PDA

View Full Version : AIRCOOLING 80W TEC on R9700

Çhrist0ph
08-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Has anybody succesfully mounted and AIRCOOLED a TEC on a VGA card? I want to push my R9700 to the limit, but dont want to spend big bucks to watercool a TEC setup. Would a generic POS 300 watt PSU be enuff for just one TEC? Any response is greatly appreciated, thnx!

zippyc
08-01-2003, 07:35 PM
Aircooling the hot side of an 80W TEC "could" be done with a monster fansink like one you would use on a CPU (In theory).

But I was getting fansink temps of around 140F from a CPU that put out similar heat running a good CPU fansink, and if the surface temp of the hot side the pelt was also 140F, the cold side of the pelt would be lucky to see ambient (probably would not even get there).

A fansink large enough to do the job would also probably be too heavy to mount on your card. IMO anything smaller than that would not work well at all, and I have my doubts that even that will produce what I'd call "good" results. TEC's produce the 80W of heat from the cooling, then add the watts from your overclocked GPU too. That is an awful lot of heat to get rid of into your case.

So you'd better be prepared to watch your case temps go up by 5-10 degrees if aircooling a pelt in there.

You really need to use water to remove the heat from the pelt to enjoy any decent temps. I would not even attempt aircooling a pelt.

mdzcpa
08-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Not worth it. Straight water cooling would be much more effective.

Çhrist0ph
08-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Well....i geuss ill have to sell my car, soul, body, etc.
Then maybe ill enjoy some serious cooling action!:)

IamAnoobieCheez
08-03-2003, 02:48 PM
yeah, like what my friend mdzcpa said, you'll need water setup for that.