PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best Temp Sensor?

ladderman
11-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Just wondered if anyone has any views on these two Temp Sensors.

+ & - On each one would be very much appreciated.

Where is the best place to put a Temp Sensor in your loop or does it not matter ?

Alphacool TEMP Thermo sensor In-Line 8mm PlugIn G1/4" or D-Tek Inline Temperature Probe

headala
11-26-2007, 07:23 AM
I have no idea about the d-tek. I own an alphacool sensor, except mine is G1/4 threaded (not 8mm plug in), and it works great. I bought a G1/4 T from a local guy for RMB15 (about 2 USD) and it still works great. Sensor seems accurate to my other Aqua Computer sensors.

As far as placement goes, it depends on what you want to measure. I want it in the hottest part of the loop, i.e., right before the radiator. I use that sensor reading to automatically adjust the fans on the rad. Other people put one sensor on either side of the rad so that they can see how effective it is. I just depends what you want.

Jedda
11-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Have four of the D-tek. They're accurate and not restrictive. Play well with my M-cube gear.
I'm using them for rad water temp in and out, two per loop.
They come in 3/8" or 1/2" fitting. Make sure you're getting the one you want. I've noticed one or two outlets don't specify the fitting size.
Got mine from Tom at ChilledPC-UK

Snyxxx
11-26-2007, 05:59 PM
I like the g1/4 screw-in type as mentioned above and uses the same Tee pictured. I purchased from Performance PCs. It palys well with my bigNG hardware. I never trusted the push fit type pictured above.

Some more discussion in this thread.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152637&highlight=temperature+probe

Jedda
11-26-2007, 06:19 PM
The D-tek aren't push in. Theres a square screw in boss on top.
I haven't pulled one apart but they're different to the push in types M-cube and others sell.

Snyxxx
11-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Jedda,

You are right. I did not look close enough. I was thinking about the mcubed that I had seen before and thought that was it. Oops.

Jedda
11-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Yes, am not impressed by the idea of a resistance fit myself. If it pushes in there's no reason water pressure shouldn't push it back out over time.
I have some alphacool sensors here but liked the lighter weight involved in a plastic T-fitting. They're all pretty close as far as accuracy goes, I think.

ladderman
11-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Yes, am not impressed by the idea of a resistance fit myself. If it pushes in there's no reason water pressure shouldn't push it back out over time.
I have some alphacool sensors here but liked the lighter weight involved in a plastic T-fitting. They're all pretty close as far as accuracy goes, I think.

Jedda has a good point there.

I’ve come across this probe that could be screwed into a ¼ thread T piece.
Or you could fit it direct to the spare port on a EK res. Would that be a good place to have a probe?

Serpentarius
11-27-2007, 01:13 AM
i wan to ask .. why dun the temp sensors are placed on barbs instead of buying these things above?
maybe covered with neoprene also? to avoid external interference?
does submerged in coolant can give more accurate readings?

Waterlogged
11-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Res would be the best place so it's not interfering with flow at all.

The push-in type in the OP isn't going to go anywhere, not without the collet being released anyway. It requires the use of a standard push-fit fitting and they grab metal something fierce. I use those type fittings and 2mm walled PUR tubing and it doesn't go anywhere either.

headala
11-27-2007, 01:37 AM
water-sensor contact is much superior to water-fitting-sensor contact. It's why you don't usually cook on your stove with a metal plate between your pot and the fire.

I have used the alphacool one in one of the ports of my res and it worked fine. It was just slower to get the change in coolant because of the mass of the coolant in the res.

Snyxxx
11-27-2007, 04:51 AM
ladderman,

The screw-in type in your last post is what I use. Put a barb on each end of the Tee and put it in-line with your tubing. That would be most accurate for temps. You can see mine in the lower part of the case.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60110&stc=1&d=1181006209

IanB
11-27-2007, 04:59 AM
@ladderman

What make is that screw-in temp sensor? If it fits in the bottom port of an EK res I want one! Where in the UK can you obtain it from?

ladderman
11-27-2007, 05:29 AM
@ladderman

What make is that screw-in temp sensor? If it fits in the bottom port of an EK res I want one! Where in the UK can you obtain it from?

You can get them from Vadim:

http://www.vadim.co.uk/Internal+Liquid+Thermosensor+1-s_4-q_+Thread

IanB
11-27-2007, 05:55 AM
Many thanks for that! I've never used Vadim's before. I was hoping to make up a larger order to make the delivery worthwhile, but browsing for stuff I wanted sadly their ex-VAT prices are mostly more expensive than other etailers' WITH VAT prices... :shocked:

mildseven7
11-27-2007, 08:12 AM
@ladderman

This only fit EK res bottom port, not the 2 port on the side cause there's a divider in the middle that blocked the sensor.

If you need to fit to side port, you need this.
Innovatek Fitting Extension (501102) (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2295/ex-tub-37/Innovatek_Fitting_Extension_501102.html?tl=g30c101 )

Jedda
11-27-2007, 03:45 PM
ladderman,

The screw-in type in your last post is what I use. Put a barb on each end of the Tee and put it in-line with your tubing. That would be most accurate for temps. You can see mine in the lower part of the case.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60110&stc=1&d=1181006209

That's sold in the US under the alphacool name and I have put a DMM on ome. Its within range to work with M-cube but Recker got a batch that wouldn't work.
Could be the luck of the batch you get.

ladderman
11-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Many thanks for that! I've never used Vadim's before. I was hoping to make up a larger order to make the delivery worthwhile, but browsing for stuff I wanted sadly their ex-VAT prices are mostly more expensive than other etailers' WITH VAT prices... :shocked:

I know what you are saying, Vadim are always over priced compared to other retailers.

I would always try to track down my parts from other places before I would ever consider buying from Vadim.

There is no need for there gear to be that more expensive.

ladderman
11-27-2007, 04:02 PM
This only fit EK res bottom port, not the 2 port on the side cause there's a divider in the middle that blocked the sensor.

If you need to fit to side port, you need this.
Innovatek Fitting Extension (501102) (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2295/ex-tub-37/Innovatek_Fitting_Extension_501102.html?tl=g30c101 )

Yes I agree with you on that.

I am going to call at my local plumber store to see if I can the some sort of ¼ “thread male/female extension.

I also reckon I can get my hands on a ¼” T- piece at the plumber as well.

I bet they will be cheap as chips from a local plumber store

ladderman
11-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Can I ask you guys where you think the best place in a loop is to put a temp probe?

I would of thought that it would be as close as you can get it to the block. That way you would get a reading at the hottest point.

That’s my way of thinking, but please tell me if I’m wrong.

Snyxxx
11-27-2007, 06:52 PM
I remember ranker having two in a loop, one just before and one just after the radiator. It was like 1°C difference and I think he removed one of them since the conclusion was the water temp is basically the same throughout the loop after it settles down for awhile.

Serpentarius
11-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Can I ask you guys where you think the best place in a loop is to put a temp probe?

I would of thought that it would be as close as you can get it to the block. That way you would get a reading at the hottest point.

That’s my way of thinking, but please tell me if I’m wrong.

under the processor? before placing heatsink?

anyway .. which area u guys normally place the temp probe .. in the water? or on the hardware?

Jedda
11-27-2007, 09:05 PM
under the processor? before placing heatsink?

anyway .. which area u guys normally place the temp probe .. in the water? or on the hardware?

Both/either depending on your purpose.
Whether you are information gathering or controlling fans etc.
Like Snyxxx says, there's very little diff throughout the water but I have rad entry and exit so I can get feedback on fans and fan speeds. Once I've seen for myself what numbers I get it'll probably change.
The same applies to most of my sensors, except the cpu and N/B blocks. They're mounted on the blocks and calibrated to reflect the die temps.

Snyxxx
Yeah, sorry. I tend to mix Ranker and another guy, Recker a flight sim buddy of mine, up often when posting.

2000army
11-28-2007, 12:29 AM
what does the wire end up connecting to? Is it a certain temp reader or are there multiple readers that it can be used with?

This ? is for the alphacool

ladderman
11-28-2007, 09:53 AM
You can use different types of reader. The Alphacool LCD Display sits in your front bay and displays the information. Or you can use the mCubed T-Balancer + Sensor hub, which is a software based system that you read through Windows.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=156663

Xilikon
11-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Great idea to put sensors in both input and output of the radiator, I might do that so we can determine the efficiency and adjust fans depending on the delta.