PDA

View Full Version : A Few Issues/Questions about the IT7

MudWhistle
07-11-2002, 05:31 PM
Hi all, nice informative forums here at xtremesystems. I have a few questions/concerns on my new setup. I recently upgraded my motherboard to an Abit IT7 motherboard that replaced an Asus P4S-533. I've noticed a serious increase in CPU temperature since the swap. Initially I thought it was my Volcano 7+ that was mounted incorrectly, so I double and triple checked to make sure the heatsink is making good contact, which I belive it is. The heatsink mounting brackets on my old board came preinstalled already, i just had to drop my cpu/heatsink in but with the new IT7 you have to install the mounting bracket, initally I got this wrong as I did not have the pins pushed in all the way, luckily I noticed this before I powered my system up. Anyways, I Believe it is making correct contact and maybe the bios is reporting the wrong cpu temps.

Here are my system specs and before/after results from swapping motherboards. I'm using the Original Bios that came with the board dated 04/27 I believe.

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1.6a Northwood, Pack Date: 04/29, Date on CPU is 01/09/02, Malaysion.

RAM: Generic Samsung PC-2700, hits 200 fsb with loose timings with around 2.8 volts applied.

Heatsink: Volcano 7+ with ASII running at 5000 RPM.

PowerSupply: 400W Wintech: It outputs 15 Amps at 12V and 30 Amps at 5V. My 12V rail never dips below 11.96 even at 2.65ghz stressed with p95 loops.

HDD: 40 gig 7200 Seagate Barricuda IV (This thing is virtually silent)

Sound: Hercules Game Theatre XP
Speakers: Logitech Z-560's

umm what else..

Monitor: 19" NEC FE950+

Vid Card: Gainward Golden Sample GF3-Ti200 128 Meg.

This cpu does 150*16 = 2400 mhz at Default Voltage. I ran at this speed on my Asus P4S533 and Can run the same on my IT7.

On the Asus P4S533 at 2400mhz / Default Voltage my Temps are as follows in celcius (sorry im canadian).

Motherboard Idle: 27 Celcius
Motherboard Load: 32 Celcius

Cpu Idle: 31-32 Celcius
Cpu Load: 38-41 Celcius

Now, for the new triple checked if correct heatink installed Abit IT7 motherboard.

Motherboard Idle: 29 Celcius
Motherboard Load: 32 Celcius

Cpu Idle: 41-43 Celcius !!
Cpu Load: 50-52 Celcius!!

This is all done in a Air conditioned room (room temp is around 70-73 Degrees F).

Other then the temps reported this board is amazing for stability. I do think I need better ram to push my cpu higher. The highest I can currently reach with this cpu/combo is 164 * 16 = 2631 mhz but under load im hitting close to 60 degrees which is way outta my comfort zone.

One other thing that may hold true as to the Bios/Hardware cpu temp monitor being screwy is that even if i power my system up after it's been off for hours, I go directly into my bios and my cpu temp is already sitting in the 40's. I know it does not take long for these puppies to heat up but on my Asus board I would see it start at around 27 celcius and climb in degrees slowly.

Any help would be appreciated on this matter, sorry for the lengthy post.