PDA

View Full Version : Slightly off topic tubing question..

quicksilverXP
11-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Hey guys,

This may seem off topic but I figure you guys might know more than actual musicians. I'm in need of the perfect tubing for a talkbox I built. For those of you that do not know what a talkbox is, it's the mechanism used by Roger Troutman to do all those cool voice sound effects for songs like "Computer Love" and "California Love."

Basically, its an enclosed, air-tight speaker that sends the sound through a tube... then you place the tube in your mouth and you make words by shaping your mouth.

I need tubing that is slightly tougher than the tygon, masterkleer, and clearflex tubing that we are used to. Simply because the method by which the tubing is held in place inside the mouth is using your teeth (you molars to be more specific), and if the tubing is too soft... you end squeezing the tubing and then the sound is blocked off.

For those of you living near a Home Depot, they have standard clear tubing there.. and the brand name is called "WATTS" tubing. It's probably the only "similar" tubing you can by if you need to find watercooling tubing for home use and buying tubing from Home Depot. That is the closest I have experienced that is rigid enough for my needs as well as flexible enough for me to easily route it. I have also tried the real stiff white tubing that is available at Home Depot as well as the braided tubing, and those are just too tough to the point where it makes routing the tube from the ground towards near the mic nearly impossible. So as you can see... I need the toughest vinyl tubing with a decent amount of felxibility as well.

However, my goal is to find good tubing at McMaster Carr so I may order in bulk (you HAVE to constantly replace the tubing every month... even week... and its getting expensive).

I know in the past that Asetek Waterchill tubing is pretty tough... so I order some of that just to try out.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Scubar
11-26-2007, 02:07 AM
Try a local garden center if you can, the one near me has tons of tubing for water features and stuff and its alot harder than tygon and clearflex.

DeMoN
11-26-2007, 03:40 AM
If anybody want to see a talkbox in action check this out its actually a pretty cool device.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By-cF0W2JLw

eXa
11-26-2007, 05:41 AM
how about using tygon or clearflex tubing and some "fitting"(im looking for a better word here) on the end to bite on...?

tet5uo
11-26-2007, 06:00 AM
Cool, an analog vocoder, eh?

quicksilverXP
11-26-2007, 12:42 PM
how about using tygon or clearflex tubing and some "fitting"(im looking for a better word here) on the end to bite on...?

I actually tried that. The problem with that is that the fitting will reduce the internal width of the tubing... which is the most critical area of the tubing... this would "muffle" the sound a lot when the sound leaves the tubing in the mouth.

I'll look for a local garden center.

Marci
11-27-2007, 03:00 AM
One of my forumites had the same issue, so he bought some 3/8" ID Steel Reinforced tube from us, which fitted perfectly and afaik does the task fine...

http://www.over-clock.co.uk/acatalog/10mm_reinforced_steel_tube.html

Basically, speak to this man: Rockin™ (http://www.over-clock.co.uk/ivb/index.php?showuser=776)