PDA

View Full Version : KG7 line will not be supporting the XP 2200 .13 cores and above. Right from Abit

gtghm
07-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Hello, I know that this has been going around for a while now.
It is not new news that the XP 2200 .13 core does not work in the KG7 line of MOBs and some others.
What is new and I can't speak for the others but I can for the KG7-Raid.
I just got off the Phone with Abit Tech support and the RMA department.
I contacted then conserning my RMA. (the 2nd RMA now) I was supprised to see it on it's way back already. I did find out that they are sending me a different board however that board will not be supporting the XP 2200 CPU. When qurried about the fact that I specificaly asked for them to make sure it worked with the XP2200, they replied they do not do that kind of work. I then made reference to the fact that a BIOS update was made availabe that stated that it was supposed to support the XP2200. Their reply was that they did not see that on the site.
Well... knowing that I had seen it some time ago I went to the site while I had them on the phone, and much to my suprise the statement in the 8S BIOS notes Supports XP2200 .13 is now GONE! that's right gone.
I explained that according to this and many other forums that have people trying to use the XP2200 in the KG series MOB's that there are a lot of poeple that think they will be returning their board to them for rework that will allow the XP 2200 to work. Again they replied they do not do that kind of work there.
So I said then you are saying that your company's offical position is that the KG7-R will not be supporting the XP2200 or any other .13 core. They said yes. I told them to be expecting a whole bunch of unhappy people contacting them then.

I'm glad that I'm done with Abit. When I get it back, it goes to the highest bidder.

There you have it. 7/12/02 5:20PM PST

I'm out,
"g"

MrIcee
07-12-2002, 05:18 PM
Hi my friend:)

As with the other Abit boards...I think you will find if you close the 5th L3 bridge on the 2200+..the board will recognize the cpu and you'll be able to use the T-Bred...with multi's ranging from 5-12.5. The only drawback is that you'd have to run 12.5x144Mhz FSB to attain it's 1800Mhz rating.

I realize this is not a fix for the board..as far as I'm concerned there is no excuse for the inability of these boards to function with the T-bred, but this is merely a workaround to be able to use the T-Bred on our KG7/KR7A/AT-7/KX7 boards and be able to enjoy the newest AMD has to offer.:)

Randi :D

gtghm
07-12-2002, 09:52 PM
Dude... I just gotta say that you are one cool dude.
After the lambasteing I took at another place where I posted the same/simular message for my views on Abit you actually came up with a soultion rather than post some zellot type reply.

I must say that I hope it helps for others to see that there is a possible work around but I have decided to try brand X. I done such a great job of screwing things up in not obtaining a fully stable long term AMD rig that I just have to try the other brand to see if I can acheive the same results.

My one observation about the work around is that if a KG7 owner buys an AMD XP2200+ reatil buy connecting the bridge they risk voiding the warranty. Now I'm sure most folks that come here won't worry about it, after all this is the Xtream systems forum. Not for the squemish computer dudes that's for sure.... :grin

Thanks again,
"g"

dmitriyaz
07-12-2002, 09:57 PM
hey gtghm, you ready to sell your stuff yet? me waiting :toast:

gtghm
07-12-2002, 10:40 PM
Pretty soon.
When I get back from vacation I'll be ordering the rest of my other parts.
Then the fun starts.
I got my Ram and Raid card already.
I'm hopeing that the 2.8 Xeons come out and drive the price of the 2.4's down to the level of the 2.2's now. That would be sweet in deed.

What is it exactally you would be interestead in?
"g"

dmitriyaz
07-12-2002, 10:47 PM
lets see...that alpha heatsink, you mobo, NOT you CPU, NOT you RAM (you'll probably charge too much for it); and some other stuff. or, i could buy it all together, or at least much of it--al together, to save on shipping :) make sure you email me when your ready :)