PDA

View Full Version : Prometeia, Vapochill, 'the fridge', or DIY?

mikoto
07-11-2002, 03:02 PM
Hehe... DIY for me=DANGER! :eek:

It sounds great but I'm thinkin' I'm to new to pull it off. After I break everything a few times I'll have spent a ton o' cash.

So....

If you guys could offer a little advice on the performance of theses retail set-ups I'd appreciate it.

Right now I'm runnin' an ECS K7S5A, so very little o/c options but soon I'll upgrade and you guys have inspired me to try to kill it:D

thx

mik

Hardass
07-11-2002, 03:09 PM
Welcome to Xtreme.:toast:

Leo
07-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Well you can try it yourself if you're really inclined to do so. The Vapo can't handle high heat loads well at all and the MX-EVA3/The Fridge is just crap when it comes to reliability (probably > 75% fail rate now).

I guess that just leaves the Prometeia :).

mikoto
07-11-2002, 05:51 PM
Ahh

I didn't realize the eva3 and the fridge were one in the same. I've read the posts tho :P

Damn those bastages!

Ok I like those guys at chip-con anyways. They are still trying to get UL certification(?) tho. hehe...I'm not known for patience.

Thanks for the welcome hardass :toast: right back at ya

fredperry
07-12-2002, 03:41 AM
I'd go for the prometeia, but one advantage a waterchiller has = you can cool your vidcard with it too, and even your northbridge...
But then again, you probably won't get the temps of a prometeia

Mentaly
07-12-2002, 04:43 AM
Hi there

Get the prometeia, it`s easy to setup for a newbie in phasechange cooling, theres not a big chance yuoll crush the core
like in a vapo setup, I know cause I have both setups. just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Menty

Petrus
07-12-2002, 07:45 AM
Hi,

Get the Prometeia you won't regret it ;)

mikoto
07-12-2002, 08:12 AM
thanks for all the replies

fredperry, I'm gonna watercool too. Plus if I try to set up a chiller like the rigs I've seen here and elsewhere the old ball and chain would kill me. ;)

I think I'm gonna just go with the kits I've seen at dangerden for the WC. Eheim pump, heatercore, gpu/nb blocks, tygon, etc... The only problem I forsee is with space. I use the same case the Prometia comes with now, the Enlight 7237. It's solid and functional but not exactly roomy. With the money I'm spending on the prometeia and the WC setup I won't have the cash for a good tower and I'm worried about fitting it all in there. Most of the setups I've seen have the heatercore either at the front intake or the top exhaust, with the pump sitting right where the Prometeia capillary tube enters the case. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, do the BGA sinks make much of a difference?

thx again

calantak
07-13-2002, 01:55 AM
nope

try and phase change them too;)

fOrMIs
08-11-2002, 10:01 AM
.... just a link .....

Vapochill vs. Prometeia UK

http://www.hardware-testdk.com/test_show.asp?id=1021

/ fOrMIs :)

sysfailur
08-13-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by fOrMIs
.... just a link .....

Vapochill vs. Prometeia UK

http://www.hardware-testdk.com/test_show.asp?id=1021

/ fOrMIs :)

The Prometeia is deff. the best solution, but omg, that review is such crap! They didn't even use processors in it! A testing block? Mmmm I like to see real world tests, not these testing block thingies. The real test is which can juice out more mhz.

dmitriyaz
08-13-2002, 11:37 PM
i kind of like that review,
how they compared the results @ different heat loads.
it is clearly visible where the Vapo loses it completely (about 130w)...

sysfailur
08-14-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by dmitriyaz
i kind of like that review,
how they compared the results @ different heat loads.
it is clearly visible where the Vapo loses it completely (about 130w)...

I still like realworld test myself, yeah this is more technical and precise, but I like mhz, what can I say. :P

|PuNiSh3R|
08-18-2002, 07:59 PM
DIY.. prefab SUCKS Azz.. it's been proven many times.. prefab units SUCK.. they cost a LOT..

You can yank a compressor from a refrigeration unit off of the street.. that's free.. you could even take the condensor..

Making an evaporator is a sinch.. making a condensor is no problem.. You could use a heatercore as the condensor.. It's simple.. it'll take you a day to build.. and you'll be happy with it.. If you are good you will spend about 50 to 100 dollars total.. maybe even less depending on what you already have around.

If you want help.. PM me.. I'll walk you through it.. As soon as I have some free time I am going to write up a phase change article for a couple websites.. Talking about how it works and everything.. and then how to make one.. etc..