PDA

View Full Version : mcw60 vs EK8800 GTX

warbux
12-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Okay after long hours of debating I have decided to scrap my fuzion gpu cards. The pressure drop is just too much for me to bare, and even if I add a second pump it would still be lower then using the MCW60 with 1 pump. The EK block is a bit less restrictive then the fuzion and it is by far the best looking GPU block on the market. What do you guys think on the performance difference between the MCW60 and the EK8800. Does anyone have any real world numbers, or experience?

Mekrel
12-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I would go with the MCW60, it will be the better performer but these cards are not temperature limited when it comes to water, i.e the difference between the MCW60 and EK FC8800GTX won't gain you more.

The main reason to go MCW60 is when you upgrade block, Swiftech seem quite quick when releasing adapter plates like they did with the G80 one.

Also, I would use RAM sinks still because they can be reused. Buy some new thermal tape each time you upgrade card and use a hair dryer on the sinks and the old tape will shrivel off.

Cupcake
12-08-2007, 02:17 PM
I would get a full face just because personally I hate ram sinks but If you dont mind them then the swiftech will be fine :)

Waterlogged
12-08-2007, 02:17 PM
I would go with the MCW60, it will be the better performer but these cards are not temperature limited when it comes to water, i.e the difference between the MCW60 and EK FC8800GTX won't gain you more.

The main reason to go MCW60 is when you upgrade block, Swiftech seem quite quick when releasing adapter plates like they did with the G80 one.

Also, I would use RAM sinks still because they can be reused. Buy some new thermal tape each time you upgrade card and use a hair dryer on the sinks and the old tape will shrivel off.

:yepp: +1

RubberDuck
12-08-2007, 02:20 PM

+ 2 :up: Like Mekrel said you can upgrade them to newer cards unlike you can with full cover blocks :yepp:

warbux
12-08-2007, 02:59 PM

After doing some digging around I have decided your right, I am going with the MCW60, as for blocks not making a difference that much on GFX cards thats not always true. I voltmod my card, so more cooling = more volts, to an extent anyways.

Also I have a lot of these ramsincs for my 8800 but they keep falling off.

What kinda thermal tape should I use, and where can I buy it? Currently I had been using some stuff by some company called sekisui but there tape sucks. I cant find anywhere that sells that 3M 8815 tape in smaller quanities. Everywhere seems to want to sell it in 9 yard rolls that cost over $400

Mekrel
12-08-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure as I'm from the UK mate, I have Enzotech ram sinks on my GTX and they're rock solid.

RubberDuck
12-08-2007, 03:28 PM
I use these on my GPU --> EnzoTech BMR-C1 Pure Forged Copper Ramsinks (Pack of 8) (http://www.petrastechshop.com/enbmpufocora.html) <--. These work a :banana::banana::banana::banana: load better than the Swiftech. Just stick them on and use a hair dryer to warm them up and let them cool and they will be rock solid :up:

warbux
12-08-2007, 03:33 PM
I use these on my GPU --> EnzoTech BMR-C1 Pure Forged Copper Ramsinks (Pack of 8) (http://www.petrastechshop.com/enbmpufocora.html) <--. These work a :banana::banana::banana::banana: load better than the Swiftech. Just stick them on and use a hair dryer to warm them up and let them cool and they will be rock solid :up:

4 sure I use the Enzotech BMR-c1s too, they use the 3M 8815 tape, they stick great, I am talking about tape to stick the mosfets on.

http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcmohepof4.html

RLM
12-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Edit: How did the vmod go Warbux?:D

Maybe a stupid question but does it make a difference with overclocking the memory on your graphics card? I would of thought in theory that a full cover block would help with oc'ing the memory.

RLM

warbux
12-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Edit: How did the vmod go Warbux?:D

Maybe a stupid question but does it make a difference with overclocking the memory on your graphics card? I would of thought in theory that a full cover block would help with oc'ing the memory.

RLM

The Vmod went well, however I am still tweeking it, I plan on flashing the bios with the scores as soon as I get them where I want them. Well thats a hard question to answer because I have never had a full block card, however I do not believe that it would make much of a difference, the memory is made to take pretty high temps, plus I have the heat spreaders on it, and because the card is cooled by a waterblock It doesnt get as much radiant heat to the memory chips.

disruptfam
12-09-2007, 12:14 AM
i went from a mcw60 to a ek fc block

the mcw60 performed 8c better than the ek fc block for me...

If perf is what your after go mcw60/ramsinks

cablesguy
12-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Enzotechs great on the GTX, nvr had to worry abt it falling off, just get 2shorter ramsinks for the midle where the tubing connects to the MCW60 or snip off a few mm's