PDA

View Full Version : Water Cooling Asus Maximus Extreme with Crosslinx

systemviper
11-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi, first post but been lurking for a while, great forum....

I have been reading the posts on "Water cooling the Asus Maximus SE X38 " but i think the Maximus Extreme has several different challenges with it's 3 Pcie slots and that friggin big blue heatsink. I just recieved mine and after reading about the SE I was wondering if anyone has taken theirs apart and reconfigured the heatsync's or changed the fusion block or what.

My first real overclocked system is a

MSI 650i platnium
q6600 oc to 3.6 on air
1600 Qdr, 400fsb
muskin extreme DDR 2 2G 800 ram
and pny 8800 gts 320M oc'd to 664/2000

cpu temp is 27 idle in the 40's load

gpu is 56 idle high 60's low 70's load

all on air, but lots of it!
It usually pulls a 3Dmark06 around 13200's...

the machine runs great and was fun building and it runs most games rockin'
I have another 8800 gts but i will use it with the Maximus Extreme till the new 3870 x2's come out, then I get it to put in here and I think i will convert to a water cooling system also.

but now I want and ATI crossfire solution so i just purchased a bunch of parts and i am going to try watercooling. The parts have just started arriving... :up:

I have a
Asus Maximus Extreme
Q6600
Swiftech Apex Ultra H20-220 With Apogee GT
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case
SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Roswill 750w PS 4 rail

I will run a 8800gts till the 3870 x2's come out around the new year then use it in sli in the other system.

I am itching to start the build but i have been doing a lot of reading about watercooling and have been waiting for all the parts to arrive,

Ths is going to be cool:confused: , it's going to be the first build that i will do with my son, he's 9. We have a partnership called systemvipers, that's us -and this is our first project together.

So i was hoping to find out how anyone is doing with the Asus Maximus Extreme, plus when i read about the maximus se, thaT SOME PEOPLE TOOK OFF THE WHOLE HEAT PIPE ASSEMBLY AND WENT WITH water blocks, i was interested, but the big blue heatsink the "Crosslinx":eek: would be smack dab in the middle of the second pcie x16 card slot.

Plus i am thinking of going to Vista with this build, I am running XP pro on the MSI system.

We thats enough blabing for now, I look forward to posting my first heat and speed numbers next week, once i make sure that everything is not leaking, and built properly and so on. I will post the starting figures, then what happens as we go into the crab nebula :shrug:

So again let me say, EXTREME MACHINE here we come,
Team SystemVipers :welcome:

Pete
11-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Photos will help of the crosslinxs HSF, there is sweet FA online of it.

I'm more than sure that if you get some decent photos of it, measurements of hole location or even the HSF Eddy or alike will make one.

I was going to get one to go to the DDR3 route but the fact is watercooling it being a pain in the ass.

So yeah, photos and measurments if you would be amazing

systemviper
11-30-2007, 06:10 PM
I just about have everything to start my build, but i found this picture and it's awsome, wanted to show it, gives me something to think about, I love using artic silver ceramic, it's the best stuff ever, so at least it will get a full new coating. Will post my starters kit. Most expensive item so far.
Super talent DDR3 1600 $450........

Can't wait till tomorrow to start!

GREAT ARTICLE HERE (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/11/22/asus_maximus_formula_and_extreme/1)

http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/2007/11/asus_maximus_formula_and_extreme/ext-idt-3.jpg

http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/2007/11/asus_maximus_formula_and_extreme/ext-hp-3.jpg

http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/2007/11/asus_maximus_formula_and_extreme/overview-e1.jpg

http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/2007/11/asus_maximus_formula_and_extreme/mobokeye.png

Regards
SystemViper

Z3R0-CooL
12-01-2007, 06:15 PM
also interested in this.... if anyone figures out how to aftermarket water cool the SB and IDT please post

Giuliano
12-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm also considering nearly the exact same thing:

Asus Maximus Extreme
Q6600

I'm also getting the ATI HD 3870's, but I'm going to try for a 3 x Crossfire configuration.

Of course I realized today that the third PCIe slot (eg, bottom) is only a single-slot and not a dual slot.

I'm looking into doing water cooling of the three 3870's with EK FC3870 blocks.

Also looking into EK blocks in a separate cooling loop for the CPU / NB / SB / Mosfet / Crosslink chips..

I plan to remove the integrated heatpipe assembly and take measurements for EK..

Flow layout and radiator requirements are undetermined at this point, but I'm planning around a CM Cosmos 1000 case.

E.R
12-13-2007, 09:37 AM
What would like to know is if EK S-Max fit this board to. Tempted to trade up if it fits.

Giuliano
12-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Possibly.. the hole layout looks about right, but I'll have to take measurements of everything and ask EK..

Giuliano
12-18-2007, 01:01 PM
There's a good chance that the following EK blocks MAY fit the Maximus Extreme:

EK NB S-MAX for the X38 Northbound chip.
http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_32&products_id=222

EK Mosfet ASUS 3a (X38) for the mosfets.
http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=205

The SB chip and IDT (Crosslink) chip may have to be cooled with some kind of a "full cover" block, with the intake and exhaust at the far side of the board. That way there may be a chance to clear the 3870's.

Concept picture:

Giuliano
12-20-2007, 02:39 PM
I removed the Fusion block heatpipe assembly from my Maximus Extreme, and will be taking measurements of the Crosslinx block for Eddy @ EK.

Interesting to note, the copper "blocks" underneath the blue Crosslinx heatsink have different heights on the same block - their thickness differs by a few mm.

The inlets and outlets would probably have to be in line with the white x1 PCIe connector, and that's assuming there isn't a fan above for a graphics card - or that you're water cooling the graphics card(s) instead.

systemviper
12-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Yea, I am just hoping to get good cooling by reseating all the heatpipe assembly with ASc plus the fusion block, this with the fusion block water cooled and great air movement should be enough, i'm hoping anyway. and putting this and the cpu on one cooling loop.

Then the 2 gpu cards on the second water cooling loop. But now I am waiting to see what ATI has in-store for us in Q1 2008, I am hoping for a 3870x2 and getting 2 of them, it will be interesting how to water cool them.... but that is just daydreaming till next year anyway

Giuliano
12-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I'm going to use Ceramique on the CPU, NB, SB, and Crosslinx for now.

Eventually I'll get all the chipset components in one loop (CPU, NB, SB, Crosslinx, Mosfets), and then have a separate loop for the 3 x 3870's.

Still trying to figure out how many radiators something like this will need..

I have room for a 2 x 120mm up at the top, and 1 120mm at the back panel, and one additional 1 120mm at the bottom of the case.

Giuliano
12-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Here's a rough concept model of what a CrossLinx water block might look like.

I took measurements and made this up in SolidWorks to see how it would look as a basic size and shape model.

The holes in the top are sized for G1/4, and are laid out with the right most hole centered over the SB chip.

This allows the tubing to fit in between the first PCIe x16 slot and the second PCIe x16 slot on the board - presuming you're water cooling the video cards, too.

The CrossLinx chip itself is under the lower left corner - you can see the different heights of the contact surfaces from the right hand view.

All dimensions were taken from the existing block, and should be accurate to +/- 0.2 mm.

This is not a real product - yet - but I'm going to send the part documents to EK and we'll see.

septim
12-20-2007, 08:37 PM
nice info...

Mando84
12-21-2007, 12:44 AM
The Crosslinx waterblock looks nice, if it is happening. Would it be possible to have a waterblock for just the soutbridge and then cool the IDT with a heatsink. Will the IDT even get that hot?

Giuliano
12-21-2007, 01:21 AM
The issue with that is the IDT chip is that it only has one mounting hole adjacent to it, so if you wanted a passive heatsink, it would have to be a permanent bond with something like the Arctic Silver epoxy compounds.

And I'm not sure how hot the IDT chip itself gets, but I would imagine it gets hot enough, switching one PCIe x16 into two x8's..

Eddy @ EK said he can make the block.

Mando84
12-21-2007, 01:26 AM
Eddy @ EK said he can make the block.

That is good news! Then I will change to EK blocks for sure. Are you positive that the EK NB S-MAX for the X38 Northbound chip and the EK Mosfet ASUS 3a (X38) will fit?

Giuliano
12-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Dimension model of the Northbound backplate.

The EK S-MAX NB block should fit, I believe the dimensions are correct to +/- 0.1mm.

Giuliano
12-21-2007, 03:26 AM
That is good news! Then I will change to EK blocks for sure. Are you positive that the EK NB S-MAX for the X38 Northbound chip and the EK Mosfet ASUS 3a (X38) will fit?

Not 100% positive, but I'm taking measurements and forwarding them on to Eddie @ EK to confirm.

However, I think it's a good chance they'll fit.

Giuliano
12-21-2007, 03:31 AM
The Crosslinx waterblock looks nice, if it is happening. Would it be possible to have a waterblock for just the soutbridge and then cool the IDT with a heatsink. Will the IDT even get that hot?

Looking at the Heat Sink Requirements for the IDT PES24N3:

http://www.idt.com/products/getDoc.cfm?docID=18446090

It indicates that the chip's normal operating temperature is anywhere between 100 C and 125 C, or 212 F (boiling point) to 257 F.

It can go higher than that, 145 C with no heat sink..

I'd say that if it's hot enough to boil at the low end, then probably just a passive heatsink won't do.

Giuliano
12-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Confirmed:

The EK NB-MAX will fit the NB chip on the Maximus Extreme.

The EK Mosfet Asus 3a (x38) mosfet blocks will also fit.

Mando84
12-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Great! Just waiting for that SB/Crosslinx block and then it's time to start watercooling the entire MB.

Giuliano, make sure to post pictures of your 3xHD3870 all watercooled setup when it's ready.

Giuliano
12-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Great! Just waiting for that SB/Crosslinx block and then it's time to start watercooling the entire MB.

Giuliano, make sure to post pictures of your 3xHD3870 all watercooled setup when it's ready.

Oh, you bet I will.. :)

One of the minor negative things the Maximus Extreme has going for it is the placement of the third PCIe x16 slot.

It's at the edge of the board, which normally will only fit a 1-slot card.

My CM Cosmos 1000 case has the power supply just underneath the third PCIe slot, which physically prevents installation of the third 3870.

The only way I'll get it to fit is to use a water block, and with a 90' fitting.

Tenative plans so far are to install a ThermoChill PA120.3 at the top of the case solely for the video cards, and then make/buy an external dual PA120.3 cooler for the CPU/NB/etc.

Giuliano
12-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Continued with minor adjustments to mounting hole placement..

Added 5th hole in center area - the other hole near the SB chip.

Current plans are to have the 3 x 3870's and the Crosslinx block on one loop, and the CPU / Mosfets / NB on the other loop..

The crosslinx chip should only get hot when the 2nd and 3rd PCIe slots are in use, and it's switching the x16 PCIe lane to 2 x8's.

systemviper
12-28-2007, 06:21 PM
ok, i need one, where do i get one?

Giuliano
12-28-2007, 06:24 PM
ok, i need one, where do i get one?

EK, some time in January or so.

He said he's going to start working on the new block after the New Year.

I'll probably ask him to send me a plastic prototype so I can test fit it before it goes into a production run.

Talonman
12-28-2007, 07:00 PM
So you think it is safe to say the NB backplate on the Asus Maximus Extreme, and the NB backplate on the Asus Maximus SE are 100% confirmed identical?

It looked like some quality measurements were taken there, and given to EK too. :up:

I am sure Eddy dosen't mind bouncing his numbers, off of another source like the numbers you came up with.
I hope they matched the latest numbers EK has been using for their ring. :)

Giuliano
12-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I'd say it's safe to say that the NB backplate is the same between the Maximus Extreme and Maximus SE.

And the mosfet blocks, too.

Talonman
12-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Good deal, better for the block makers to make 1 or 2 quality blocks, then having a different version for every mobo.

Giuliano
01-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Here's the first draft of design images that Eddy @ EK Waterblocks sent me today.

In the Top image, the area with the fins is over the SB chip, which Eddy has determined to produce more heat than the IDT chip.

The placement of the barbs should put them between the two nearest PCIe slots.

The Bottom image still needs some refinements, as there are a few components on the board between the two chips that need to have height clearances.

The block has three mounting holes - two nearest the SB chip, and the third diagonally across, nearest the IDT chip.

Eddy said he expects the price to be about 40 EUR, or ~$58 USD, and should be available in a few weeks.

Myself, I'm going to be ordering the EK Supreme CPU block, Mosfet blocks, NB block, and will be test fitting the new SB-Max EX block.

Should have it within a few weeks. :)

Giuliano
01-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Here is the redesigned version of the new EK SB-Max Ex block, which is pretty close to the final version.

The first picture places the barbs as being over the SB chip area, with the U bend loop over the IDT Crosslinx chip.

You can also see a small notch at the edge of the block - this is to clear the small capacitor on the motherboard in that area.

The second image shows how the first revision block would have fit - as you can see, there was a good chance of a conflict if you used the first and second PCIe 16 slots.

The third image shows how the second revision block should fit just fine.

Eddy @ EK said he's going to add some fins over the SB chip, and should ship the new block out to me on Thursday / Friday.

Once I receive my order, I'll be shipping the new block to Martinm210 for flow testing.

Also included in my order are:

EK Supreme
EK NB Max
EK Mosfet's
EK 3870 blocks.

Those components should provide for some interesting numbers to add to the flow rate spreadsheet tool. :)

Mando84
01-20-2008, 03:47 AM
Giuliano, any news regarding EK SB-Max Ex block?

Giuliano
01-20-2008, 03:50 AM
Should be here in a few days.. Tracking shows it already landed at JFK in New York.

I'll take pictures and test fit it, then send it off to Martinm210 for testing.

Maxx103
01-21-2008, 09:08 AM
I have a question on the stock Maximus Extreme waterblock/heatpipe/heatsink combo - is the part that has the hookups for the waterblock intergrated with the rest of the heatpipe/heatsink combo or is the waterblock bolted onto the heatpipe / heatsink combo?

Forgive me, but I haven't seen an Maximus Extreme in person before and I haven't seen a side profile shot of the waterblock/heatpipe/heatsink combo, only from above and below.

Giuliano
01-21-2008, 10:25 AM
I have a question on the stock Maximus Extreme waterblock/heatpipe/heatsink combo - is the part that has the hookups for the waterblock intergrated with the rest of the heatpipe/heatsink combo or is the waterblock bolted onto the heatpipe / heatsink combo?

Forgive me, but I haven't seen an Maximus Extreme in person before and I haven't seen a side profile shot of the waterblock/heatpipe/heatsink combo, only from above and below.

It's integrated as part of the heatpipe assembly.

The 4 screws around it are for the NB mounting points.

Giuliano
01-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Giuliano, any news regarding EK SB-Max Ex block?

I got my order from EK today, pretty fast shipping for the $$$ (expensive!)..

Unfortunately, the new EK SB-Max Ex block wasn't in there.. :dammit:

Have to see what EK says.. I had thought he was going to include the new block as a freebie for the test-fit.

I have to place another order for the new EK LGA 775 backplate anyway.

Giuliano
01-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Turns out, the new EK SB Max Ex block hasn't been manufactured yet.

Eddy also said that backplates for the Mosfet blocks should be in the EK store some time this week.

It'll probably be another few weeks.

Giuliano
01-21-2008, 03:23 PM
So you think it is safe to say the NB backplate on the Asus Maximus Extreme, and the NB backplate on the Asus Maximus SE are 100% confirmed identical?

It looked like some quality measurements were taken there, and given to EK too. :up:

I am sure Eddy dosen't mind bouncing his numbers, off of another source like the numbers you came up with.
I hope they matched the latest numbers EK has been using for their ring. :)

A test fit of the EK-Mosfet Asus 3a and EK-NB S-Max blocks is successful - both of those blocks fit just fine.

However, with the NB block, you can't use the stock Asus NB backplate, as the screws aren't nearly long enough.

Using the EK mounting hardware, the NB block fits just fine - just without a backplate.

I know that EK is working on backplates for the Mosfet blocks, so I'll ask him about a similar backplate for the NB block.

I'm pretty sure you'd need some kind of backplate.

Talonman
01-21-2008, 03:57 PM
I intend to use the stock NB backplate, nock the silver tabs out, and expand the holes a tad like another member here did. It probably will require longer bolts too...

Giuliano
01-21-2008, 05:59 PM
I intend to use the stock NB backplate, nock the silver tabs out, and expand the holes a tad like another member here did. It probably will require longer bolts too...

I'm going to keep my backplate stock, in case I ever need to return the MB back to stock..

I could always make a backplate easily enough, but it wouldn't have the fit and polish.. :)

disruptfam
01-28-2008, 04:47 PM
any pics?

Giuliano
01-28-2008, 05:26 PM
any pics?

Not yet.. the block has been held up from being manufactured by other "emergency" issues..

Presumably the demand for the new 3870 X2 blocks was the reason.

I do know that the Mosfet backplates are nearly ready.. Eddy received some today, and they're going out for nickel plating.

The latest image I have was this rendered model:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70226&stc=1&d=1199739104

jabski
02-16-2008, 05:55 PM
any news ??

Giuliano
02-17-2008, 03:20 AM
any news ??

Nothing yet.. still.

I asked for an update yesterday.. said it should be ready before the end of February, as EK's going to Cebit 2008 the 1st week in March.

I'll ask again next week.

cuprasport
02-17-2008, 10:56 AM
im intrested in 1 of these

Soto
02-21-2008, 08:27 AM
I bought a Maximus Extreme motherboard and I was wondering why everybody wants to change the complete cooling system that is included with the motherboard. Is it that bad?

I'll be following this thread to see what happens with the Crosslinx block.

Giuliano
02-21-2008, 08:46 AM
The stock heatpipe assembly is OK for transferring heat, but the block is inefficient and generally fairly restrictive due to its 3/8" inlets.

There's a whole other thread on the Maximus Formula where people have replaced the heatpipe assembly with individual blocks.

I chatted with EK today, and the latest update is that the new block should be made by / on this coming Monday.

So with any luck it should ship out to me next week or so..

Soto
02-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry. The following question can be very stupid since I've never read serious documentation about Watercooling.

I've seen there are two types of inlets, 1/4 and 3/8. 3/8 is supposed to be the biggest inlet, isn't it?

If i'm right, why that inlet would be restrictive?

In the other hand. I've read the thread for the Maximus Formula and I've seen some sets of blocks for these motherboards. What I've seen is those blocks are sold in Europe, specially the one which cool the mosfets and the NB. How to get those blocks in USA?

Giuliano
02-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Sorry, I meant to say that the inlets are meant for 3/8" ID tubing, which is still pretty small. Most use 1/2" ID tubing.

Physically, the opening of the inlets on the stock heatpipe are smaller than most of the other fittings out there.

EK Waterblocks is one of the people / shops who make blocks.

They can usually be obtained in the USA from local shops like Petras Tech Shop (PTS)..

Or you can order from overseas.. which can take a while, and can be somewhat expensive on the shipping charges..

sargatanas
02-22-2008, 12:07 PM
i hope this block will be available as soon as possible...i'm getting sick of my wc/passive solution.

Giuliano
02-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Yeah, hopefully it'll be ready soon.

I'm getting the first prototype because I assisted in taking a whole bunch of measurements.

Once I get it, I have to test fit it to the board and make sure everything fits.

If it's OK, then I'm sure the block will go up on EK's web store.

Otherwise, it's back to the drawing board for further modifications. :)

Pete
02-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Really really can't come soon enough this can!

Giuliano
02-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Update:

The block is shipping tomorrow.

Should be in hand in about a week.. :)

Mando84
02-28-2008, 06:25 AM
Really looking forward to results and pics

Giuliano
02-28-2008, 06:35 AM
There will be plenty of pics.. :)

It'll also be when I start the rest of my WC build, as I am waiting on the backplates with this order as well.

Grimtas
02-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Sweet. Once the prototype is tested and EK puts them into production that will be in my next order with the 3870X2 blocks. It's the only ones I havn't found in stock in the US. Petra had one but missed it by a day :mad:

Giuliano
02-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Yeah, the barbs on the block should fit right in between the second Pcie x16 slot and the first.

Water cooled GPUs is a necessity, as you won't have room for the tubing with a double-slot air cooler.

Pete
02-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Update:

The block is shipping tomorrow.

Should be in hand in about a week.. :)

About time too

polar bear
02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
This one appeared on the EK site yesterday.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7996/eksbmaxexts6.jpg
EK-SB MAX-EX

Is this the one you're talking about? Does it cover just SB? Or the linx chip as well?

Mando84
02-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Covers both SB and crosslinx

polar bear
02-28-2008, 11:40 AM
:D

Then I've found blocks for both the striker II SB/PCIe and maximus extreme SB/linx chips! Sweet. I have to say, both MIPS and EK have been very fast in bringing these out to retail. Great news for us watercooling enthusiasts.

Giuliano
02-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Yup, that's the one - EK-SB Max EX.

Covers the SB chip, and the Crosslinx chip.

http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/images/nb-x-max-1.jpg

Notice the stepped base - the difference between heights on the SB and Crosslinx is 1mm.. I measured for EK. :)

The cutout on the bottom is to clear a small capacitor on the motherboard between the two chips.

In the top view, the two barbs are right over the SB chip, and are parallel with the video cards, right in between the first two PCIe x16 slots.

I took a lot of measurements.. :)

Giuliano
02-28-2008, 11:55 AM
EK have been very fast in bringing these out to retail. Great news for us watercooling enthusiasts.

I can take credit for that one... I've been bugging the hell out of Eddy via IM messages about once a week.. ;)

Is it done yet?

Is it done yet?

Is it done yet?

.. ad nauseum.

It's done! Yay! :)

polar bear
02-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Yup, that's the one - EK-SB Max EX.

Covers the SB chip, and the Crosslinx chip.

Notice the stepped base - the difference between heights on the SB and Crosslinx is 1mm.. I measured for EK. :)

The cutout on the bottom is to clear a small capacitor on the motherboard between the two chips.

In the top view, the two barbs are right over the SB chip, and are parallel with the video cards, right in between the first two PCIe x16 slots.

I took a lot of measurements.. :)

Nice work! As far as I know, this is currently the only combo SB/linx block on the market. Very good indeed - I had my doubts that one would ever appear due to the originality of the Maximus Extreme layout, but it now does, so :clap: to Giuliano and the guys over at EK for bringing this block to the masses!

Giuliano
02-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Also, I'd suggest waiting a week or so before placing an order.

I'm getting the very first one, and need to do a sanity check test fit.

I'm 99% sure about the fit, but I want to get it in place and snap the pictures.

Grimtas
02-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Also, I'd suggest waiting a week or so before placing an order.

I'm getting the very first one, and need to do a sanity check test fit.

I'm 99% sure about the fit, but I want to get it in place and snap the pictures.

;) That's what I'm waiting for. Cheers for all the hard work in getting these made.

Giuliano
02-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Just confirmed that I'll be getting the clear acrylic version of the block...

Will match the rest of my EK blocks. :)

polar bear
02-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Just confirmed that I'll be getting the clear acrylic version of the block...

Will match the rest of my EK blocks. :)

So what will your setup be like? I guess you're combining the EK-SB Max EX with EK NB-MAX and EK Mosfet Asus 3a. Are you running these in a separate loop? Or combining with CPU / GPU(s) ? Reason I'm asking is that I'm planning a setup with one PA120.3 loop for CPU and one PA120.3 loop for chipset + 2x 3870X2. Will probably be using one Laing DDC Ultra for each loop. Still not 100% sure though. Interested to hear what others around here are doing as well.

Grimtas
02-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Well as my shoping list is complete and my bonus check is deposited tomorrow. My system will soon be on order. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2717548#post2717548 Is my pre-build log.

The plan is to go dual loop 120.2 on EK Supreme DDC3.2/XSPC top Loop 1
3870X2 (X2) Plus EK NB, SB/Xlink, Mosfet, 120.3 DDC3.2/XSPC top Loop 2

Grim

Giuliano
02-28-2008, 04:47 PM
So what will your setup be like? I guess you're combining the EK-SB Max EX with EK NB-MAX and EK Mosfet Asus 3a. Are you running these in a separate loop? Or combining with CPU / GPU(s) ? Reason I'm asking is that I'm planning a setup with one PA120.3 loop for CPU and one PA120.3 loop for chipset + 2x 3870X2. Will probably be using one Laing DDC Ultra for each loop. Still not 100% sure though. Interested to hear what others around here are doing as well.

I was originally thinking of having two loops:

Loop 1: CPU, Mosfet 1, Mosfet 2, NB Chip

Loop 2: GPU1, GPU2, GPU3, SB Max Ex

However, the EK Supreme really needs to be in a loop by itself, or with two pumps to boost the pressure.

Putting the Supreme alone with a PA120.3 and a D5 gets a decent flow rate of ~1.2 GPM, and around 4.5 PSI - firmly in the upper "Good" range of Martin's flow rate estimator.

Putting the rest in another loop, 3 EK3870's, NB & SB, 2 mosfets and a PA120.3 & D5 also gets about the same flow rate and PSI.

So I'm probably going to stick the CPU in its own loop, and everything else in the other loop...

Pedalmonkey
02-28-2008, 05:05 PM
your only problem will be heat disapation. but with a 120.3 with some med/high fans should do you fine.

Giuliano
02-28-2008, 05:10 PM
I have Yate Loon medium fans.

I'll have to see...

Pete
02-29-2008, 06:20 AM
Please please make sure you get lots of quaitly photos of it all once you get it mate. Looks like i might go DDR3 after all now

Giuliano
02-29-2008, 08:48 AM
I'll take plenty of pictures, I promise.

I've been using a rather nice Nikon 4 megapixel camera to take pics, which takes pictures at a very high resolution.

Most of them have been too large to post directly here, so I've had to shrink them down to under 800 x 600 to get them under 200kb.

Tell me if this test shot loads OK:
http://www.moschini.org/DSCN0345.JPG

Thanks!

polar bear
02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Yes, pic shows up, no probs!

(2272*1704, 475KB)

Pete
03-01-2008, 05:56 AM
Yeah thats okay, flash can be a pain on the compacts. Pretty good for 4MP

Im a full DSLR man now with my 16MP, crazy money but i love the shots

Soto
03-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Waiting for the pics

I'd also like to have a list of the references of blocks that I have to use if I want to fully watercool my Mobo. I'm new to this and I want everything to fit without any problem.

Also, I'd like to know where to get all these blocks in USA.

Thanks

Grimtas
03-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Soto,
Which Mobo? Maximus Extreme?

@ guiliano,
hehe broke down petra's was out of stock on the 3870x2 blocks so I had to order them from performance-pc. Couldn't wait for the test results for the SB-Max EX block so I have one on order direct from EK. Only wish they had the NB block top in acrylic as a seperate part on their site else I'd have ordered that as well as Petra's only had the Actel one in stock. That's the only non-acrylic block I'll have. I like the look of the actel however this being my first W/C build I'll go with acrylic until I build my confidence level ;)

Patentialy awaiting any updates as my last block will be 2-3 weeks to deliver from solivania ;(

Giuliano
03-06-2008, 04:48 AM
The block arrived a day or so ago, so I should have fit results and pics up later tonight..

The block's at home, but unfortunately I am not. :(

Giuliano
03-06-2008, 04:54 AM
EK Blocks known to fit:

EK Supreme w/ LGA 775 bracket. Universal bracket doesn't fit.
EK 775 backplate - presumed, test fit is tonight.

EK-NB S-MAX - block for the NB chip.

EK-Mosfet ASUS 3a (X38) - 2 x Mosfet blocks.
EK Mosfet backplates - presumed, test fit is tonight.

EK-SB Max Ex - SB and Crosslinx chip.
Presumed to fit, the test fit and pictures tonight.

polar bear
03-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Couldn't wait for the test results for the SB-Max EX block so I have one on order direct from EK. Patentialy awaiting any updates as my last block will be 2-3 weeks to deliver from solivania ;(

Hehe also couldnt wait so now holding my breath for your update as the SB-Max that I ordered was sent from Transylvania :rofl: today ;)

Pete
03-06-2008, 08:02 AM
EK Blocks known to fit:

EK Supreme w/ LGA 775 bracket. Universal bracket doesn't fit.
EK 775 backplate - presumed, test fit is tonight.

EK-NB S-MAX - block for the NB chip.

EK-Mosfet ASUS 3a (X38) - 2 x Mosfet blocks.
EK Mosfet backplates - presumed, test fit is tonight.

CPU block will fit but needs the LGA775 only mount it seams

NB block if the new rev after Eddy took my measurments wrong or what ever it be will fit

Mosfets will fit just a pain to fit

SB i have no idea thats all your own work but good luck

Oh and hurry up!!

Giuliano
03-06-2008, 08:10 AM
NB block if the new rev after Eddy took my measurments wrong or what ever it be will fit

So is there a problem with the EK NB block fitting the Max Ex?

I test fit mine, it seemed to go on OK.

Oh and hurry up!!

I'm hurrying, I'm hurrying.. I have a plane to catch to get home later this afternoon.. :)

Pete
03-06-2008, 12:26 PM
So is there a problem with the EK NB block fitting the Max Ex?

I test fit mine, it seemed to go on OK.

I'm hurrying, I'm hurrying.. I have a plane to catch to get home later this afternoon.. :)

There was, some measurments where off, Eddy check with me and last i heard but a new top was made. I think 1st batch was very little out in the market and and has been replaced by new nb block. Seams you okay but mine is a big tight, small file sorted it no problems

Grimtas
03-06-2008, 12:31 PM
hehe gonna be on the site tonight instead of building my system. Commitment man I took two days off work to have a 4 day weekend to build :rofl:

Giuliano
03-06-2008, 01:05 PM
In other news, ATI released Catalyst 8.3 with support for CrossfireX with 3 or 4 GPU's..

Should be interesting to see how that pans out.

I'm so busy with work I won't be able to continue the rest of the build until Sunday. :(

I'll test fit the new block tonight and do a paper gap test to check the fit.

Grimtas
03-06-2008, 01:36 PM
^^ That is good news I should have the 3870X2 's today ;)

Pete
03-06-2008, 01:47 PM
In other news, ATI released Catalyst 8.3 with support for CrossfireX with 3 or 4 GPU's..

I'm so busy with work I won't be able to continue the rest of the build until Sunday. :(

But SLI still beats 2 cards with 4 core currently but the drivers are raw and AMD/ATI came in on there promiss that it'd happen!

Giuliano
03-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Clicky for high-res pics.

http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExTop.JPG/EK-SBMaxExTop-medium;init:.jpg (http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExTop.JPG/EK-SBMaxExTop-full;init:.JPG)

http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExBottom.JPG/EK-SBMaxExBottom-medium;init:.jpg (http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExBottom.JPG/EK-SBMaxExBottom-full;init:.JPG)

More to come.. I have to disassemble my Maximus Extreme first. :)

Grimtas
03-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Dont rem which thread I read it in but I can confirm you can use the stock NB backplate with the EK block. Only point to note is EK's bolts are wider the the nut certs on the back plate. I used a 1/4" socked and gently taped out the nut certs. The EK bolts are just slightly larger in dia the the nut cert holes, however they will thread their way through if your careful.

Gal, I forgot the orientation of the cpu block I think I have it right.

USB ports top right I have the EK - Supreme running N/S. A pic would be good if you have to confirm.

Thanks,

Grim

disruptfam
03-06-2008, 07:35 PM
that blocks looks great..

I can't praise eddie's work enough pure wc pRon

Grimtas
03-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks disrupt that's what I thought and how I prep mounted it ;)

Giuliano
03-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Here's four pics of the initial test fit.

Good clearance all around.

http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExMounted1a.JPG/EK-SBMaxExMounted1a-medium;init:.jpg (http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExMounted1a.JPG/EK-SBMaxExMounted1a-full;init:.JPG)

http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExMounted1b.JPG/EK-SBMaxExMounted1b-medium;init:.jpg (http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExMounted1b.JPG/EK-SBMaxExMounted1b-full;init:.JPG)

http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExMounted2.JPG/EK-SBMaxExMounted2-medium;init:.jpg (http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExMounted2.JPG/EK-SBMaxExMounted2-full;init:.JPG)

http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExMounted3.JPG/EK-SBMaxExMounted3-medium;init:.jpg (http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExMounted3.JPG/EK-SBMaxExMounted3-full;init:.JPG)

The initial impressions:

The positioning of the mounting holes in the upper right and lower left is perfect.
However, the position of the mounting screw hole in the middle (not shown here) is off by about 1/2mm to 1mm. The mounting hole is used to provide a tension point across from the SB chip.
The paper gap test between the Crosslinx chip and the block is perfect - zero gap.
However, the gap between the SB chip and the block has a very thin gap - I used a business card stock to check. The card was a loose fit towards the center of the block, but a tight fit towards the right edge.
Also, the screw provided to anchor the middle mount point is a few mm long - it bottoms out in the block before the screw head reaches the motherboard.

Possible fixes:

Reduce the thickness of the block section that covers the Crosslinx chip (the raised part) by a few tenths of a mm (0.1-0.2mm).
Adjust the alignment of the mounting holes in the plexi top so that the screw hole in the copper bottom is aligned.
Find a shorter screw for the middle hole.. I believe the screws are M3 metric. Easy fix.

Fix #1 can most likely be accomplished by wet sanding the raised portion of the block with 800-1200 grit paper on a plate of glass.. the name for the technique escapes me at the moment.

Fix #2 may be accomplished by some slight dremeling, but this should also be an easy fix for EK to adjust. Much easier to adjust the plexi top than the copper bottom.

The bottom line right now is that the block is a decent fit right now, with only some minor changes required for a perfect fit.

The extra gap above the SB chip can easily be filled by the TIM - Ceramique or AS5 would do fine.

Grimtas
03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Giuliano,
Once again excelent work!! EK too for providing these blocks in the first place.

The mods required for a first run IMHO are very minor and I'm not as stressed now as my block ships tomorrow.

Thanks again Giuliano and EK for making this possible.

Grim

Giuliano
03-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Just in time for the new Maximus II Extreme!

The blocks should all fit - they only changed the NB chip.

Image: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/medium/2008/03/P45_Asus_P45_Maximus_2_Extreme_00.jpg

More pictures at PCGamesHardware.de (http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?menu=browser&article_id=634565

polar bear
03-07-2008, 11:04 AM

Wow, thanx for the update! You just caused my to splurge away on a 2nd 3870X2 :D :D Should be interesting to see how it turns out... should be sick :p:

Good clearance all around.

The initial impressions:

The positioning of the mounting holes in the upper right and lower left is perfect.
However, the position of the mounting screw hole in the middle (not shown here) is off by about 1/2mm to 1mm. The mounting hole is used to provide a tension point across from the SB chip.
The paper gap test between the Crosslinx chip and the block is perfect - zero gap.
However, the gap between the SB chip and the block has a very thin gap - I used a business card stock to check. The card was a loose fit towards the center of the block, but a tight fit towards the right edge.
Also, the screw provided to anchor the middle mount point is a few mm long - it bottoms out in the block before the screw head reaches the motherboard.

The bottom line right now is that the block is a decent fit right now, with only some minor changes required for a perfect fit.

The extra gap above the SB chip can easily be filled by the TIM - Ceramique or AS5 would do fine.

Very good work indeed :clap: I can now sleep allright until my Max Ex blocks arrive.

Just in time for the new Maximus II Extreme!

The blocks should all fit - they only changed the NB chip.

Image: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/medium/2008/03/P45_Asus_P45_Maximus_2_Extreme_00.jpg

More pictures at PCGamesHardware.de (http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?menu=browser&article_id=634565

Eeeh, another Max Ex is out :eek: No mate please noooooo! I cannot spend more money now... should stop reading any more forum entries/hardware news from now on until a few months have passed...

Giuliano
03-08-2008, 06:04 PM
I cut a strip of business card paper, which is 0.3 mm thick, and was able to fit it under the left edge of the SB chip.

http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExGapTest.JPG/EK-SBMaxExGapTest-large.JPG (http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExGapTest.JPG/EK-SBMaxExGapTest-full;init:.JPG)

The fit is tight on the right side of the strip, and loose on the left side.

Most Thermal Inteface Material (TIM) pads are 5-10 mil thick, which is ~ 0.127 to 0.254 mm thick, which should do OK.

A layer of paste would probably also do OK.

Grimtas
03-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the update Gal. From the looks of the vid cards mounted it's going to be interesting to plumb without kinks. Now if my block would just get here ;)

Giuliano
03-09-2008, 03:05 PM
More pics:

http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExInstalled1.jpg/EK-SBMaxExInstalled1-large.jpg (http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExInstalled1.jpg/EK-SBMaxExInstalled1-full;init:.jpg)

http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExInstalled2.jpg/EK-SBMaxExInstalled2-large.jpg (http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExInstalled2.jpg/EK-SBMaxExInstalled2-full;init:.jpg)

Should be plenty of room for worm clamps, though you'd have to tighten them before you put the video card(s) in.

The bitpower 1/2" ID - 1" compression fittings won't fit.

But a slightly reduced outer diameter compression fitting might fit.. as long as the maximum OD is less than 0.80", or roughly 3/4".

polar bear
03-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Those SLI connectors, they wouldnt be the same as these?

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3153/sliverbindungsnippelws4.jpg

Just ordered them for my 3-SLI 8800GTX setup. They haven't arrived yet. Just wanted to know if they will fit.

Also, looks like you're using 1/2" barb size for graphics cards, yes?

Giuliano
03-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Those SLI connectors, they wouldnt be the same as these?

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3153/sliverbindungsnippelws4.jpg

Just ordered them for my 3-SLI 8800GTX setup. They haven't arrived yet. Just wanted to know if they will fit.

Also, looks like you're using 1/2" barb size for graphics cards, yes?

No, the ones I have are the EK stubby 1/2" fittings, which I have to connect with a short piece of tubing and a clamp.

I had considered the Koolance SLI connectors you showed, but I wasn't sure if they would be the right length.

Grimtas
03-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Giuliano,
Using the EK shorties are you stressing the cards any? That might be the way I go however looking at your pics it doesn't look like your using the spacers for the copper/nickle block side w/ the shorty. How far are the threads going in on the copper/nickle side?

Giuliano
03-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Giuliano,
Using the EK shorties are you stressing the cards any? That might be the way I go however looking at your pics it doesn't look like your using the spacers for the copper/nickle block side w/ the shorty. How far are the threads going in on the copper/nickle side?

I don't think I'm stressing the cards any - the blocks were installed per the directions, so there's no bowing or bending.

The short barbs don't need the spacers - they're shorter. :)

However, the plugs do need the spacers for the copper side, as their threads are a bit longer.

Grimtas
03-09-2008, 04:55 PM
I guess I'm ordering 2x EK shorties now ;) thanks for the pic.

Giuliano
03-10-2008, 07:23 AM
The initial impressions:

Possible fixes:

Reduce the thickness of the block section that covers the Crosslinx chip (the raised part) by a few tenths of a mm (0.1-0.2mm).
Adjust the alignment of the mounting holes in the plexi top so that the screw hole in the copper bottom is aligned.
Find a shorter screw for the middle hole.. I believe the screws are M3 metric. Easy fix.

Fix #1 can most likely be accomplished by wet sanding the raised portion of the block with 800-1200 grit paper on a plate of glass.. the name for the technique escapes me at the moment.

Fix #2 may be accomplished by some slight dremeling, but this should also be an easy fix for EK to adjust. Much easier to adjust the plexi top than the copper bottom.

Update:

Fix #1 is not required - the step height on the bottom of the block is correct.

The thin gap (0.2 - 0.3 mm) is being caused by the spring tension forcing the board underneath to bow a tiny bit.

That should go away with use of the threaded hole in the middle.

A shorter M3 screw is requred for use with the hole underneath - any fine-thread computer screw (M3x0.5) will do, such as ones used with DVD drives, floppy drives, etc.. Thread length of about 5mm is ideal.

To correct the hole alignment problem, Eddy has suggested making the mounting holes in the plexi top slightly elongated so as to form a slot.

The block only needs to shift by about 1-2 mm to get the hole to align.

I'm going to take my block tonight and gently widen the holes with my Dremel tool.

For those of you who have ordered the block but haven't received it yet, the new top should come pre-modified for you as shown:

http://www.moschini.org/EK-SBMaxExlengthenedslots..jpg

smee
03-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Wow, I really like that EK block, EK's are always high quality! :)
Hows the flow with it?

Keep up the good work!

Giuliano
03-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Wow, I really like that EK block, EK's are always high quality! :)
Hows the flow with it?

Keep up the good work!

Don't know how the flow is quite yet, but I'm assuming it's relatively free flowing like EK's NB and GPU blocks.

Pete
03-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Thank you both ya self and Eddy. It's sad it took this amount of time but meh.

Looks like i'm going DDR3 now then! Whoop whoop

Lloyd
03-10-2008, 09:17 AM
The gap between the sb and the block looks more like 1mm - i can see daylight through it.
I'm wondering if the centre screw will pull it down that much?

Giuliano
03-10-2008, 09:22 AM
The gap between the sb and the block looks more like 1mm - i can see daylight through it.
I'm wondering if the centre screw will pull it down that much?

It won't, and it's not supposed to.

You'll see light underneath the block because there is free space between the two chips..

The gap between the SB chip and the block is slim - I was barely able to fit a strip of business card paper in there, which is no more than 0.2 - 0.3 mm thick.

Lloyd
03-10-2008, 09:29 AM
no i'm talking about between the sb chip and the copper on the block, it looks more than 0.2 - 0.3mm, i can see daylight through it. lol

Giuliano
03-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Is this with the screws / springs in place and the block tensioned down?

I was able to see daylight through mine as well..

I'll check it again tonight.

Lloyd
03-10-2008, 10:07 AM
yeah everything was tight. Looking at it, i wouldn't feel comfortable putting a load of TIM on and hoping - it was that big, and i certainly will not use a pad - kinda defeats the point i think, lol
I don't see the new top fixing this, let me know what u find.

Lloyd
03-10-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't see how that proposed mod will work - i need to move my block further toward the PCI-E slot to line the hole up -
Mod done and still no better - i just have a bodged top that looks aweful! i don't have the tools to do that kinda thing

Lloyd
03-10-2008, 12:39 PM
there are capasitors in the way!
The top seemed fine - i think the bottom needs adjusting

Giuliano
03-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I disassembled the block and mounted only the base plate to the board, using the screw hole from underneath.

When I did that, the block was completely flat over the SB chip, and there was only a very slight gap at the left edge of the Crosslinx chip.

I didn't even have to tighten the screw very much, so it should provide the tension required when used with the other two screws.

http://www.moschini.org/MiddleScrewMountOnly.jpg/MiddleScrewMountOnly-large.jpg (http://www.moschini.org/MiddleScrewMountOnly.jpg/MiddleScrewMountOnly-full;init:.jpg)

I was also unable to modify the top to make the slots longer, but I do have a planned fix to implement until EK can make a new top with the changes I recommended to him.

The plan I have is to cut two 1" x 1/4" brass strips to overlay the upper right and lower left sides of the top to allow the screws to mount and to provide reinforcement.

http://www.moschini.org/BrassStripReinforcement.jpg/BrassStripReinforcement-large.jpg (http://www.moschini.org/BrassStripReinforcement.jpg/BrassStripReinforcement-large.jpg)

I should have something workable on that by tomorrow.

Lloyd
03-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Even after this mod - it doesn't fit, there's not enough play or room, the arm with the screw holes need to be longer by 2 - 3 mm atleast, and possibly a step cut out under the left screw arm (next to the pci slots) so it doesn't hit the capasitors/whatever they are :)
I look forward to reading what u find out.
thanks for your help so far
Regards

Grimtas
03-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Just got an email from EK they are going to delay my shipment 1 week on the SB-Max-EX block pending the mod. Looks like I'll be the ginny pig to test the modded block ;)

Grim

Eddy_EK
03-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi Guys, sorry for all the delays.
We'll find a solution for that, no worries.
The main problem is that we don't the board :S

Lloyd
03-11-2008, 06:54 PM
erm - i can send u mine if u like?

Sent this evening (if not first thing in the morning)

Grimtas
03-13-2008, 11:12 AM

Just got around to reading the release notes of Cat 8.3...

"Note: CrossFireX™ (Quad) is only supported under the Windows Vista operating system " That's a bit disapointing...:(

polar bear
03-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Well, same with 3-SLI, isnt it? Vista only.

Got my crossfirex setup up n running yesterday - 2x3870x2. Just been through some quick benchmarks. So far disappointing results with 3DMark06: 19284 with one 3870x2 and *drumrolls* 17129 with crossfireX :hitself:

Anyway driver just got out so expect to see improvement over the next few months, otherwise 3DMark score is no big deal as we know - with 3-sli got roughly 400 points scaling over regular sli.

Also - still waiting for those EK blocks... clearing customs for the last week and this has taken longer than the actual international shipment :confused:

Grimtas
03-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Just got the shorties in yesterday and they do infact fit without flexing the cards, the barbs touch each other and you can fit worm clamps in between.

I too am waiting on my SB block, it was delayed by EK pending the fitment mod. The case is coming along nicely I'll post more pics on my build log this weekend. I finally figured out a way to fit everything into the cube running dual / horizontal. Down side is I need to order a new top, (Drilled a hole where I shouldn't have :rofl: )

Last component for me to order is the Corsair DDR3 memory. No one in the U.S. has them in stock (For a price I'm willing to pay).

lior307
03-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Just got around to reading the release notes of Cat 8.3...

"Note: CrossFireX™ (Quad) is only supported under the Windows Vista operating system " That's a bit disapointing...:(

Microsoft monopol again - foces us to buy Vista .
I belive that if they release DX10 for XP - they will loose at least 50 %
Upgrades ' so every new thing they do is only for Vista

Grimtas
03-14-2008, 01:00 PM
I run both Vista and XP now on my systems. I just prefer XP over Vista.

Grimtas
03-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Anyone have any recommendations to cool the SB and XLink chips while I wait for EK to finish the WB mod? I was thinking of just a couple of ram sinks and an 80mm fan as a stop gap solution to allow me to load the OS, Apps, and take initial temps. I'm not going to overclock my system until I finish off the GPU/MB loop, but as the other components are already underwater I only need to cool the last two chips.

I need to take another look at my Heatbridge to see if I can remove the stock SB/XLink heatsink without damaging the bridge, if I can't I'll need some other ideas..

Your ideas are welcomed.

Grim

sargatanas
03-25-2008, 11:49 AM
well I just took some swiftech heatsinks for it and put em on the clx/sb...more than enough. temps are bout ~29°c

Grimtas
03-25-2008, 04:48 PM
A local PC shop had a few aluminum chipset heatsink's in a parts. $2 solution works for me until the SB block is avail again.. Thanks for the help.

Eddy_EK
03-27-2008, 02:59 AM
OK, Now I can confirm the block is ready and will fit perfectly :) yay!

Grimtas
03-27-2008, 11:36 AM
OK, Now I can confirm the block is ready and will fit perfectly :) yay!

Great news!!!

polar bear
03-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Just posted a new thread detailing my version of watercooling the Max-Ex... using a complete selection of EK waterblocks... including the fabled EK-SB Max-Ex :D another chance to thank Eddie/Giuliano for their fantastic work :clap:

have a look here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182366)

Lloyd
04-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Got mine (and my board back) today - looks like it's perfect!
THANKYOU VERY MUCH EDDY :)

Grimtas
04-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Just received my modded block on Sat. Drained and replumbed the GPU/MB loop to add the new block. Temps are now in range with the rest of the board so I'm pleased with it. I'm mildly disappointed in the block I received was simply redrilled and taped next to the original hole instead of a new base. The tread btwn the two holes is very very thin. As I'll probably never take the block off much (Except for cleaning), it should be ok. I have pics I'll have to DL from the camera tonight.

Lloyd
04-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Hiya Guys,
i got mine back a couple of weeks ago (at least) buit only just had the time to mount them, so here are a few pics so far...........
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179747
They're the last pics
Regards
Lloyd