PDA

View Full Version : Remounting heatpipes

Raxxath
12-24-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm about to remove the heatpipes on my Asus Blitz Formula and remount them because my temperatures are crappy. I have a few questions though, as I've never done this before...

1. The general consensus seems to be that you should use a hairdryer to heat up the epoxy beneath the northbridge to remove it(since I've already powered up the board). Do I need to do the same for the southbridge, mosfets, and Crosslinx?

2. Should I use a small dab of MX-2 on the chipset, like I would on a processor, or give it more TIM?

3. What's the best way to remount on the mosfets? Should I reuse the stock thermal tape? The mosfets aren't exactly a single flat surface as far as I know, so I'm not sure what to do...

4. If I ever wanted to use aftermarket blocks on the board, what would I do about cooling the Crosslinx chip?

I'm hoping to get this done and have the water cooling in by tonight.

momoceio
12-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Yes, you want to use a small dab of TIM too much TIM is always a bad thing. To remount the mosfets I would use some thermal adhesive paste and mix a little TIM in with it so the bond isn't TOO strong (in case you need to take them off)

Raxxath
12-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Yes, you want to use a small dab of TIM too much TIM is always a bad thing. To remount the mosfets I would use some thermal adhesive paste and mix a little TIM in with it so the bond isn't TOO strong (in case you need to take them off)

Why thermal adhesive for the mosfets? They do seem to have mounting clips, so I don't think there is any danger of the heatsinks falling off.

momoceio
12-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Didn't realize they had mounting clips. If the mosfets aren't all the same height then you'll want to use thermal tape on the ones that sit lower or just buy some individual ram sinks for them.

Nate P.
12-24-2007, 01:16 PM
For the mosfets, I just used Ciramique (or MX-2) and applied a little dab to each one, then just used the stock clips to put the heatsink back on. No adhesive needed.

Raxxath
12-24-2007, 01:29 PM
For the mosfets, I just used Ciramique (or MX-2) and applied a little dab to each one, then just used the stock clips to put the heatsink back on. No adhesive needed.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

Didn't realize they had mounting clips. If the mosfets aren't all the same height then you'll want to use thermal tape on the ones that sit lower or just buy some individual ram sinks for them.

I'll keep that in mind if I run into it, but hopefully I won't.

Is there anything else I should know before I attempt this? I really don't want to screw something up, my head might explode if I do. :eek:

Nate P.
12-24-2007, 01:31 PM
It's really simple. Remove heatpipes, clean, apply MX-2 to NB, SB, mosfets, and remount heatpipes. Couldn't be easier. Just be careful and you'll be fine. :)

Manicdan
12-24-2007, 01:40 PM
so he shouldnt need the hairdryer, and he shouldnt have to worry about epoxy?

Nate P.
12-24-2007, 01:43 PM
so he shouldnt need the hairdryer, and he shouldnt have to worry about epoxy?
I didn't with my DFI board, I just wiggled the heatsink back and forth (not straight up) until it was loose enough to take off.

STEvil
12-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Depends if you want it to perform the same as it did before or better.

If you want it better, epoxy will beat thermal pads on the mosfets. Make sure to mount using a clamp to keep board from bending due to clips. On chipset soldering it together (not chipset to heatpipe base) is best but not really easiest route. A clamp and epoxy will work better than original setup. Let set 24 hours.

EDIT

IE: Northbridge > TIM > Heatpipe base > Epoxy > Heatsink extension

Best to epoxy individual sinks to the mosfets...

Raxxath
12-24-2007, 06:38 PM
The heatpipes popped off pretty easily after heating them up for a few minutes. Is the P35 northbridge supposed to look like this...(sorry for the crappy pictures)? Did I remove the IHS? :eek:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/LordBrona/ad95d108.jpg

Here's what came off

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/LordBrona/b62c506e.jpg

Here are the mosfets... I should only put TIM on the flat, black squares, correct? Just making sure. :p:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/LordBrona/7369f1ef.jpg

Should I be worried that by replacing the stock thermal pad on the crosslinx chip, that a TIM won't be thick enough to properly connect it to the heatsink(similar to how you can't remount an 8800 stock cooler with TIM on the mosfets, because they won't touch properly)?

Underwater Mike
12-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Raxxath, I've never seen a NB chip that had an IHS, so you're fine. The stuff that peeled off is just the manufacturer's TIM. Can't answer the rest of your questions.

Jedda
12-24-2007, 07:22 PM
What you do want to pay attention to is alignment. The pipes bend easy and often come from the factory mis-aligned. Take your time to get each contact surface parallel. I have used a piece of glass before.

Raxxath
12-25-2007, 01:32 PM
I've come across a bit of a problem. I can't remove the thermal paste they used on the southbridge. I've tried alcohol and Arctic Cooling Thermal Remover with q-tips and towels, but the stuff will barely come off, and there's a lot of it. I also tried to heat it up with a hairdryer, but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Also, what is the function of that black, square-like border thing on the NB heatsink? I should leave that on, correct?

Underwater Mike
12-25-2007, 01:43 PM
I always use xylene (e.g., Goof Off). Usually gets anything, with some patience and elbow grease.

From the look of it I'd say the black thing is some sort of shim. How thick is it? Whenever I've removed/remounted chipset heatsinks, I always take them off. But, if you can clean the assembly without taking that off, leaving it on would prolly be best.

I've come across a bit of a problem. I can't remove the thermal paste they used on the southbridge. I've tried alcohol and Arctic Cooling Thermal Remover with q-tips and towels, but the stuff will barely come off, and there's a lot of it. I also tried to heat it up with a hairdryer, but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Also, what is the function of that black, square-like border thing on the NB heatsink? I should leave that on, correct?

Waterlogged
12-25-2007, 02:31 PM
A pic of the SB crap would be helpful.

That black stuff helps stabilize the cooler over the NB. It's really a thin foam or rubber shim to help make sure that the NB cooler is sitting properly on the top and not leaning to one side. Leave it if you can.

STEvil
12-25-2007, 02:33 PM
try a fingernail, or if its on the heatsink just use a razor. Be careful....

Raxxath
12-25-2007, 03:07 PM
A pic of the SB crap would be helpful.

That black stuff helps stabilize the cooler over the NB. It's really a thin foam or rubber shim to help make sure that the NB cooler is sitting properly on the top and not leaning to one side. Leave it if you can.

Thanks, I'll be sure to leave it then.

try a fingernail, or if its on the heatsink just use a razor. Be careful....

Fingernail didn't work, and I'm looking for a razor. I don't want to scratch the surface up, though. Still looking for something like goo-gone, too.

Here's the stuff on the southbridge heatsink:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/LordBrona/4beade3b.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/LordBrona/0fe0ac78.jpg

Nate P.
12-25-2007, 04:24 PM
About the mosfets, yes, a little dab on each black square (spread if you can).

Your OK with the NB P35 doesn't have a heatspreader, only the X38 chipset does.

For the stock crap (erm, thermal compound) try some Acetone or something like that.

Raxxath
12-26-2007, 01:29 PM
After a few hours with Goof-off and q-tips, I now have everything remounted. I only put MX-2 on the NB and SB though, I left the stock thermal pads on the mosfets and Crosslinx chip. I just hope temperatures aren't worse. :p:

While removing the stock heatsink of my 8800 Ultra, I did unscrew those 8 small screws that you apparently are not supposed to take out. I screwed them back in before I took off the heatsink though, so should I be okay?

Edit: No instructions for the G80 adapter came with my MCW60 as far as I can tell. I've searched every piece of paper. I've also searched Swiftech's site and forums, these forums and others, and can't find any instructions on how to change the plate.

Raxxath
12-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Sorry to bump so soon, but I really wanted to get this together tonight. I've checked the MCW60 packaging 20 times, there's nothing on the G80 adapter plate. I haven't had any luck with google so far.

I could probably put it together without instructions, but I don't want to take the chance of screwing things up.