PDA

View Full Version : Wynn's Cooling

Vargher Warg
12-19-2007, 01:30 PM
First of all! I would like to thank everybody here for helping us
watercooling noobs to become one of you in the "Wet Brotherhood" :up:

I just received my watercooling stuff from the U.K - and I'm about to
build my system during the Christmas holidays.

To many people are reporting different ways to clean a new PA120.3

So today when I was in a spare-part shop for cars, buying stuff for my dear old Alfa Romeo, I found this radiator cleaning liquid from Wynn's.

It's looks like a soda can and says: "Wynn's Cooling System Flush" for radiators -on the outside of the can.

Anyway I bought one of this,(expensive as hell) and I'm now wondering if it could make any harm to my new Thermochill radiator if I use this solution?.

Of course I'm aware that this stuff is made för car radiators, but would
it be so very different from my PA120.3 radiators?

I just want this watercooling experience to be perfect, so I don't wanna mess this up by using some strange acid solution made for car radiators if It's going to do/make any damage to the rad?

There is no description of what kind of chemicals that are used inside the can.

But the guy in the store told me that this is really good for car radiator-cleaning.

So! sorry for this grown up man's question - but do you think I will be OK to flush the radiator with this car stuff?

I'm so paranoid with this watercooling experience, and want everything to be just fine and dandy from the start, I guess I get to relax later when the system is fine and is up and running without any problems!

Thanks in advance - and I wish all of you happy holidays and a merry Christmas!

Fujimitsu
12-19-2007, 01:33 PM
I've seen people use radiator flush before with no problems, though I never have myself. Should work just fine as long as you don't leave it in there too long, follow the instructions and I'd say you're OK.

Exahertz
12-19-2007, 02:05 PM
There is no description of what kind of chemical's that are used, inside the can.

That indicates that the stuff has no kick and theres nothing good in it. does it smell like a detergent, slovent or something else? you should be looking for the MSDS for that product and you'll find everything you ever need to know, except how to actually use it.

Vargher Warg
12-19-2007, 02:10 PM
I've seen people use radiator flush before with no problems, though I never have myself. Should work just fine as long as you don't leave it in there too long, follow the instructions and I'd say you're OK.

Thanks Fujimitsu!

That's sounds great! - Well! on the description It says: Run your engine for fifteen minutes and drain and flush/rinse well afterwards - then refill your system with new coolant.
So I guess I have to translate that into a computer kind of way of doing it - He-he!. :)

BTW! I bought 5 gallons of fine destilled water at the same shop - so I have plenty to flush/rinse the rads afterwards.

Thanks! :up:

Fujimitsu
12-19-2007, 02:20 PM
http://www.wynns.ca/pages/english/e_products_x-cool.html

There's MSDS sheets if you need them.

It doesn't look to be too nasty, so I don't think it will do any harm. As far as how well it will clean? tough to say really, although if you flush well enough with it you should be ok.

Vargher Warg
12-19-2007, 02:34 PM
That indicates that the stuff has no kick and theres nothing good in it. does it smell like a detergent, slovent or something else? you should be looking for the MSDS for that product and you'll find everything you ever need to know, except how to actually use it.

OK! I hear you! but apperently this stuff works well for the rads of performance cars - so how could it be so very differnt? a rad is a rad! - or!

They had cheaper alternative solutions in the shop, but this was the
most expensive and better one - according to the guy who was selling me this.

This shop has a good reputation among car enthusiats here in
Stockholm and I went with my wife who is related with
the owner in some way - second cousins or simular.

Yeah! You're right about that - but I think It's strange as well, because all chemicals should be decleared as of some rule from the EU.

So what gives? should I use this or not?

Thanks

metro.cl
12-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Ahh i read Victor Wang damn to much coffe for me :lol

Exahertz
12-19-2007, 04:39 PM
when i say "it doesnt have any good stuff in it", im not at all saying that it doesnt have chemicals that will clean radiators. im just saying that theres no good and strong chemicals in it. for instense, Vinigar was (and still is) used to clean radiators very well. but you dont see much MSDS info on a bottle of Vinigar.

i say try it. start small and see what comes out. if it requires the rad to be warm then let the rad's fins sit under some running hot water while the cleaner soaks inside.

Justintoxicated
12-19-2007, 04:52 PM
I didn't clean mine...I guess I should have but what problems are people having with them?

You cuold test the solution on a penny or some copper and see how it reacts?

Nate P.
12-19-2007, 05:25 PM
I didn't clean mine...I guess I should have but what problems are people having with them?

Usually the gunk in the rad clogs your blocks and pump. Thermochills are especially bad, I hear.

Vargher Warg
12-19-2007, 05:41 PM
when i say "it doesnt have any good stuff in it", im not at all saying that it doesnt have chemicals that will clean radiators. im just saying that theres no good and strong chemicals in it. for instense, Vinigar was (and still is) used to clean radiators very well. but you dont see much MSDS info on a bottle of Vinigar.

i say try it. start small and see what comes out. if it requires the rad to be warm then let the rad's fins sit under some running hot water while the cleaner soaks inside.

Okey! I got it know! - the MSDS stuff! - sorry if I misunderstod you! :up:

Well, I will try to mix it with some hot distilled water and fill the rad up to half.
Then shake the hell out of it for 10-15 minutes, and then let it soak for 10 minutes and shake it again some more - to see if it works. (I will try to use a mix of only 2-3% of the solution with the destilled)

Yes that's an good Idea to try first with a copper coin or some old copper stuff before I wet the rad. :up:

Thanks for the feedback guys!

And I let you know later how it went.

Happy Holidays!

Vargher Warg
12-19-2007, 06:24 PM
i'd stay away, just boil the rad

Yes! with some more thinking about this, maybe just boil the rad is the best
way to start out with. And after a couple of shaking sessions, see if the water gets clear. If It's still cloudy after the 5th flush with destilled, then I try with a weak mix of this "cooling system flush formula".

I feel like a sissy for not having the guts to try it out from the beginning of the cleaning, but I guess It's better to be safe than sorry! :p:

Thanks for your input KaptC!

Jedda
12-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Thermochill rads are made with water soluble flux. The only thing to be cleaned out of one is the flux residue from manufacture. This should be done with water only. Give it a shake with hot water and rinse etc.
After you are getting clean water out of the rad, place a glass full to one side for a few hours. Then inspect glass for any sediment.
Only water guys. No chemical cleaners or vinegar!

Waterlogged
12-19-2007, 10:57 PM
:soap:

God Damn It! Don't People Read Anymore?

Now that I have your undivided attention :D

I posted just yesterday that vinegar should never be used to clean a rad anymore. Read the FAQ that is supposed to come with the PA120.x"s or go to Thermochill's website and read it there. For the lazy, stupid and criminally insane, I'll provide the links here (for about the tenth time).

http://www.thermochill.com/faq.html

The really important part of the FAQ is #11

11 - Flushing / Prepwork
All Thermochill radiators are flushed at the factory, however there may still be some residues within the system. Thermochill only use water-based soldering flux... as such it is recommended that the radiator is flushed by recirculating hot water for an hour. This should be more than enough to break down any flux residue. The radiator should then be flushed with room temperature distilled water for 15 minutes.

/:soap:

Mango31
12-20-2007, 12:30 AM
I used such a car radiator flush thingy - filled the 120.3 and heated it up over boiling water. Afterwards i flushed it with tap water followed by distilled water and had the impression it was perfectly clean.

However, i forgot the MCP655 pump which blew a white cloud in my loop... lol. I really felt stupid :rolleyes: .

Vargher Warg
12-20-2007, 03:50 AM
:soap:

God Damn It! Don't People Read Anymore?

Now that I have your undivided attention :D

I posted just yesterday that vinegar should never be used to clean a rad anymore. Read the FAQ that is supposed to come with the PA120.x"s or go to Thermochill's website and read it there. For the lazy, stupid and criminally insane, I'll provide the links here (for about the tenth time).

http://www.thermochill.com/faq.html

The really important part of the FAQ is #11

/:soap:

CARAMBA! :eek:

He-he! criminally insane! :yepp: yepp! that's me in a nutshell! :ROTF:

No! I'm just Lazy! looking for the easy way out, of doing things!

But now I have read up on the PA120.3 cleaning procedure, and I guess that
you're right about everything in your post above!

It's clearly written that Thermochill are using a water-based soldering flux.
So today I went to the plummer-shop and bought some connection for my tap
in the bathroom.

So now I'm gonna connect everything with hoses and flush the rad with hot tap water instead.

The tap-water we have here in Sweden is very clean, and I will rinse the
rad with plenty of destilled afterwards.

So this is maybe a better approach to clean the rad, if not any of you guys
have some objections against this approach?

First I'll boil some distilled and fill the rad to half, then shaking it for
10 minutes and let it soak for 20 minutes, then shake some more.

Doing this 3-4 times, and then flush it connected with hoses to the hot
tap-water and let flush until It's clean enough. Later rinse and shake
with plenty of room temp distilled water. I think I'll try this workflow now! :up:

I used such a car radiator flush thingy - filled the 120.3 and heated it up over boiling water. Afterwards i flushed it with tap water followed by distilled water and had the impression it was perfectly clean.

However, i forgot the MCP655 pump which blew a white cloud in my loop... lol. I really felt stupid :rolleyes: .

Yeah! sounds good! that's why I felt the urge to try it myself, but now I'm
little confused about what chemicals wynn's are using? I don't want to make
any damage to the rad.

But I'm such a sissy, and don't have the guts to try this approach.
Maybe wynn's is the best thing since sliced bread? - I guess I will never
know? - because I'm a sissy! :chicken: