PDA

View Full Version : What can be cooled

DeMoN
11-19-2007, 09:20 AM
This may sound like a stupid question and i know the obvious answers.

But what can be cooled in a pc.

what im after is a list like this:-

CPU <----------1st cooling priority at the top
GFX card
mosfet
North bridge
south bridge
hdd <--------- last cooling priority at the bottom

i dont know if that is the right order but you get the idea.

what about some strange idea's as weel? cooling your PSU and removing its fans? i don't know, what sort of crazy ideas can be done??

also total noob question, lol, what is a mosfet?? i mean i can search google and find out its metal–oxide–semiconductor but when i look inside my pc what the heel is a mosfet then.

Xilikon
11-19-2007, 09:32 AM
You forgot the memory, which should be just above hdd but still far below in the list.

the MOSFET is the power regulators around the CPU socket, which feed power to the CPU. You will see mosfet heatsinks or heatpipe around the CPU socket and that's the MOSFETS you will see.

Kurz
11-19-2007, 09:47 AM
This rises a question...
Whats the safest temperature for Voltage regs on a GFX card?
Just realized my regs hit about 85C

Boogerlad
11-19-2007, 02:14 PM
max temp is about 105 degrees celcius i think. Also, you could build a leak proof case for your powersupply, fill it up with non conductive mineral oil, put in a cheap waterblock and seal it up to have a "liquid cooled Power supply"

[XC]Atomicpineapple
11-19-2007, 02:32 PM
DO NOT TOUCH THE PSU unless you really know what you're doing! Yes its possible to WC a PSU with a non conductive oil but its risky and really not worth the bother.

Also whether or not its worth WCing the chipset depends on what chipset you have, and I'd probably put chipset before mosfets. WCing SB, RAM and HDDs is only to be done if you have money to spare after youve bought everything else