PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Intercooler?

Jamie
12-02-2007, 02:21 PM
I am referring to the one made by Nyko, are these any good? do they actually work? noise doesn't bother me and in most reviews i have heard this is the only drawback.

I am very paranoid about overheating issues to do with the 360 so much that nowadays i just play the PC and have barely turned it on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Boogerlad
12-02-2007, 02:58 PM
you'd be better off with strapping on your own 120mm fan ghettoly

YukonTrooper
12-02-2007, 03:13 PM
They perform as they advertise. Considering you can find them for real cheap it wouldn't be a bad idea. I haven't had any problems with my stock cooling so I just keep it.

ugp
12-02-2007, 06:48 PM
DO NOT GET ONE! Everyone I have ever know... and I mean everyone their 360 got the ring of death. A buddy of mine went through 3 360s and once he stopped using it his problems stopped. And I know of 4 other people that there 360 did the same thing within a few days of getting one. And I am referring to brand new units. I would be scared to try one.

Jamie
12-03-2007, 05:27 AM
DO NOT GET ONE! Everyone I have ever know... and I mean everyone their 360 got the ring of death. A buddy of mine went through 3 360s and once he stopped using it his problems stopped. And I know of 4 other people that there 360 did the same thing within a few days of getting one. And I am referring to brand new units. I would be scared to try one.

Hmm thanks for the heads up, but i find it hard to believe something so simple, i.e 3 fans that clip onto the back of an Xbox could cause that much damage, any ideas why it was causing the damage?

ugp
12-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Hmm thanks for the heads up, but i find it hard to believe something so simple, i.e 3 fans that clip onto the back of an Xbox could cause that much damage, any ideas why it was causing the damage?

The only thing I can think of is that the power is router through the fan.. it clips on the back on the 360 and then the power cord for your 360 plugs into it. So I am really not sure.

If you have one of the newer redesigns for the 360 the heat issue is gone. As for me I have one of the first and I just have my 360 in a well ventilated area. It is not enclosed and I have never had a heat issue. My 360 is just plan on it's way out. I have actually survived getting the 3 red lights twice. And I get an E74 code about 4 times a week.

Jamie
12-03-2007, 07:17 AM
The only thing I can think of is that the power is router through the fan.. it clips on the back on the 360 and then the power cord for your 360 plugs into it. So I am really not sure.

If you have one of the newer redesigns for the 360 the heat issue is gone. As for me I have one of the first and I just have my 360 in a well ventilated area. It is not enclosed and I have never had a heat issue. My 360 is just plan on it's way out. I have actually survived getting the 3 red lights twice. And I get an E74 code about 4 times a week.

Yeah i did notice the power input is done through the cooler.

I don't even know if i have the redesign, all i know is its the new HDMI port edition, maybe i should sell the thing and get a PS3.

ugp
12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
You have the redesign with the 65nm cpu. The originals used 90nm. Of course the 90s puts out a lot more heat. I remember reading somewhere that the output air from the exhaust is a good 20C cooler on the newer ones.

Next year they will be switching the GPU to a 65nm as well.

If anything, if you are concerned about heat just put a small $10 fan from Wal-Mart blowing in the general direction on your 360 and you will be fine. I have played my 360 for 6 hours straight and it never froze or gave me any problems at all.

turtletrax
12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
I have 2 360's and I had the Intercooler and I gave it to a friend for free. It was loud and was a POS for sure. :rolleyes:

Neither of my 360's have crapped out, but the oldest one was bought before M$ extended the warranty, so I opened it up and lapped the heatsinks and applied Artic Ceramique.

ugp
12-03-2007, 03:20 PM
I voided my warranty after my warranty 'was up' but then they reinstated it. I had gave my 360 a new case. It looked nice for awhile. It was black...I didn't like it once they released the Elite though...I got tired of people asking me if it was an Elite and it really wasn't special anymore.

Asgard_thor
12-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I have a small fan..should I put it behind the 360 pushing cold air inside? or where should I place it?