PDA

View Full Version : HX620 running extremely hot

S1mon-
12-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Hello Yellobeard/Corsair Rep,

I bought a HX620 about a month ago and I've always noticed the PSU temperature was a lil high but I thought it was normal... Lately I hooked it up in my case and even at idle, the PSU is still hot... So I decided to put a 80mm fan outside my case pulling the hot air from the PSU outside and I noticed hot air was going out just like if a stressed video card would pull hot air outside the case...

I think the PSU has some problem somehow and would like to know if it is any normal... Also, sometimes during long gaming period (1:30-2h) the PC just freeze and I have to reboot the whole thing. When that happen, when I touch the PSU, it is like burning inside and it's almost dangerous to touch it lol

So whats the deal?

S1mon-
12-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Also I wanted to say that I noticed the fan does not spin very fast... I can easily enter a finger though the protector and touch the fan which seems to run very slowly, I would guess about 800-1000 RPM... Isn't it suppose to run higher when the PSU is being stressed?

irev210
12-22-2007, 08:33 PM
While I cant comment for corsair -- having purchased a lot of corsair power supplies and the HX620 specifically Ill throw in my two cents.

The HX620 is designed to be ultra quiet. To run quiet and still put out a lot of power they packed it with some very nice high-quality parts that still put out 620W even at a full 50C.

Just because something runs hot doesnt mean that it is bad :)

You have a rather ambitious overclock... I would blame your lack of stability on your overclocked system...

Does your system still crash at stock speeds?

S1mon-
12-22-2007, 08:44 PM
mm haven't really tested out stability at stock actually, but my system seems stable... Memtest is good to go up at 200% +... It's only when I start Prime 95 after like an hour the system shut down for no reason even though I give more than enough voltage for the whole thing...

The thing that bugs me is that the PSU is very hot even at idle even though lots of people on different forums claimed the PSU was cold at idle and only warm at full... When I think about the fact this PSU can easily run dual 8800GT normally and mine is hot while powering only one, I gotta ask myself some questions...

S1mon-
12-22-2007, 08:45 PM
And its not really a matter of airflow... My system has a good airflow and I used this PSU outside of the case for about 2 weeks at the beginning and it was still damn hot :(

Yellowbeard
12-23-2007, 11:37 AM
It actually sounds like the unit is running hotter than it should. We'll happily RMA it for you if you like. Use this link for an RMA direct with Corsair if you don't to RMA with your vendor.

http://www.corsair.com/helpdesk/default.aspx

Sorry you had the issue, happy holidays.

S1mon-
12-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks Yellowbeard, I just filled the RMA link you gave me :)

Yellowbeard
12-23-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm sick in bed with the flu but it just dawned on me, you won't get a reply until at least WED as we are closed MON-TUE for Christmas.

S1mon-
12-23-2007, 08:24 PM
It's allright :) My PSU still "works" but I will definetely feel better when I'll receive my new one :)