PDA

View Full Version : using comp as TV

jaawood
08-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Ok guys, i wanna try and hook up a cable line into my computer so i can watch TV through my monitor. So, i am kind of curious how to do that. i saw this leadtek card on newegg, and i think it is the right thing for me. will it work?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=14-122-132&DEPA=1

TheDude
08-03-2003, 03:35 PM
It will work fine. Go to the Leadtek website and download the latest drivers and the latest pvr program.
Just hook your cable to the card..watch TV and capture video and still shots....lots of fun. :D

IFMU
08-03-2003, 03:57 PM
From what I have heard that is about the best TV Card you can get for that kinda cost.
Thats the same one I will be getting once I get a few spare bucks runnin around.
If you get it before I do let me know Id like to hear more on how it does.

jaawood
08-03-2003, 04:49 PM
ok thanks guys. i plan on getting it in about a week wehn i get to college to hook up to the connection there. ill test it out for you and let you know after i get it set up and everything.

IFMU
08-05-2003, 12:55 PM
Well turns out I am getting the tax check! :D actually, just got it!~!
So, with an order Ive been planning on making I decided to go ahead and get it. So its been ordered!~!~!
Ill let you know how it goes!~!

jaawood
08-05-2003, 10:36 PM
way to go! tax checks are allllways goood!!! ill be ordering mine in a couple of days probably, although only with a positive rec from you of course! good luck :)

shogan191
08-06-2003, 07:58 PM
What do you do if your running a cable internet connection, run a splitter.

dafanman
08-06-2003, 11:12 PM
Hey peeps,

I have that card running in my system, sweet deal at newegg.

Have used it to capture various fights, WWE events, and currently using it to take various clips off of vhs tapes.

Did you know that you can capture radio to wma, wave or mp3?

Great picture quality on time warner cable, and yes its split off to the cable modem, not a problem either way, cable techs may sometimes try and tell you that it cant be done , but they are wrong, this is my 3rd tuner, previous was Pinnacle pvtv, and prev to that was aver media, the winfast is by far the best, and at the price you cant beat it, Ive got several of my customers using them in various ways.

Enjoy:toast: , And make sure and get the updated drivers off the web site as mentioned earlier, and take time to read the install instructions, cause if you dont..........:mad:

jaawood
08-10-2003, 04:00 PM
So, did you get the card yet IFMU?

IFMU
08-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Yea I have, Ive played with it a lil, but formatted and ran some stuff. So havent really messed with it a whole lot. Does seem pretty nice so far though. Ill update more later on when I get the chance to really get into it.

jaawood
08-11-2003, 12:26 AM
ok sounds cool:D

Sick0fthelies
08-18-2003, 06:09 PM
I got the Leadtek Tv Tuner 2000 XP a few months ago, so that i could use my ps2 on my monitor, but i sold my ps2, and now i have a tv tuner i dont need. It worked fairly well while i had, but the leadtek pvr program was pretty poor quality. I reccommend a program called Dscaler which gives much better resolution. Thats what i used for my ps2 and my friends xbox. I should probably post it on the for sale board...

IFMU
08-21-2003, 06:53 PM
Well Ive been a lil sick and didnt go into work today. So sittin here decided to do some messing.
Seems pretty kewl overall. Has some pretty nice settings that can be done with it. Some have better purposes then others, but still neat non-the-less.
One thing, you can set it to have the TV as the desktop image. And no I dont mean full screen, although it can do that too. lol
Wish it has a stronger built in (radio) antenna, but its not too bad, just more wiring that has to be strung about if you want to use the FM on it.
Ive messed with the recording a little bit and it seems like it should be ok, but everytime Ive tried to watch what I recorded using Windows Media Player, it will lock the system. I can watch it fine using the DVD Software that comes with the card, but its a lil annoying.
Other videos I have that are the same format that I play in WMP all the time still work fine, but the file thats recorded in this wont play. Even being the same format...?! Not to sure, nothing major but a little annoying.

Still, overall, I would have to say a pretty nice piece of hardware. Software that goes with it is a little confusing when installing, but goes in easy enough and pretty nice overall.

Amoeba Assassin
08-21-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Sick0fthelies
I got the Leadtek Tv Tuner 2000 XP a few months ago, so that i could use my ps2 on my monitor, but i sold my ps2, and now i have a tv tuner i dont need. It worked fairly well while i had, but the leadtek pvr program was pretty poor quality. I reccommend a program called Dscaler which gives much better resolution. Thats what i used for my ps2 and my friends xbox. I should probably post it on the for sale board...

good idea.

Sick0fthelies
08-22-2003, 07:18 AM
Id rather have a $500 sold and a $50 one laying around than the opposite. I sold it because i wanted to have watercooling instead, and got a new rig with it. It was well spent money.

IFMU
08-30-2003, 05:32 AM
Ok, thought I would update a lil. Ive been using this card more and more. I gotta say, being able to record TV shows/movies whatever I am really really getting to like this thing.
Ive missed quite a few of the very few shows I actually watch. Now I can record and the quality is IMO very friggin nice.
This is much better then the last I had.
Granted I would imagine there are some that are better, but this sucker is way worth the money, without a doubt.

Tweaked!
08-30-2003, 06:58 AM
Ok, I've got a question or two for yas. I've never considered using one of these before, but I've sparked a little interest in it after reading this post and seeing just how cheap these cards actually are. I had figured this technology would be a little more expensive than it actually is.

So, is this card cable ready as it sits? I see that it has coaxial cable connections, but is it truely cable ready? I've got cable in the house here, and would want to connect up to that.
Currently I've got digital cable boxes on my tvs, would I need another digital box to be compatible with my current hook up? Or would it run as basic cable?

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future, but these are the ones I need to know about before purchasing one.

IFMU
08-30-2003, 07:11 AM
Well bub, I will answer the best I can. ;)
It has a coax connection in the back. Your cable can plug directly into it and run the TV Software from it to whatever channel you can pick up. I am not to sure if it would pick up all the digital info without the digital box being inbetween it and the wall or not. I would more then likely bet that you would need to go from the wall to the digital converter box then into the TV Card.

Sick0fthelies
08-30-2003, 10:46 AM
In my house i get about 1/3 of the basic channels without a box, and theyre in random order.