optical) on an the same area (with camera, not zoomed by any software)

Top is a macro of the bottom right corner of the LCD on the laptop i'm using, but the paint is sparkled so it doesnt really count that much I guess ;)

All pics are 1:1 in size, no zooming using PSP or any software at all. What you see is from the camera, nothing else.

STEvil
12-25-2007, 04:28 PM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SX100IS/SX100ISA.HTM

Looks like the auto settings just use a bit of a high ISO is all maybe.

jimmyz
12-25-2007, 04:51 PM
they do look like some noise issue is there but given canon's usual quality i'm sure it is in the settings, i bet once you get the hang of it it will be awesome. 8mp cameras are sweet i'm still using a 5.0 kodak. but it is good enough for me since i'm no camera guru. try using the menu to select highest quality image, largest size, however it denotes it.

STEvil
12-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Yeah, same.

STEvil
12-25-2007, 11:41 PM
How's this for a macro shot?

ISO ~80 iirc, 10x zoom at approximately 10" distance.

Know a good place to upload ~4mb? If so I can put up the full picture.

jimmyz
12-26-2007, 01:50 AM
image shack allows 5mb.that is what i use.

dinos22
12-26-2007, 02:05 AM
manually set ISO to 80/100/200 and you should not have an image as grainy as that

i try to use 80 most of the time

i have a Canon G9

Magnj
12-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Your gonna get noise with a 8mp sensor like that :-/

They stick a big number on it but the sensor doesn't get proportionally bigger and you get lots of noise, thats why I tell people to stick with the 6MP's

itznfb
12-26-2007, 10:51 AM
i noticed a lot of noise on the SX100 and G9 when i was trying them out before xmas. i planned on getting my parents a camera like that but the default settings seemed to produce poor image quality. i knew it wasn't the camera because i've seen pictures with these cameras that are as good as my D50's with mid-range nikkor lense. i have a friend with the SX100IS and he thought about returning it due to initial experience. but as the other guys said work with the settings and you'll get some great pics from it.

i ended up getting my parents a SD870 instead, its more compact and takes amazingly high quality photos right out of the box. its about $60 cheaper now though :(

MaxxxRacer
12-26-2007, 12:17 PM
The camera is setting the ISO very high so that you can shoot with a faster shutter speed in low light. Go take some outdoor pictures and you will notice that the grain is gone.

Here is a good article describing ISO with regard to digital cameras http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=sensitivity

But if you want to get the most out of your camera you should read up on all the basic tutorials on DP Review. They are more about the technical aspects of the camera than photographic technique, but you need to understand how to use the camera before you try to take good photos with it.

STEvil
12-26-2007, 05:26 PM
I think i've got it figured out ;)

Just need to remember to have stupid amounts of light and crank down on the ISO lol ;)

dinos22
12-26-2007, 05:34 PM
yup you got it
heh :D:up:

itznfb
12-26-2007, 06:10 PM
I think i've got it figured out ;)

Just need to remember to have stupid amounts of light and crank down on the ISO lol ;)

so how do you like it so far??? :cool:

i'm pretty jealous of the 870 i got my parents. i might have to get one for myself now :D

STEvil
12-26-2007, 06:26 PM
I noticed some Nikon's for $30 more that have interchangable lenses today.... tempted to take it back and spend the extra 30 lol.

I like it though, just takes him to learn it.

MaxxxRacer
12-27-2007, 12:26 AM
I noticed some Nikon's for $30 more that have interchangable lenses today.... tempted to take it back and spend the extra 30 lol.

I like it though, just takes him to learn it.

Nikon D40?? If that is one one you are refering to, it is a worthwile upgrade. While the D40 is only 6MP, 6MP is just fine unless you do large prints or are a real pixel counter. And if that is the case, the D40x is 10.2MP and can be had for a modest increase in price.

The good thing about the "interchangable lense" cameras is that they (DSLR's) generally handle low light/High ISO MUCH better than any point and shoot ever could due to the larger sensor and larger lenses.

STEvil
12-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Forget what models they were. 7.1mp for one and 8 for the other.

MaxxxRacer
12-27-2007, 06:42 PM
not the ones I mentioned then.

TheGoat Eater
01-15-2008, 06:35 AM
manual settings all the time!!! - the menus of canon's cameras are really easy to fly though umm... on the fly:D so its not to bad to make a change for the snapshot you want to take