PDA

View Full Version : EK SB blocks on striker and problems with soundcard.

crash5s
12-24-2007, 11:18 AM
I used to use a small fan on the SB but slapped another EK block down there. When I went to install the soundcard it didn't seem like it would push down properly due to the back of it getting stuck on the EK block. Obviously it's got to be that PCI slot since the other is blocked by the 8800 EK FC. Since I'm not the only one with a striker on liquid I was hoping somebody had a solution:shrug:

Snyxxx
12-24-2007, 02:13 PM
I used to use a small fan on the SB but slapped another EK block down there. When I went to install the soundcard it didn't seem like it would push down properly due to the back of it getting stuck on the EK block. Obviously it's got to be that PCI slot since the other is blocked by the 8800 EK FC. Since I'm not the only one with a striker on liquid I was hoping somebody had a solution:shrug:

I had the same problem with my MCW-30 and this is how I solved it.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167152

crash5s
12-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Neat, but with the EK block it's the actual acrylic top that's to high, I'm wondering how safe it would be to file it down.

crash5s
12-24-2007, 04:09 PM
How much would you need to file down? It's pretty easy to see how thick the tops are. If needed you can always order a acetal top only from EK. Since there's no channels on the underside of the top itself, you may be able to cut out a channel on the top of the top with a dremel if it doesn't need to be to deep.

Making acrylic thinner by filing is a little scary, but wouldn't be a problem with acetal.

andyc

Not much. I thought the block was supposed to be made so that you could mount a sound card over it, given that it's the one specifically for the chipsets.

However the acrylic around the bottom left screw seems to be in the way.