PDA

View Full Version : CFM Sweet Spot for MCR320QP?

Looker
12-18-2007, 09:58 AM
I currently am running a MCR320QP and Medium Yates and am wondering if anyone knows what the "sweet spot" is for these. I know the PA120.3 has been designed for low cfm's and the 320 is for higher but what is the max CFM that I will see be of use on this rad? I am thinking of changing out my fans but don't want to get more CFM than I can make good use of (i.e. more noise and no additional benefit) but I want to maximize the cooling ability of my rad which I don't think I am at 1600RPM yates...

Waterlogged
12-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Rad/Fan selection is directly related to heat load placed upon the loop. Without knowing what parts you are cooling, no one can give you any kind of answer. Odds are, you are already using what you need.

Exahertz
12-18-2007, 10:09 AM
I would imagine there is some correlation between thermal load and airflow requirments.

I would like to know what the optimum flow required at the maximum thermal load of 400 watts on a mcr320 is?

billb
12-18-2007, 10:27 AM
I currently am running a MCR320QP and Medium Yates and am wondering if anyone knows what the "sweet spot" is for these. The more CFMs, the better the cooling ...period. Choose a noise level you're comfortable with, that's about all you can do. Swiftech has only published data for the Delta FB1212M fans @ 12v http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCR320-QP.asp

Waterlogged
12-18-2007, 10:56 AM
The more CFMs, the better the cooling ...period. Choose a noise level you're comfortable with, that's about all you can do. Swiftech has only published data for the Delta FB1212M fans @ 12v http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCR320-QP.asp

While this is true, many members here would find a 144CFM Delta screaming @ ~37 dBA's very unacceptable. It's also very likely that those fans are total overkill for most of the rigs here, well, except for the few nuclear reactors they would be fine, but that's beside the point. There are quieter fans that do the job just as well, it's just a matter of taking some time to do the math and finding something acceptable.

Looker
12-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Fair enough, I am cooling a Q6600@3.6GHz (1.49v) and a single 7900GT to be replaced by an 8800, just undecided about GT vs. GTS) and a X38 Northbridge chip on an asus maximus formula SE

The yates I have are the mediums and thus ~70cfm@33dba and I am wondering if there would be much of a difference if I went up to maybe an 80 or 90 or even a 100CFM set of fans or is that much of a difference going to be negligible as it was noted on the PA120.3's that beyond a certain CFM the returns pretty much became little to nothing.

billb
12-18-2007, 07:55 PM
...would find a 144CFM Delta screaming @ ~37 dBA's very unacceptable.
...taking some time to do the math .I didn't say he should use the Deltas, just that they were the only fans Swiftech tested with.

As for doing the math, can you link any data for the OP on the MCR320QP? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything other than Swiftech's tests.