PDA

View Full Version : Canon or Sony??

p47
12-02-2007, 05:05 AM
I plan to buy a compact digital camera.. I have two kinds of option which is Sony DSC T100 and Canon SD860 IS. both of them has 8Mp and optical image stabilization.

so I need your opinion or recommendation which one I should choose.

thx :)

Cold Fussion
12-02-2007, 08:47 PM
I'd say canon purely because their SLR's are good. Chances are that you aren't looking for max visual fedelaity (sp?) so i would go which ever is the cheapest.

Vapor
12-03-2007, 01:02 AM
The Canon takes better pictures (usually...has a highlight clipping/overexposure tendency...the Sony probably has this slightly too) due to having a better lens (the Sony's ultra-compact format is very tough on the lens design team :p: ). This is probably most noticeable trying to take landscapes or scenery or anything like that...and probably not at a 4x6 or even 5x7 print size.

The Sony is more pocket friendly and stylish though.

Both are probably pretty equal for social pictures (low light and/or flash).

I think I'd go with the Sony just because it's smaller and better to carry around (and it looks pretty nice :)), even if the lens does have some softness issues when pixel-peeping.

p47
12-03-2007, 03:14 AM
thx for reply..

DSC T200 has a very good model (IMO) and i consider about that, the price is higher than canon 860IS.. Canon 860IS perhaps has a good pict quality than DSC T200 (i read it in some reviews), but i think the different still fairly for me..

any other opinion??

Anemone
12-03-2007, 08:42 PM
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd850is.asp

Gives a bunch of owners opinions on a close model. Prefer the focus and exposure characteristics of Canon chips myself.