PDA

View Full Version : what adhesives for thermo-sensors?

kinghong1970
12-19-2007, 08:30 AM
i have the sunbeam theta and i was wondering if it's safe to use superglue such as crazyglue, or even silicone glue (for a less permanent option) to my copper blocks?

also, i believe there are programs that will monitor the temps better at CPU/NB/SB/GPU... iirc everest does this...

what other parts is a good idea to mount sensors?

Fujimitsu
12-19-2007, 08:39 AM
i have the sunbeam theta and i was wondering if it's safe to use superglue such as crazyglue, or even silicone glue (for a less permanent option) to my copper blocks?

also, i believe there are programs that will monitor the temps better at CPU/NB/SB/GPU... iirc everest does this...

what other parts is a good idea to mount sensors?

I'd think an adhesive that's meant to be thermally conductive like arctic silver adhesive or something would give you the best results. However a blob of AS5 in between the probe and the block, with superglue over it would probably work. Silicone adhesives (the cheap plumbing kind) bond pretty well to copper, so that wouldn't be a horrible idea.

Your best bet is to do like they do for LN2 containers, drill into the block and glue a probe inside. I think if you just silicone glue the probe to the edge of the block you're gonna get a pretty inaccurate measurement.

kinghong1970
12-19-2007, 08:46 AM
thanks for reply... the thermo-sensors that i have comes with this amber colored tape that looses the adhesive-ness after handling it a bit...

i remember it was a pain in the ass to stick it to anything...

hence the glue idea...

Xilikon
12-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Bring the ideas, I might be interested to new ideas myself for my next stade of my WaveMaster project.

Jedda
12-19-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm experimenting with 3M double sided industrial atm for my digital sensors. Its transparent which beats bright yellow. lol
I'll post after a few more days.

foodfightr
12-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I just use electrical tape to stick it on there.

kinghong1970
12-19-2007, 11:35 AM
duct tape?

Boogerlad
12-19-2007, 01:07 PM
just get some regular tim and some epoxy and mix in a 3:2 ratio. That way, it's not permanent, but it's thermally conductive. I found this on overclockers.com

iandh
12-20-2007, 03:09 PM
thanks for reply... the thermo-sensors that i have comes with this amber colored tape that looses the adhesive-ness after handling it a bit...

i remember it was a pain in the ass to stick it to anything...

hence the glue idea...

That tape is Kapton, there are two types, one with acrylic and one with silicone based adhesive, I would guess that they supplied the one with acrylic adhesive which is quite worthless.

Jedda
12-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Dupont or 3M make Kapton tape. It comes in big rolls though, unless you can find a retailer who will subdivide.
$5 a roll here (http://www.kaptontape.com/1_Mil_Kapton_tape.php) in the US.

Talonman
12-20-2007, 06:48 PM
I don't want to jack this thread, but I am intreasted in installing some extra temp sensors too. Is there a 1 best type of kit for this with a neet digital readout?

I would be a sucker for a nice temp sensor kit, especially if it had good install instructions too.

Jedda
12-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Theres a bunch available Sunbeam, Zalman, Matrix Orbital, Chrystalfontz, M-cube, Alphacool, DIY etc.
Start another thread. lol

Talonman
12-20-2007, 07:49 PM
It seemed like this one did run its cource, but I I captain... lol back.

Jedda
12-20-2007, 07:55 PM
What I meant was it can be a big discussion, with so many types.
Cheers mate.

Talonman
12-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Understood. Thanks for the post. :)