PDA

View Full Version : OCZ flex edition: DDR2 9600 or DDR3 ?

Dyselinck
12-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Hi,

I am currently building my new pc, and i was wondering wether i should use ddr2 pc 9600 or the new ddr3 modules?
I am intented to overclock my cpu, motherboard and ram. What would be the best choice?

RyderOCZ
12-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Hello,

What motherboard are you going to use? DDR2 and DDR3 do not fit on the same board, unless it has both types of slots.
They are not compatible one to the other, so your question is about something that cannot work.

Dyselinck
12-02-2007, 12:20 PM
huh? i know i can't mix them up? but wich of those two should i use?
Wich is fastest?
I'm going to use a 780i motherboard for the DDR2 and a 790i for the DDR3 modules.

RyderOCZ
12-03-2007, 09:21 AM
I see, so basically you want to know if you should go with DDR3 or stick with DDR2.

That will depend on what you are going to do and I am not sure I can answer that. I do not have a DDR3 system to compare performance between the 2, but there is a lot of info here at XS.

Dyselinck
12-04-2007, 10:09 AM
I see, so basically you want to know if you should go with DDR3 or stick with DDR2.

That will depend on what you are going to do and I am not sure I can answer that. I do not have a DDR3 system to compare performance between the 2, but there is a lot of info here at XS.

As you can read in my OP i want to overclock?

RyderOCZ
12-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Overclocking potential is not changed by the ram.

CPU overclock depends on the actual board and the CPU that you have.

Manuf XYZ's 780 board vs PDQ's 780 board might net you a 100 MHz difference in CPU overclock even if you used the same ram. Same goes for 790.

Worrying about which ram to get when you are interested in overclocking the CPU is a moot point, you need to get a board that is known to overclock CPU's well, then get some ram that will keep up. Do you follow?

As I said, the question you are asking really has nothing to do with ram, you need to be more worried about the actual board and CPU combo than ram.

DDR2 or DDR3 will still both let you push the CPU to its limits if the board you purchase will let it happen. Do you understand?

DDR2 is faster in some apps right now compared to DDR3, while DDR3 is faster in others.
Is your only interest in overclocking? You are not going to play games or anything like that? That is what I mean when I say "it will depend on what you want to do and the types of apps you are going to run".

Dyselinck
12-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Ok, Thank you very much for this extensive info.
I'm probably gonna use an EVGA board.
About the ram: i'm gonna stay with DDR2 ram for a while...

Thank you very very much!