PDA

View Full Version : What Thermal Paste To Use Between The Tec???

Nohto
07-28-2003, 04:48 PM
What paste should I use between my WB/tec/cold plate? I have arctic silver, arctic alumina, Shinitsu, and of course the good old cheap white stuff.

Turbo
07-29-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Nohto
What paste should I use between my WB/tec/cold plate? I have arctic silver, arctic alumina, Shinitsu, and of course the good old cheap white stuff.

I would go with the arctic alumina.

CCW
07-29-2003, 08:41 AM
Silver is better than Alumina.

Craig

Turbo
07-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by CCW
Silver is better than Alumina.

Craig

For sub-zero cooling??

OPPAINTER
07-29-2003, 12:27 PM
I would use ASIII for it.

OPP

Turbo
07-29-2003, 12:50 PM
I guess its up to you but check this out (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16537)

OPPAINTER
07-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Turbo
I guess its up to you but check this out (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16537)

Nice Turbo, are you saying you wouldn't use AS3 because it's conductive?? :D
Thats a funny excuse :D

OPP

OPPAINTER
07-29-2003, 02:21 PM

I wonder if Swiftech knows about this:D

Heres an e-mail I sent today.
-----------------------------
Hi guys,

What kind of thermal compound do you use to assemble your tec blocks, in
other words, what are you useing on your peltiers.

Thanks,

Eric
------------------
AS3

Best Regards,

Gabe
--------------------------------

OPP:)

Turbo
07-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Thats odd, all their blocks that have peltiers include a small tube of alumina and not silver.

OPPAINTER
07-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Thats odd, all their blocks that have peltiers include a small tube of alumina and not silver.

They upgraded from AOS paste, they figuerd having a name like Artic Alumina would look better, plus they got a better deal on it:D

OPP

OPPAINTER
07-29-2003, 03:44 PM
I'm waiting for a reply from Gabe, even though they use AS3 on the pelts I'm wondering what he really thinks is the best pelt compound.

OPP

Nohto
07-29-2003, 04:04 PM
How's it going Turbo? What's up Opp (didn't want you to think I was leaving you out) LOL.....
I decided to put it together using Arctic Alumina, since I did it before anyone responded. I can tell you this much, using a video block from cpufx (can't show pic I think they are finally out of business) with a 172w pelt and the bottom plate from the MCW50-T works 100% better. In fact, it worked so much better I need to improve my sealing method, because shortly after I started it up I was getting artifacts. I know t improved my OC, because I was able to raise my GPU OC by 10mhz with no artifacts. Don't use Shinitzu, it turns into a crispy flacky paste after prolonged use!!!!!!!!

Turbo
07-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Hey Nohto I see you used alumina :thumbsup: Maybe you can do a compaison for us. Let us know what the outcome is.

OPPAINTER
07-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Just got Gabes responce when asking him what he thought the best was for pelts.

"I don't know until I test Ceramique" :D

OPP

zippyc
07-29-2003, 07:54 PM
I knew that swiftec uses AS III on thier peltier assemblies, and because they know how much to use and proper clamping forces I doubt they ever run into any problems with it and pelts.

I was just speculating if there were unseen cracks in the pelt that a conductive paste would screw with any voltage differentials it can bridge, whether that diffenential is found in cracks in the lead coming off a pelt or an actual crack in the face of one. So why risk it?

Sorry if my comments caused any confusion.

To me, Ceramique looks to be the new leader. I'm getting some new monster copper pelt blocks this week, and I plan to use Ceramique. Y'all know the best place to get it cheap?

OPPAINTER
07-29-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by zippyc
I knew that swiftec uses AS III on thier peltier assemblies, and because they know how much to use and proper clamping forces I doubt they ever run into any problems with it and pelts.

Zippy, you'll never guess who showed Swiftech's assembly crew how to apply the AS3 and tighten down the Cold Plate.

Thats right, OPPAINTER :D

I'm not only a client of Swiftech, I also use to work there,,, LOL

OPP

zippyc
07-29-2003, 08:53 PM
I'd say that's probably why they are enjoying success with that process then!

:p:

I just think that unless there is clearly a performance advantage, use of ASIII would not be worth the risk. Especially if it is your first go at pelt cooling.

(Personally one of my pelt. power supplies is big enough to start a car engine, I don't want to give that kind of amperage any excuse to stray).

And with ceramique on the market I'm guessing it's a mute point anyway. As I alluded to I have some sweet bars of gold (well, three huge copper blocks) on the way for my pelt cold loop.... I'll be sorrounding one with 4 or 6 226w pelts, major clamping forces are designed in the setup. I'll know pretty soon how well that c. stuff works!

CCW
07-31-2003, 07:34 AM

Seems like something a company would do to save money, LOL.

Craig