PDA

View Full Version : Are ram sinks needed?

TheWeaseL
07-31-2003, 09:15 PM
I'm sure this may get asked a lot, but for your system ram, do you really need heat spreaders for them? I have two sticks of pc3700 ram on the way, with hopes of pushing upwards of 3.2v~3.3v to them. That is after I do a vdimm mod, otherwise they will only see up to about 3v. Are spreaders needed? Or just fans over it ok? I don't have either yet, but what would be the best?

felix88
07-31-2003, 11:25 PM
i don't think heat spreaders are needed, but if you were to actually put some heatsinks on your RAM, i'm sure those could help. just make sure you've got lots of air moving over the RAM and you should be fine.

CCW
07-31-2003, 11:48 PM
Agreed with Felix88, no RAM should need spreaders atm. Some good airflow over them should be fine.

Craig

Craig
08-05-2003, 06:42 PM
I see that both Cooler Master and Tweak Monster now both have out heat sinks intended for system RAM. So there must be a growing interest/market in them.

Also saw some made of aluminum at another site, don't remember where at the moment however.

Stands to reason that a finned sink would do a lot more than those heat spreaders ever have.

TheWeaseL
08-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Craig
I see that both Cooler Master and Tweak Monster now both have out heat sinks intended for system RAM. So there must be a growing interest/market in them.

Also saw some made of aluminum at another site, don't remember where at the moment however.

Stands to reason that a finned sink would do a lot more than those heat spreaders ever have.

Agreed, however honestly, the best sinks I've seen for ram are the Thermaltake ones, they have the longest fins...The other ones are little dinky things that almost look like they don't have fins.

CCW
08-07-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by TheWeaseL
Agreed, however honestly, the best sinks I've seen for ram are the Thermaltake ones, they have the longest fins...The other ones are little dinky things that almost look like they don't have fins.

They have released copper versions too now. They feel good quality especially when comapred to the aluminium one sthey done.

Craig

TheWeaseL
08-07-2003, 01:23 PM
I actually have those copper ones on my mosfets...Indeed they are nice quality, but not a lot of surface area to let the heat off.