PDA

View Full Version : storm G4 rev1

madmaxx
11-17-2007, 02:39 PM
i know its old tech but is the storm capable of cooling the new cpu's? core2 + quad?

im not asking if its the best simply if it can work. i would assume so.

is there anything that can be done to improve this block for the new cpu's.

what are its drawbacks when used with newer cpu's?

is the base the killer here for the storm?

thnx

Agent11
11-17-2007, 02:57 PM
I think it would be interesting & entertaining to step the bases of all the old guard blocks and compare them to the gtx and fuzion...

Martin?

nikhsub1
11-17-2007, 02:58 PM
The storms design just doesnt work well with an IHS... It will work fine, but won't keep up with newer designs that are purpose built for IHS based CPU's such as the Apogees and the Fuzion. Sure you could improve it's performance if you STEPPED the base.

http://www.anonforums.com/builds/teststation/stormclose.jpg

madmaxx
11-17-2007, 03:20 PM
i knew about the step nikhsub1 thnx for your work on that :up:

would there be any benefit to milling the base as to make it thinner?

whats the difference between the IHS on my 3.0e and say a e/q series cpu?

thnx for the pic as well.

Snyxxx
11-17-2007, 03:52 PM
I still use the Storm Rev 1, and I think it is fine. I am only 2-core though. I would move to a fusion or GTX if I went 4-core. Good enough for me at the moment. All the new blocks feel cheap to me any more. Maybe I am just getting old.

Deux
11-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I use a storm too, it works fine for a dual core but modern blocks will beat it but 8-10c on quads.

Aerou
11-17-2007, 05:06 PM
its not a disaster - Storm gives 5-7 C worse temps on quads than a Fuzion,
dont worry, it will work :) I am using a Storm too on C2D CPUs. Depends on your budget and performance target

Larry
11-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Same here storm on a dual still, not much point spending more money for a few degrees imo