PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just hate it when...

Boogerlad
12-01-2007, 04:30 PM
don't you just hate it when people from school ask you these really stupid stupid questions? i go to middle school and they're like "hows a core 2 duo faster than a pentium 4 at 3.8ghz? is it because of the 2 cores (2.33x2)? " or "my computer pwns your because i have 2 cores and you have 1. i also have 120gb of ram." how on earth can you have 120gb or ram!?!?!? it's hard drive space. GET IT RIGHT! sheesh!

Bigchrome
12-01-2007, 04:38 PM
YES. Nearly lost a friend by helping him build a comp.... I couldn't help but mock his noobiness and he got really pissed off.... People are soo bad in whole country are so bad that I have anger issues.

Boogerlad
12-01-2007, 05:08 PM
i also don't understand why people ask these stupid questions without doing their research. I learned it the hard way. i asked a really stupid question in the forums and it was in the stickies, so i shutup for the next couple months, doing my research, and helping others learn about computers from what i learned from the forums. Like, come on! how hard is it to research this stuff for a couple weeks?

Polizei
12-01-2007, 05:33 PM
A friend of mine keeps refering to the processor as chipset. That and nhe expects me to know what hes talking about when he says memory - sometimes he means RAM, other times he means hard drive.

Im always playing around with the clocks and dividers an stuff in my computer... not exactly a daily thing, but often. He always asks me how much Ive got the chipset overclocked to. :roll:

Hard for him to grasp how clock speed = multi * FSB, but the board's rated FSB = 4 * FSB.

Sometimes I just want to slap him.

Boogerlad
12-01-2007, 05:40 PM
another guy thinks that a cpu is the whole computer+case. How stupid is that?

Bigchrome
12-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Not as stupid as calling the case the "box" and the monitor the cpu....Them: "Wow, that's a huge cpu you've got!! How big IS that?"
Me: "24''....see, it's actually a monitor"

IFMU
12-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Moved to
XtremeSystems Forums > Chat > Wampeteers, Foma, & Granfaloons

Boogerlad
12-01-2007, 06:10 PM
it's pretty funny when people confuse the monitor with the actual computer and how people think that you can do xtreme ocing and reach subambient with a bunch of fans.

kuhla
12-01-2007, 06:11 PM
another guy thinks that a cpu is the whole computer+case. How stupid is that?

I've heard that alot....

Not as stupid as calling the case the "box" and the monitor the cpu....Them: "Wow, that's a huge cpu you've got!! How big IS that?"
Me: "24''....see, it's actually a monitor"

......and I'd rather see people calling it "the box" because at least that isn't confusing a specific part with the whole enchilada.

Sparky
12-01-2007, 06:29 PM
years ago I volunteered at the local library. The one computer in the back had random issues (it was an old comcrap, er, compaq). The one day it was being particularly ornery and the one lady was going on about how she hated it and wished the monitor matched the computer (it was a viewsonic monitor). She said because it didn't match it was causing all these troubles. I tried to explain that the monitor just displays what it is told, the computer on the desk is what was at fault. No she insisted, it was that horrid monitor!.... :rolleyes:

I could have fixed it if they let me....

madman2233
12-01-2007, 06:56 PM
When im talking to people and they start talking about computers like they know everything but they are actually completely wrong, i start going along with it and make even wilder claims. After a couple minutes of that i just walk away while the guys in mid-sentence.

twilyth
12-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Well younguns, I learned about 'puters the old fashioned way - I read dirty magazines - like Computer Shopper (whoa - you can almost smell the 80's hair gel) and PC Magazine. No really, CS was filthy - got almost as much ink on your hands as on the page.

It's a lot easier following something over the years than trying to learn about it all at once - especially since in most cases you don't have any real interest in the technology you just want to accomplish some specific task. I think that's what aggravates most techies when it comes to the great unwashed masses - they just don't have any passion for the technology. If they did, they would already know the answers to their questions.

It's especially irritating when you try to help someone over the phone or by email and you spend half your time just establishing what things are called.

However I never make fun of anyone unless they try to pretend like they know what they're talking about. If someone doesn't know their @$$ from their elbow that's fine as long as they admit it. It still p!$$e$ me off, but I won't bust their chops.

Deux
12-01-2007, 08:05 PM
The other day some kid was bragging to me about how he has 8 gig of DDR3 on his Athlon 64...

Movieman
12-01-2007, 08:27 PM
The answer is not to get upset but to teach.
The first machine I had access to was a Burrough's 8 bit 2 year old business computer as they were called then..yea, 8 bit..Learned simple programming on it and wrote a variation of "pong" at the time..
300+ lines of code..seemed like a lot then..:rofl:

Zytek_Fan
12-01-2007, 08:38 PM
As least people are becoming more technology conscious. Not really in hardware, but software things.

Boogerlad
12-01-2007, 09:03 PM
The first machine I had access to was a Burrough's 8 bit 2 year old business computer as they were called then..yea, 8 bit..Learned simple programming on it and wrote a variation of "pong" at the time..

but what's the point of teaching them if they're reluctant to learning? kid's these days just ask and expect to get the answer the easy way, but it doesn't always go that way.

ocmyface
12-02-2007, 12:27 PM
my friend bought a processor with the bright idea of, and i quote, "keeping the fsb and selling the multiplier then keep buying and selling more multipliers until he finds the right one he wants"

TOP THAT

ownage
12-02-2007, 12:52 PM
my friend bought a processor with the bright idea of, and i quote, "keeping the fsb and selling the multiplier then keep buying and selling more multipliers until he finds the right one he wants"

TOP THAT

I know a guy who was bragging about his e6600 overclocked to 2.6ghz. He was proud and others where impressed. I said "thats huge, i also have my c2d overclocked a bit, but only a bit. Off course they said to what speed. Back then i had a e6400, so i said "I give it a little bump from 2.13ghz to 3.6ghz for daily use". :rofl: :ROTF: But offcourse that bunch of noobs didn't believe it and said that was impossible lol.

I repair many computers in my spare time, a few per week. Now what really pisses me of is that once you fixed something, and a few months later they have new problems. Then they say its because I changed something, because they never had that problem before. :shrug: :mad:

Northwood
12-02-2007, 05:57 PM
winds me up looking at ebay, always some tosser listing a 3Ghz quad as "12Ghz" in an attempt to mislead potential buyers, but ebay do nothing about it.

Sparky
12-02-2007, 06:11 PM

I try, but some people like that woman at the library refuse to listen and learn :shakes:

Kobalt
12-02-2007, 06:32 PM
The number one thing to remember is to not tell anyone how good you are with computers. Otherwise you get your friend and his cousin's half brother calling you every fricken week asking for free computer advice. Then you get some people who aren't nice enough to say hi to you when you see them around anywhere, but when they have a computer problem, all of a sudden you two are best buddies.

I don't get why people are so lazy... why they can't learn themselves. Everything I know about crt projectors and home theater, computers, bodybuilding, and hi-fi audio I learned from the internet. It's not hard people :shakes:

Boogerlad
12-02-2007, 06:51 PM
yeah, there's this guy that added me on to msn at school, and he won't stop quizing/asking me questions about computers! he states these facts that are not true at all and will not learn from his mistakes

comrad
12-10-2007, 04:35 PM

TOP THAT

:rofl:

My friend calls me up one day, telling me that he upgraded his video card and it doesn't work... I come over to his house... And well... Turns out he bought a top of the line 6800gt (back when...) and it didn't fit into his case, he cut part of the PCB off and stuck it in the slot... I am super serial... I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or kick his ass....

yankee
12-10-2007, 05:04 PM
:rofl:

My friend calls me up one day, telling me that he upgraded his video card and it doesn't work... I come over to his house... And well... Turns out he bought a top of the line 6800gt (back when...) and it didn't fit into his case, he cut part of the PCB off and stuck it in the slot... I am super serial... I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or kick his ass....

That is ignorance defined. Or stubbornness.

Either way...:ROTF: :ROTF:

Rinsewand
12-12-2007, 10:48 AM
I don't mind peopel not knowing as long as they are willing to learn, that's fine, i learnt from mates, as well as the net, i still do! What does annoy me is peopel who either think they know everything and brag about it, but don't as then other people 'learn' inaccurate information, or people who ask for help, and then ignore you when you give it and tell you you're wrong. What's the fricking point of asking!!!

RwD

naokaji
12-12-2007, 12:29 PM
if i would get a dollar every time i have to explain that a dual core cpu doesnt the double performance i could retire by now....

but yeah, never offer repairs or advice.. or you end up being the :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana: of the whole neighbourhood that does all the pc related work for free.

what i find far worse though than the non existant knowledge from friends and family is how little the staff at retailers knows.

Jochenp
12-12-2007, 01:18 PM
What I really hate, is when you're at your uncle's, their pc has a minor software issue, you repair it and few months later they call you because "you wrecked the computer".
Then they want you to assemble a computer for them, you assemble a kickass computer like it would be your own for them, they pay you a measly 30$ for a LOT of work (I assembled thatcomputer, fixed the hardware of two others and reformatted and reinstalled another one).
They break the motherboard by vacuumcleaning it (wth where they thinking), say it's my fault, send the mobo back under warranty and ask me to pay for shipping since it was all my fault.
I swear to God, if it wasn't family I would have destroyed all their computers, send all their personal files all over the web and disappeared out of their lives.
My dad encourages me to keep on fixing their problems, because he says it would show of disrespect if I didn't (it's the uncle on my fathers side).
I wish I didn't knew jack squat about computers sometimes.

twilyth
12-12-2007, 01:44 PM
No good deed goes unpunished.

I helped someone upgrade an ancient computer to SP2 but then their sound card stopped working. Of course it was my fault. Yeah, I got your hardware right here (grabs crotch).

WrigleyVillain
12-12-2007, 02:49 PM
The number one thing to remember is to not tell anyone how good you are with computers. Otherwise you get your friend and his cousin's half brother calling you every fricken week asking for free computer advice. Then you get some people who aren't nice enough to say hi to you when you see them around anywhere, but when they have a computer problem, all of a sudden you two are best buddies.

I don't get why people are so lazy... why they can't learn themselves. Everything I know about crt projectors and home theater, computers, bodybuilding, and hi-fi audio I learned from the internet. It's not hard people :shakes:

QFT!

systemviper
12-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Well younguns, I learned about 'puters the old fashioned way - I read dirty magazines - like Computer Shopper .

Damn , Man i remember Computer Shopper :rolleyes: , is that still around, It was as big as the phone book, never really purchased anything from it but it was always a good read.:rofl:

guess, i am just getting old:shrug: but it just makes me appriciate the great HARDWARE THAT IS AVAILABLE TODAY. :up:

Movieman
12-12-2007, 03:08 PM
What I really hate, is when you're at your uncle's, their pc has a minor software issue, you repair it and few months later they call you because "you wrecked the computer".
Then they want you to assemble a computer for them, you assemble a kickass computer like it would be your own for them, they pay you a measly 30$ for a LOT of work (I assembled thatcomputer, fixed the hardware of two others and reformatted and reinstalled another one).
They break the motherboard by vacuumcleaning it (wth where they thinking), say it's my fault, send the mobo back under warranty and ask me to pay for shipping since it was all my fault.
I swear to God, if it wasn't family I would have destroyed all their computers, send all their personal files all over the web and disappeared out of their lives.
My dad encourages me to keep on fixing their problems, because he says it would show of disrespect if I didn't (it's the uncle on my fathers side).
I wish I didn't knew jack squat about computers sometimes.

I tell them that this is what I do for a living, not as a hobby.
Then I say that because they are family I'll only charge 1/2 price and it's not by the job but by the hour.
When they call for tech support I let them know they are "on the clock"
Stops the stupid calls very fast.
Now their are the ones that I help for free but they know if they tell anyone, they are on the paying list..
Secrets get very well kept!:rofl:

Last: When you get that di*kbrain relative that you know you will not be able to make happy, listen to their problem and just do this:
"Jeez, thats one area I never learned about. You better take that to the local PC repair place to make sure it's done right."

Just one time having a local store bill them $250.00 for what you would have charged $50-75 for will teach them and fast!:up:

Celeron Gamer
12-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I drop many f-bombs when explaining PCs. To be honest, I hate computers. Mainly because I have nothing but problems with them.

Concept of computer hardware just doesn't pop out to you within 5mins. It takes time, and understanding. Blaring stuff out doesn't make u understand anything. It makes me sound arrogant, but I just have to deal w/ it.

e.g "how come a P4 is slower than a C2D despite having higher clockspeed or how GPU speed compares to other GPU"

my response "stfu."

What I do hate though is when people around you outsell you. Which makes other people ask to me to fix their PCs, in return, screw me over (at least I'm getting used to telephone support"

Jochenp
12-14-2007, 06:30 AM
I tell them that this is what I do for a living, not as a hobby.
Then I say that because they are family I'll only charge 1/2 price and it's not by the job but by the hour.
When they call for tech support I let them know they are "on the clock"
Stops the stupid calls very fast.
Now their are the ones that I help for free but they know if they tell anyone, they are on the paying list..
Secrets get very well kept!:rofl:

Last: When you get that di*kbrain relative that you know you will not be able to make happy, listen to their problem and just do this:
"Jeez, thats one area I never learned about. You better take that to the local PC repair place to make sure it's done right."

Just one time having a local store bill them $250.00 for what you would have charged $50-75 for will teach them and fast!:up:
The thing is they know how much a local store would cost them.
As a matter of fact, they were gonna pay me 100$ for assembing the computer. When they wrecked the motherboard, I said I didn't have time to look after it, because I had a lot of schoolwork so they brought it to a shop.
The shop misidentified the problem as being the graphics card, they sent the graphicscard back to the shop it was purchased from, that shop said there was nothing wrong with it and in the end they followed my advise and rma'd the motherboard, fixing everything.
The first shop asked 70$ for wrong information, and since they blaimed me for the broken hardware, they only payed me 30$.
Then they let me pay shipping too (about 20$), so I ended up with 10$ for more than 12 hours of work and problems. :up: that's what family is for
You do them favors, they F you in the A...

I'll remember that Movieman :) It's just too bad that even your own family you can't trust to pay you a fair salary.
I choose the wrong people to assemble a computer for though, their son wrecks all pc's by downloading "emoticon packages" full op spyware. Last spywaresweep I did there had 800+ threads. :up: and they never want to pay for hardware. I told them a pc of less than 1000$ isn't gonna last them 5 years. They didn't believe me...