PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Security

22b
07-27-2003, 08:12 AM
I did check FAQ's :(

I just bought a Linksys WR54G Wireless *G* Router and right now I am only using the 1-2-3-4 LAN ports on the back...

I will be setting up a wireless print station and a laptop soon

My Question in a "Nutshell"

How do I mod the Linksys settings so that right now I am not broadcasting and wireless transmission for anybody to steal?

I went to "Advanced Wireless" and selected the 2nd option
Permit only PCs listed below to access the wireless network

Then...Edit MAC Filter List
and did clicked apply.

*Note* When I Edited MAC Filter list, I did not add any MAC addresses...yet.

I also changed the SSID name from Linksys to something less guessable and of course changed my generic "admin" password.

What else can I do to make sure nobody can steal my broadcast bandwidth?

Hoper this all made sense? :confused:

sjohnson
07-27-2003, 09:35 AM
I just spent 15 minutes looking for the link to properly attribute the following. Couldn't find it, so the author and site are unknown but it seems to be some good advice. I *think* the site was broadbandreports.com but my memory is hazy. I just got the link from a friend and copied the text of one of the replies to the thread.

Although Linksys-specific, I spent a little time investigating the related parameters on my D-Link WAP and used this to secure my wireless:

MOST SECURE ROUTER SETTINGS
----------------------------------------
1.) Pick an unique SSID for your router!
2.) Turn the broadcast OFF on your router.
3.) If you are using only a 802.11b, turn it to broadcast only at 11Mbps AND change the channel from 6, and if you are using only a 802.11g turn it to broadcast only at 54Mbps and again change the channel from 6. If you need both, ONLY then turn Mixed mode and the channel is AUTOMATICALLY set to 6.
4.) Turn your WEP encryption on. NOTE: I would recommend setting it to 64Mbit Encryption, b.c 99% of the people who have encryption have that, and if someone finds that you have a 128Mbit encryption they will think there is something worth finding, and I PROMISE YOU, they will take their time and crack your encryption.
5.) Filter MAC addresses. Set to ONLY ALLOW, and select your MAC address.
6.) Record accesses to your router to a log. (I know it sounds like b.s, but IT WILL prove helpfull in the event of an attack...trust me!)

These steps will make it IMPOSSIBLE for someone to hack your wireless lan. WHY impossible? Well first of all, if you are not broadcasting it and it's not the default one, how the heck are they going to find your router? Well you may ask "How am I going to find it?" Very simple: In you Wireless-G Notebook Adaptor program there are Profiles which have your SSID and custom settings, so you click on that, and THEN you connect. It's much easier that way either way. Anyway, by having an encryption, if someone SOMEHOW finds it, they won't be able to get in, and third, even if they guess your location, your SSID, AND your WEP password, you are filtering MAC addresses, so again, THEY ARE SCREWED!

HACKING WIRELESS
(Purpose: For you to know what to protect yourself against)
-----------------------
The Wireless Router runs at 2.4Ghz. The default info is SSID=Linksys, and it's running on Channel 6 without any WEP encryption. Now a good number (I would say about 85% to 90%) of people don't bother to do anything after plugging in their router (Wireless AP) and finding that it works. Well NO crap it works, YOU were the ones who wanted plug and play type...EASY in other words. Anyway, just 'cause it works, it doesn't meant that it's safe. When i walked around my neighbor hood, out of every 20-30 signals, only 3-5 were encrypted. Also, you would be amazed how many people at this point use wireless. Almost every other store has wireless. The BEST place is a complex building with apartments. In that, from one place you can usually get between 4 and 15 connections. Anyway, so let's get to the cool part...hacking! You can use the default Wireless-G Notebook Adapter WLAN Monitor Program that comes with your card drivers! It's great for simply finding connections. Some great programs that can help from there THAT WORK on the Linksys card are: Boingo -> Extremely Strong/Accurate Detection (Windows Only)
Ethereal -> Wireless Packet Sniffer (Windows and Linux)

Some programs that are out there but that work ONLY for linux or are ported for Windows but will NOT work with Linksys b.c they need a Prism 2 chip...OLD thing that Linksys doesn't include are:
Net Stumbler (Windows Only but needs Prism 2)
Air Snort (Linux and a bad port for Windows)
Basically, I am giving you a heads up on which programs to find in the future, but for now, Net Stumbler and Air Snort DO NOT work for linksys.

22b
07-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Man...that is some amazinf info you posted!

Thanks!

sjohnson
07-27-2003, 01:03 PM
Just so you don't get too warm and fuzzy - if you become a target even the permitted MAC address(es) can be eventually sniffed and spoofed.

With Tempest technology, even hard-wired nets and stand-alone PC's can be sniffed, so with some care in setup wireless isn't as insecure as it might seem. A little less secure than hard-wire only because the tech to sniff is cheap and readily available.

Smizack
07-28-2003, 04:17 PM
WEP encryption is most likely all you'll need.