PDA

View Full Version : rad in water?

KennethChong
08-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but could you put a rad in a container of water, maybe with a fan on the top, and keep a decent temp?

sandman
08-03-2003, 09:54 PM
I think it would just heat up the water.

Teus
08-03-2003, 11:20 PM
that water needs to be cooled then. forget about a reservoir of 10L, you'll need something really big if you're using the machine for a long while...

make sure the outside of the radiator is full copper, an aluminium radiator would get rusty. something like a heatercore would be fine

Cathar
08-04-2003, 02:09 AM
A radiator is more generically know as a water-air heat exchanger. They typically make for poor efficiency water-water heat-exchangers.

As others have already said though, you still have to cool the water that the radiator sits in.

I'm not sure why people insist on putting a radiator in water though. Surely you'd just discard the radiator and pump the water that you originally planned to sit the radiator in....

Tweaked!
08-04-2003, 02:16 AM
Actually, if you suspended the radiator in the air up above the reservoir of water and had a fish pump spraying a heavy mist over the radiator, you'd get a decent cooling ability out of it then. Plus with the water being sprayed into the air in much smaller amounts, it would cool itself at the same time.

NickK
08-04-2003, 02:52 AM
Ok - I've seen this done before with a heat exhanger made of a loose coil of copper. The copper coil is then either placed in the cold water tank of the house, the toilet cistern (regular flushing is needed so the larger the family the better) or as one guy did put an old gas cylinder into at 10ft hole in the back garden with a series of input/output pipes added - the water is then cooled by the surrounding earth.

IamAnoobieCheez
08-04-2003, 08:41 AM
Chong, I thought you're the person who established good -17C or below liquid chilling method. Why don't you use that method, having large volume liquid directly in the deep freezer and run it, no radiator, like you did before.

KennethChong
08-04-2003, 09:15 AM
Yea i did, but i sold that stuff a while back, not a good idea :/ Im trying to get a freind to let me use his freezer, hopefully he will. I was just wondering what kind of preformance you would get from a submerged rad. I think ill try it later today just for fun. Guna need some kind of active cooling though.

IamAnoobieCheez
08-04-2003, 10:18 AM
ah ok. :)

well sounds pretty interesting. Good luck on your quest. :)

saaya
08-04-2003, 10:58 AM
you mean fill an old freezer with a large watertank and submerge a rad in that water? it works great, ive seen that before but the freezer needed an unholy amount of electricity to keep the water cool.

KennethChong
08-04-2003, 11:01 AM
i was thinking a little diffrently, but that might work. Wasnt the way i had my old waterchiller set up but it might work if i put a large enough tank in it.

What kind of temps did they get?

IamAnoobieCheez
08-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by saaya
you mean fill an old freezer with a large watertank and submerge a rad in that water? it works great, ive seen that before but the freezer needed an unholy amount of electricity to keep the water cool.
no, fill liquid(mixture) directly in the deep freezer. There is no container of any kind. No res and no radiator used. Direct water flow for minimal flow resistence and increased heat transfer. I have 40 gallons of liquid filled up in the deep freezer. Once the liquid gets to down to the cold temperatures i.e. -10~ -30C, it'll stay there with the system running all day. With maximum load and both CPU and GPU+pelt running, the temperature goes up very slowly and still maintains in the -10C range. Let it charge up some more overnite and back to -20 or so.

TheDude
08-04-2003, 12:48 PM
Damn....too bad I don't live just a little closer to Lake Erie! Be awesome in the winter! ;) :D

saaya
08-04-2003, 01:01 PM
What kind of temps did they get?

5°C i think...

Damn....too bad I don't live just a little closer to Lake Erie! Be awesome in the winter! LOL! :p: i bet youd leave a smokin hole in the ice :rotf:

nice to see ya back dude, how are your bones doing?

KennethChong
08-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Got a good deal on a mini freezer at a local shop. Guess im just guna do what i did last time. Now i have to break out all my insulating stuff, god i hate insulating. O well, -10c should be good for my nb and 9800.

jaawood
08-05-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Teus
that water needs to be cooled then. forget about a reservoir of 10L, you'll need something really big if you're using the machine for a long while...

make sure the outside of the radiator is full copper, an aluminium radiator would get rusty. something like a heatercore would be fine

aluminum doesn't rust....