PDA

View Full Version : hooking 2 PSU's together, my experiment...

Kunaak
08-01-2003, 09:25 PM
this was just a plain old experiment, cause my Vapochill is a very demanding one, that just will not start with a plain old 450 watt PSU... it needs alot of power, cause it's filled with R404...

sooooo I needed more power :D

just fiddling around I came up with this.

just cut up 2 female molexs and used the 12 volt lines only, on a plain old wall switch.

here it is...

Kunaak
08-01-2003, 09:28 PM
how it works...

turn one PSU on, with the wall switch turn off....
turn the second PSU on, then flip the wall switch on.

then, the 12 volt line becomes super strong.

did it work?

yep, started my vapochill in 2 tries, and got me down to -41C.

sorry about the crappy photos, but my digital cameras is only a 30 dollar junker :(

Hell-Fire
08-01-2003, 09:32 PM
WOW!

What an interesting idea there Kun. Nice job man. Did it help you reach a higher o/c?

Kunaak
08-01-2003, 09:49 PM
I haven't actually tried it with my OC-PC, I just need it for my vapochill. see, bowman modded a vapochill and was cool enough to trade it to me. but he uses a 13.2 volts PSU to test his stuff (if I remember right) so he modded it to his needs.

but the strongest PSU I have could barely hold 11 volts when this R404 Vapochill turns the compressor on.
soooo, I had to try and make something that would power this thing, haha...

well I know places have sold gadgets to hook 2 PSU's together, but I had no idea where they can be found, or how much they cost, and with a vapochill sitting here staring at me, I wanted something NOOOOOOOW.... (you know how it gets with new hardware, and waiting to use it ;) )

I really don't know how this would affect a PC, with the motherboard and all...

but I know, if you don't feel like spending 120 dollars for a TEC PSU, this may help alittle to get you by.

just for reference.

when my vapochill turns on, with a 450 watt PSU hooked to it.
it's 11.87 volts.

when the compressor kicks on, the volts drop instantly to 11 volts, and keeps dropping till it reaching about 10.7 volts, then just turns off the compressor and then nothing happens and this cycle continues for about an hour, while the compressor turns on and off on it's own every 20 seconds or so, and turns off everytime at 10.7 volts...

with both PSU's on, it's a solid 12.15 volts even.
then the compressor kicks on, and it drops to 11.5 even, if it stays above 11.4 it's gonna stay on.
it's been taking 2 tries to get my vapochill to stay on now, with this experiment thing I made (I have no idea what it would be called)
when the compressor stays on, and everythings running, my 12 volts line is a solid 11.6 volts.
with this Vapochill, thats pretty damn good.

considering 1 PSU bottoms out at 10.7 volts and barely every turns my vapo chill on :)

Hell-Fire
08-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Bro, I know the fix for your 2 psu mod to get more juice on that 12v rail. Vmod the thing man. I am betting its a fairly easy thing to do.

I did mine about week or 2 ago and just finished up a friends yesterday. We both get 12.5v on the rail now.

If you mod both psu's to get say 13v or so on the 12v rail, I am betting you hold at around 12.2 or so when the compressor kicks on. Since nothing else is connecting to those psu's, you dont have to worry about how high the 12v rail is set to when modded.

What ya think? Worth a try?

Kunaak
08-01-2003, 10:33 PM
I have no idea how too.
I just heard of it like a week ago from PC-Ice.

saaya
08-02-2003, 05:30 AM
cool, i thougt about that too :) it works? great! very usefull for tec people, post a howto in the tec section! :toast:

Hell-Fire
08-03-2003, 01:29 PM
I have no idea how too.
I just heard of it like a week ago from PC-Ice.

Is all y ou worried with on this psu project is the 12v line correct?

If so, that will make things much easier. Can ya take a pic of your psu's (both of em) ATX connector from several angles so I can see the wires?

bowman1964
08-03-2003, 06:50 PM
man i am glad to see you figured out someway to get her going.
2 powersupples together ....:D good idea.
yep my 40 amp power suppy runs at 13.2v to 13.6v.
but you have figured out how to power it i see...good job my friend.:D

Kunaak
08-03-2003, 07:22 PM
this 2 PSU idea will work till I can get something alittle less messy to power her up :)

tMQ
08-06-2003, 10:46 AM
i have a question.

this 12V line @ 13V is only for vapo/prommy ?

won't it do harm to hdd/etc ?

Kunaak
08-06-2003, 11:06 AM
it's a different Type of PSU, made for things like Ham Radios and such. like a Pyramid PSU ;)