PDA

View Full Version : HTWS ~ Refining the Audio Setup

pacal
11-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Working on a Home Theater Workstation and I need some help fleshing out the audio setup. I've already read some things-- thanks to MiRo's review of AT's Prelude-- that are contrary to what I've been lead to believe. So I'm anxious to clarify the matter so I can proceed ahead with this build.

Here are the specs... This is a work in progress and not all components are yet available but soon should be.

Questions....
1) What will best compliment my Home Theater Workstation, Creative Labs X-Fi or AuzenTech's Prelude? I'm both a gamer and movie fanatic should that help.
2) How should I interface the audio card with my Receiver/Amp? Optical/Digital or analog?
3) Do you think AuzenTech will really deliver on all the added features they're advertising for 2008?
4) It sounds like there might be a Prelude revision due out, should I wait?

H T W S v 1 . 0
Sharp AQUOS 42" LC-42D64U LCD
Lian Li PC-C32-B Case
Seasonic M12 SS-700HM 700W PSU
Asus Striker Extreme II 780i
Intel Core 2 Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4Ghz CPU
GeiL EvoOne (or) Esoteria.2 8GB PC2-8500 Cas 5-5-5-15
EVGA GeForce 8800GT@700Mhz 512MB Video Card (Dual SLI Config)
Samsung Spinpoint F1 (3 x 1TB)
LG GGW-H20L Lightscribe 4x Super Multi Blueray Disc Rewriter
Creative Labs X-Fi (or) AuzenTech Prelude
MS Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme HSF
Logitech MX Revolution, Wireless Mouse
Logitech DiNovo Wireless Keyboard

ROBSCIX
11-30-2007, 05:44 PM
1/ Well the Prelude sounds better then the Creative X-fi's and it will have the digital options available through updates. Giving that your building a HTWS and your a heavy gamer, this card may be your best bet.
2/ You should use analog unless you have a high end receiver which can produce better sound then the Preludes DAC's. It is still nice to have the optical and digital interconnects for different tasks...
3/ Yes.
4/ Is there a reason you want to wait?

pacal
11-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Looks like the Prelude came down in price a little (-$10, Newegg). I guess I'll go with this company since everyone seems so excited about them and what they're trying to do.

I'm tired of waiting and I'm very much ready to start purchasing. Just waiting on the 780i from Asus.... If only the X48 had SLI, *sigh*...

Has anyone read about any successful mods enabling SLI on the x48 with benchmarks to support?

~Pacal