PDA

View Full Version : RAM and Motherboard cpu etc help

mykemyk2006
11-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Ok im going to be getting a new motherboard , CPU , RAM and GPU.

I was thinking about either the gigabyte X38-DQ6 or the ASUS Maximus Formula SE.

The CPU i was thinking about getting the Q6600.

RAM im confused about.

And of course the evga 8800gt 512mb

Im not an extreme overclocker but i do want to overclock as much as possible. I am just going to use air/heatsink for cooling, no water etc etc.

Here are my questions

Which motherboard do you guys recommend? and give me a reason why or should i get another one?

Should i wait for the next gen quads from intel or just get the q6600 now?

I was thinking of getting Crucial pc8500 2x1 gb ($114.00 after $25 mail in rebate)

should i get Crucial 2 x 2x1 gb (4x1 gigs) of pc6400 instead? price (180 after rebate and before tax

Im not made of money but im not trying to skimp either and i want this thing to last at least 2 years (mostly cpu and ram and mobo).

mykemyk2006
11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
edit

trowakage
11-27-2007, 08:34 PM
To me, the quads aren't really worth considering right now, as not many apps or games can take advantage of that many cores, and by the time there are, newer and better quads would be out

With the current chipset architecture, slower memory is definitely not as much of a problem or hindrance as it was before. Since you plan to overclock anyways, I'm thinking a 4gb (2x2gb) kit would be a good idea, especially since Vista chews up almost a gig unto itself. (although 4gigs of DDR2 is a little silly considering a shift to DDR3 in a year or 2)