PDA

View Full Version : It's time to FORGET working a Yorkfield on a i680/i780 chipset...

Pages : [1] 2

hipro5
11-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Yes as you read......I think that there are BAD NEWS.... :(
i680 and i780 will NOT support retail Yorkfield as I informed.... :(
I hope they find a solution but I realy doupt about that..... :(

NVIDIA doesn't give licence for the SLI to INTEL, so INTEL is "playing tricks" with them with the new CPUs.... :(

Shintai
11-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Haha, battle of the giants.

Tho I bet the 45nm issue on nVidia is something else. nVidia and chipset quality is not something that can be used in a positive sentense.

n3wbi3
11-14-2007, 03:06 PM

NVIDIA doesn't give licence for the SLI to INTEL, so INTEL is "playing tricks" with them with the new CPUs.... :(

Looks like ati will be the way to go.
Thanks for the info :clap:

PS: love ur work :up:

stealthbomber
11-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Doh, means I'll have to fork out to replace my i650 board...

Hornet331
11-14-2007, 03:07 PM
lol so intel plays the same game as nvidia now?

jimmyz
11-14-2007, 03:08 PM
It will be interesting to see what turns out to be the cause of the incompatibility. could you explain the problems? what kind of issues are there?

Nicksterr
11-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Haha, battle of the giants.

lol, more like giant vs. mouse. It just so happens that nvidia is the dominant force in the graphics industry.

K404
11-14-2007, 03:10 PM

Is that official, or "not-official, but probably true" :)

S1mon-
11-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Lol Nice one by Intel :D I hope nVidia fuys will finally use their brains and let Intel use SLI...

Piotrsama
11-14-2007, 03:12 PM
It will be interesting to see what turns out to be the cause of the incompatibility. could you explain the problems? what kind of issues are there?
Curious as well.... how does Intel prevent theirs CPU to work on a certain chipset?

Hornet331
11-14-2007, 03:14 PM
is this related to this news topic?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165674

Shadowmage
11-14-2007, 03:15 PM
These threads should be combined:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165674

Shintai
Curious as well.... how does Intel prevent theirs CPU to work on a certain chipset?

They dont.

There was a nVidia chipset that couldnt handle quadcores aswell if I dont remember wrongly.

Anyway, I bet nVidia just took the shortroute. Now people also got a reason to upgrade to i790...

Is this tested with the Asus i680 non reference board aswell?

BNDMOD
OMG bad news.... but... mmm meybe i780 support 45nm... it no?
I believe that people is working on 780's bios to support it and have a good performance and a good reading of multi

HousERaT
It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I'm done with Nvidia Motherboards, have been for awhile now and this doesn't help.

Baleful
11-14-2007, 03:16 PM
lol, more like giant vs. mouse. It just so happens that nvidia is the dominant force in the graphics industry.

Not really. Intel's imbedded graphics takes up more of the graphics market than Nvidia. While Nvidia DOES carry the performance crown, and has for quite some time, Intel still has most of the graphics industry. Something like ~60% isn't it? I can't remember the exact number, 60% could be far off, I just remember they have more of the market than Nvidia.

S1mon-
11-14-2007, 03:17 PM
I almost bought a 680i chipset to do 8800GT SLI... Guess I made the good choice going with a X38 :D

weescott
11-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Oh fudgecakes. I just ordered 2 new GFX cards for SLI to pair with my Yorkie!

Shintai
11-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Baleful;2557141']Not really. Intel's imbedded graphics takes up more of the graphics market than Nvidia. While Nvidia DOES carry the performance crown, and has for quite some time, Intel still has most of the graphics industry. Something like ~60% isn't it? I can't remember the exact number, 60% could be far off, I just remember they have more of the market than Nvidia.

Its very roughly 40/30/30 between Intel, nVidia and AMD in the GFX.

v_rr
11-14-2007, 03:20 PM
I wasn´t expecting this :confused:

Hornet331
11-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Its very roughly 40/30/30 between Intel, nVidia and AMD in the GFX.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20071029062106.html

:)

nemrod
11-14-2007, 03:22 PM

They could have not give all the specifications. But as yorkfield has supposed to work with a bunch of old intel chipset:
http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3138
"Elsewhere in the land of Intel chipsets, we have several manufacturers that will offer a combination of Wolfdale and/or Yorkfield compatibility on their 945GC-based motherboards. While this chipset does not specifically support 1333FSB operations, a couple of manufacturers have worked their BIOS magic to provide support. We might even see support on the venerable 975X chipset as ASUS is in the process of validation testing for their workstation boards. Even though the P965 chipset does not officially support the 45nm processor families, we have MSI offering BIOS support for two of their boards. We also expect to see "unofficial" support on the latest performance oriented P965 boards from ASUS and Gigabyte if stability problems when overclocking can be overcome. We will be testing a couple of their boards next week to see how well they work."

I think it's a bit unfair to say it's Intel Fault. :shrug:

But I don't know if hipro is just disappointed or if he has some "real" informations. The word "retail" look like there was something new between es and retail?

stealthbomber
11-14-2007, 03:26 PM
So much for all the supports 45nm CPU claims from the likes of Asus/Gigabyte, they all claimed it would work on i650/i680 boards with a bios update, surely they would have closely examined all the compatibility issues before adding such claims?

Perhaps intel forced board makers to drop adding bios support for the new Intel CPU's, or else suffer the consequence of non delivery of their chipsets?

Zytek_Fan
11-14-2007, 03:28 PM
I think both parties just shot themselves in the foot.

nemrod
11-14-2007, 03:35 PM

If you look at Steam survey:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165628
Multi-GPU Systems (100 of 19219 Total Users (0.52% of Total)

and consider that mean something,
or consider sli support with vista
you see that it's far to be clear that Intel shot in their foot if they don't have sli (intel or nvidia chipset)
:shrug:

Nanometer
11-14-2007, 03:37 PM

It's a pee peeing contest. Tit for tat.:rolleyes:

Metroid
11-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Is there any official announcement? I recall Asus would give a bios update to support Penryn and that was very official. Are you sure about it Hipro5 or it is just a rumor or a misunderstanding? Intel would not screw Asus like this and Asus would not screw its customers after once announced it a month ago.

Metroid.

Zytek_Fan
11-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Hilbert @ Guru3D said he got a beta bios for his 680i so he could do SLI for his QX9650 review...

Charles Wirth
11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Slow your roll guys, the beta bios does exist.

XS Janus
11-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Looks like ati will be the way to go.

??? To go where...
They products are so good lately:rolleyes:
Here's to you daamit, for the brigher future::toast2:

We got no more...

Praz
11-14-2007, 03:47 PM
It's a sad state of affairs for those of us that have 680i boards if this turns out to be deliberate. But, with that said, it would be a wake-up call long overdue nVidia. SLi being restricted to a sub-performing chipset for the only purpose of being able to sell that chipset has been bulls**t since day one.

G.Foyle
11-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Asus would not screw its customers after once announced it a month ago.

Oh yes, they would.

Scimitar
11-14-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm confused. Kingpin showed results 2 weeks ago using a Yorkfield and 680i board with cards in SLI. Scroll down to post #96 here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159081&page=4

Why is this all of a sudden news that it can't be done, when it has already been shown that it works? :confused:

ownage
11-14-2007, 03:50 PM
45nm works on 680i (offcourse), but i dont know how well.
Asus websie is down, but here a copy from what's listed on the asus website.
45nm support:
http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-2946-view-Asus-45nm-compatible-motherboards-list.html
I guess 45nm Yorkie/wolfie isn't officially supported on nVidia chipsets, but you still could run 45nm on ur Nforce if you're mobo brand gives the bios support.
If its stable i dont know :P

mascaras
11-14-2007, 03:52 PM
OMG bad news.... but... mmm meybe i780 support 45nm... it no?

???

It's time to FORGET working a Yorkfield on a i680/i780 chipset...

yorkfield = 45nm

btw: bad news for nvidia if true

regards

JargonGR
11-14-2007, 03:57 PM
So what people I am sure we will find a solution! After all this is xtreme Systemes and why not turn our 680i boards into extreme waste of money!

I really don't mind at all.. if they don't deliver proper solutions I will not pay them. Simple.

hipro5
11-14-2007, 04:02 PM
First off, it's not official.....I'm not either Intel or NVIDIA.... :D

Things ARE compicated.....

PART of bios of i680 is given BY NVIDIA to Motherboard manufactures.....
So they ADD this part with their part and they have a full bios (in simple words)......

Now.....EITHER NVIDIA wants to SELL their new upcoming i790 chipsets and they say that it's Intel's fault of not providing them the full info of the York, OR Intel really doesn't provide full info(data) to them......

BUT.....If it is so, then WHY it works on i790 chipset IF NVIDIA doesn't have the full code from Intel?....

I think that NVIDIA wants to SELL NEW chipsets and in my oppinion that's why...... ;)

EDIT: Do you think that I don't want to work my York with my Striker and SLI?..... :D I'm anxius to do so but..... :(

hipro5
11-14-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm confused. Kingpin showed results 2 weeks ago using a Yorkfield and 680i board with cards in SLI. Scroll down to post #96 here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159081&page=4

Why is this all of a sudden news that it can't be done, when it has already been shown that it works? :confused:

We are talking about RETAIL Yorkfields..... ;)

Praz
11-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Also the DFI is not a normal 680i board.

Periander6
11-14-2007, 04:18 PM

you see that it's far to be clear that Intel shot in their foot if they don't have sli (intel or nvidia chipset)

SLI and xfire are something a lot of people talk about, but very very few actually do. SLI as a marketing gimmick sold many many more 680's then ever actually got used for SLI. It's for that reason that (up until now at least) it has made more sense for Nv to keep SLI on it's own chipsets since Nv has made a lot more money on the extra chipsets sold than it would have made selling more GPUs by allowing SLI on Intel chipsets.

Don't expect that to change until or if multi-GPU set ups become more common, or Intel starts seriously screwing with Nv in retaliation.

Trouffman
11-14-2007, 05:01 PM
EDIT: Do you think that I don't want to work my York with my Striker and SLI?..... :D I'm anxius to do so but..... :(

But with the striker you don't really know if the mobos don't boot due to Not supporting the CPU or just because the mobos refuse to boot... :ROTF: (Troll off)

Considering there are not a lot of difference between 680i and 780i, maybe it'll be possible to get some bios modded for 680i mobos.

Sparky
11-14-2007, 05:10 PM
??? To go where...
They products are so good lately:rolleyes:
Here's to you daamit, for the brigher future::toast2:

We got no more...

Their chipsets are good, and just because ATI isn't on top doesn't mean they aren't worth anything. Especially if you can get a HD3870 while the 8800GT is practically non-existent ;)

computerpro3
11-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Well I'm so :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing sick of :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty 680i boards that Nvidia just shot themselves in the foot with me. Instead of me buying their chipset, they just lost money on not only their motherboard, but another 8800gtx I would have bought too.

Guess I have to stick to single cards for now because I will never buy another one of their chipsets again.

stealthbomber
11-14-2007, 06:33 PM
My next board will certainly not be a nvidia board if this turns out to be true on either Intel or AMD platforms.

SLI really doesn't mean jack for 99% of people.

Pinnacle
11-14-2007, 07:04 PM
So silly, no need for this

Skratch
11-14-2007, 07:16 PM
just for future reference,can someone please send me a beta bios for the striker extreme I spent 350 bucks on this board.If I can't run a new intel I might aswell not buy a new intel chip.There is no reason for me to buy a new board what so ever.

This is soo frustrating

cadaveca
11-14-2007, 07:37 PM

and LONGTERM stability? a bench session is one thing...

...but i thought Intel wanted thier yorkie back from you?:rofl:

Kain665
11-14-2007, 07:39 PM
P35s are good, right. glad i replaced my 650i ;)

Zucker2k
11-14-2007, 07:39 PM
As I said in another thread about this same issue, Intel just needed to remind Nvidia who the real boss is. As an enthusiast, I hate to see it come to this (if indeed this is deliberate on Intel's part; which I believe it is), but Nvidia needs to stop being greedy and show some gratitude to Intel for making Nvidia what it is today. Obviously, I'm on Intel's side on this - as every true enthusiast should. Nvidia gets to taste a little bit of its own medicine.

On another note, we're all to blame for this. I'm scared of how a crazed overclocking-inclined few have driven manufacturers to milk the market like nobody's business. Yes, there are advantages to having people like us push components like no test lab would and have the results to show for it.

But what is scary is when you have overclocking gurus working in partnership with manufacturers and enlightening them about the little bonuses which were always there for the serious overclocker. The result? Manufacturers are now putting components under the microscope, cherry-picking, and re-badging the same components or their slightly modified derivatives for twice the amount. Nowadays, there are extreme versions of processors mostly because they're unlocked, something which could easily enabled on non-extreme cpus without extra cost. There are also "KO" editions of GPUs, etc, etc. This sh*t must stop! I'm done.

VulgarHandle
11-14-2007, 08:26 PM
assuming this is true.....

this is nVidia's fault, amd's fault, intel's fault, and our fault....

AMD aquires ATI, and is able to mass produce better chipsets for their cpu's

Intel has always made the better chipsets for it's cpu's, and AMD knows it will make more money by letting Intel run Xfire on their chipsets than they would by forcing Intel users to use their chipsets. nVidia gambled, and lost, they didn't think Intel would play hardball.

We're to blame for mingling with chipset makers, we should have kept our mingling with the 3rd party mobo manufacturers. We need nVidia/Via/SiS/etc.. to be competitive in the 3rd party chipsets, less we want to pay more for AMD chipsets (can't imagine paying more for Intel chipsets).

Now, what would be funny is if nVidia allows Xfire and AMD allows SLi :rofl:

GAR
11-14-2007, 08:51 PM
all nvidia has to do is take the damn money from intel and let us use SLi on intel chipsets!!!!!!!!!!!

thephenom
11-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I can see this happening with Intel being big boss here, but I would also like to see the anti-trust lawsuit that's going to arise from this. :D NV has been slaughtering Intel's chipset business all of last year with the King of GPU with G80 forcing highend PCs to be G80s + 680i, practically whipping out Intel's chipset business in high-end OEM and SI SKU. If this is really true, then this is the biggest backhand b**ch slap Intel laid down.

SLI, CF, whatever, majority of the people won't buy into it. They buy in SLI and CF chipset for "future" upgrades, but honestly, I don't see too many people buying a 2nd card to complete their multi-GPU.

masterg
11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
ATI and AMD have joined up, Intel is beating AMD and nVidia is crushing ATI. i dont know why they just dont join up and create a larger force to compete with.

my thoughts are they dont want to share the profits of the Geforces 8 and the penryns~

Start
11-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Nvidia:

if(chipset != "Nvidia")
print "Fark Off!";
BSOD();

Intel:

if(chipset == "Nvidia")
print "Fark Off";
BSOD();

Not much differences between the companies after all ;)

The question is who need who more. I'm going to say Nvidia needs retail Yorkfield to work on their boards, more than Intel needs SLI on the X#8 chipset.

metro.cl
11-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Asus answer:

you can boot the system up
you can overclock
but you won't be impressed

b0bd0le
11-15-2007, 12:03 AM
interesting

are there any class actions against nvidia? it seems like everyone complains about how horrid their chipsets are.

also, how hard is it to hack nvidia's drivers?

strange|ife
11-15-2007, 12:05 AM
cant we all just get along! =D

bad news i guess, i loved the nvidia chipsets up until the 680i board i had, terrible. i skipped on 5 series, nforce 4 was the last decent chipsets. I still have a socket A, asus Nf2 that is still chugging along with a mild oc since 2003. Sucker wont die, so much dust in the case, chip idles at 55c lol..still goin

funny thing about 750i, in this months pc gamer(crysis) ibuypower has a 3 page spread with rigs, all of them have 750i boards, and states in the add, fully supports upcoming penryn. badddd

FischOderAal
11-15-2007, 12:35 AM
but Wolfdales will work on 680i and 780i? or does it mean 45 nm in general?

xlink
11-15-2007, 12:42 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

F**K YOU NvIDIA.

SERVES YOU RIGHT YOU MANIPULATIVE MONOPOLIZING C**K SUCKING LITTLE...

this just made me smile.

it also makes me happy that I didn't shell out for an nForce board.
and also makes HP seems smarter.

Sparky
11-15-2007, 03:41 AM
I don't have a problem with nvidia doing this at all....

Showing intel that they aren't king over all is probably a good thing for them, a little reminder that they can't do anything they want whenever they want ;) Shows too, because intel is getting all fussy about it. I think nvidia is smart not to take the payoff, knowing how intel has worked in the past, well, there is probably some fine print somewhere that would try and lock nvidia into some crazy exclusive deal or hurt them long-term or something....

BeardyMan
11-15-2007, 03:44 AM
The third dog is the overall winner in this situation, mark my works.

Shintai
11-15-2007, 03:46 AM
Uhm...why are everyone talking Intel vs nVidia? Is this dumb and dumber thread?

This is a plain simple issue that its all nVidias fault. They either :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed up with too much SLI/Enhanced stuff that messed up something. Or nVidia simply just hopes to go for a supersale on i780/i790.

Else its simply a matter of no good retail BIOS with yorkfield support yet.

camouflage
11-15-2007, 03:54 AM
:D Haha - God bless X38.............;)

knightwolf654
11-15-2007, 04:20 AM
if this was on purpose, hopefully Nvidia will pull back from SLI support on intels chipsets. other wise there going to lose some money.
but then again good news for ATi

Levish
11-15-2007, 06:39 AM
very dissapointing

varrius
11-15-2007, 06:59 AM
LOL. LOL. LOL. LOL. LOL.

Nice assuming, if this was the case, Intel wouldn't have allowed them to use the QX6850, either. I just got my QX9650, running BFG 680i, it works. LOL.

Screen shots will be posted as well as pics of the CPU.

NH|Delph1
11-15-2007, 07:36 AM
780i delayed and barely working with Yorkie. Not really surprised . ;)

//Andreas

Crazypinoy9
11-15-2007, 08:26 AM
I can tell you right now that every partner using the reference 680i and 780i has
the bios that supports yorkfield....BUT! you can't overclock it. When you even try to up the FSB by 1 to 334 you'll get a nice dash dash after the reboot. THis is why the 780i was delayed.

The 780i is crap! LOL! it was funny cuz the first samples that nvidia gave had out defective middle PCI-E slots and when we tried to run 3-way SLI it worked for a couple runs in 3Dmark and then POOF! the slot died and no video. LOL! it's fixed now but I thought i'd share that story.

iadstudio
11-15-2007, 09:03 AM
LOL. LOL. LOL. LOL. LOL.

Nice assuming, if this was the case, Intel wouldn't have allowed them to use the QX6850, either. I just got my QX9650, running BFG 680i, it works. LOL.

Screen shots will be posted as well as pics of the CPU.

Well, lets see this thing overclocked. Good to hear it's moving in the right direction. (reminds me of unnamed chipset with conroe and Kensfield dupport) I assume it'll be working by the launch of the rest of the cpu's.

OBR
11-15-2007, 09:04 AM
This is bull:banana::banana::banana::banana: ...

rob[GL]
11-15-2007, 09:05 AM
yay
i'll be happy with my intel board

varrius
11-15-2007, 09:43 AM
I can tell you right now that every partner using the reference 680i and 780i has
the bios that supports yorkfield....BUT! you can't overclock it. When you even try to up the FSB by 1 to 334 you'll get a nice dash dash after the reboot. THis is why the 780i was delayed.

The 780i is crap! LOL! it was funny cuz the first samples that nvidia gave had out defective middle PCI-E slots and when we tried to run 3-way SLI it worked for a couple runs in 3Dmark and then POOF! the slot died and no video. LOL! it's fixed now but I thought i'd share that story.

Mine overclocks =) I didn't raise the FSB, though, that's what unlocked multiplier is for. You don't have one, that's why you're upset. It runs, it works, it also works while I have SLi. =) Beat that X38 boards. IF YOU CAN GET A LICENSE. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Also, it would be illegal for intel to keep information undisclosed based on the contract agreement of the LGA775 use on the Nvidia boards. When a chipset is made to be used on a motherboard, a license and agreement are written, the agreement must contain information guaranteeing support for all CPUs of that socket type. Otherwise, NVIDIA will sue the pants off of intel for breach of contract. Nvidia would also counter and make all of the nvidia cards disabled on an intel chipset when they are loaded in, it would not allow the board to detect it. That would destroy the gaming market for intel.

Praz
11-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Mine overclocks =) I didn't raise the FSB, though, that's what unlocked multiplier is for
If that's your idea of performance overclocking you should be happy with the combination.

When a chipset is made to be used on a motherboard, a license and agreement are written, the agreement must contain information guaranteeing support for all CPUs of that socket type.
So what's nVidia gonna do? Sue themselves? They made the chipset. And if you read what HP stated there are certain configurations where the combination appears to be stable.

varrius
11-15-2007, 10:11 AM
If that's your idea of performance overclocking you should be happy with the combination.

So what's nVidia gonna do? Sue themselves? They made the chipset. And if you read what HP stated there are certain configurations where the combination appears to be stable.

I bet you the FSB will raise just as well. At any rate, when the G0 stepping Core2Duos released, they were not highly overclockable on the 680i's, a P31 BIOS update solved this problem. The processor released TWO days ago, it's POSTING, EVGA is even released beta BIOSs FOR it via e-mail, should you request it. They will release an update, it will increase its overclockability, everything in computing has problems when it launches, it's not PERFECT. MMORPGs, Chipsets, GPUs, everything. The processor uses the SAME architecture at a smaller-than-before 45nm. What would make it SO hard to operate? You guys make it like we're trying to force a socket 771 processor to post. Nice try, this is the SAME thing that happens when ANY new processor comes out. Just like when Core2Duo first released, just like when the Quads FIRST debuted, there is no conspiracy, its going to work flawlessly, just like every other 775 chip with some "conspiracy". Also, if you guys would stop reading reviews of crap on the "inquirer", you'd know a thing about what is going on. Firstly, an NVIDIA rep confirmed that "tri-SLi" is not even in the works and was considered a fake. The pictures of it, there being few, were doctored. The point of the additional PCI-E 16x slot is to utilize newer sound cards, newer physx cards, etc. Nvidia confirmed if they EVER use more than two cards, it'll be in the form of a GX2 model, like the 7950GX2, which would only use two PCI-e slots. Lastly, the damn processor just came out, why do I want to SUPER_GOD_OVERCLOCK it? I want to burn it in, let it break-in, then, by the time I do any serious overclocking, there will be a further BIOS update. CONSPIRACY OOOOO. Conspiracys DO NOT supercede Federal Law.

varrius
11-15-2007, 10:15 AM

Nvidia DID NOT make the QX9650, they would sue intel for denying contracted information.

Praz
11-15-2007, 10:21 AM
let it break-in, then, by the time I do any serious overclocking, there will be a further BIOS update.
Break-in. So the Penryns are to be treated like a new pair of shoes?

nemrod
11-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Nvidia DID NOT make the QX9650, they would sue intel for denying contracted information.

Proof they have not disclose information? Without proof, it would be very difficult to show that for one time, crappy chipset are not due to nvidia :D

Micutzu
11-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Qx9650 is working just fine with EVGA 680i SLI and BIOS P31, wich is out for some time now. The only problem is that with EIST deactivated you can't set multi, it will stay locked at 6X; new BIOS will probably fix this also.

RealTelstar
11-15-2007, 11:45 AM
I think nVidia got what they deserved.

varrius
11-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Break-in. So the Penryns are to be treated like a new pair of shoes?

" I want to burn it in, let it break-in, then, by the time I do any serious overclocking, there will be a further BIOS update. CONSPIRACY OOOOO. Conspiracys DO NOT supercede Federal Law."

Notice how I said BURN in before that, then, to make somewhat of an attack, you CUT it off like a communist? Any overclocker knows how to "burn-in" a cpu, especially if it cost $1300.

Praz
11-15-2007, 01:25 PM
varrius
Lets see if Admin agrees with your posts.

DilTech
11-15-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure about the admins, but this moderator DEFINITELY doesn't agree with his post Praz.

People, there's NO need for that kind of an attitude towards anyone, especially towards someone who's help this very community/forum as hipro.

Movieman
11-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Gentleman:
Let's always try to remember that this is a public forum where we all are guests.
Let's try to behave as we would as a guest in some one else's home.

DilTech
11-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Gentleman:
Let's always try to remember that this is a public forum where we all are guests.
Let's try to behave as we would as a guest in some one else's home.

Agreed, as long as they don't behave like Rick James as a guest in eddy/charlie murphy's home.

Keep your feet of the couch guys. :rofl:

Praz
11-15-2007, 01:37 PM
DilTech, your fast. Thanks for removing the quote from my post also.

DilTech
11-15-2007, 01:39 PM
DilTech, your fast. Thanks for removing the quote from my post also.

No problem. I don't play these types of games with people. It's one thing to disagree, I disagree half the time with people, but there's no reason to outburst how he did. :yepp:

Either way, lets get back on topic guys. :up:

Movieman
11-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Just my thoughts:
I've been here 2 years. One of the great assets of this forum is Hipro.
He brings info to us in easy to understand plain english. Ok, so with a Greek accent!:rofl:
My point is that he is a great teacher and I think many miss this.
He tells you what he sees whether it's good or bad.
He isn't just some guy that comes and says "Hey I broke all the world records" but will take the time to show you how it is done.
You just got to respect a guy like that and if you disagree with something he says, voice it as a polite question.
He is truly one of the people here that is worthy of respect from all of us

iadstudio
11-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Just my thoughts:
I've been here 2 years. One of the great assets of this forum is Hipro.
He brings info to us in easy to understand plain english. Ok, so with a Greek accent!:rofl:
My point is that he is a great teacher and I think many miss this.
He tells you what he sees whether it's good or bad.
He isn't just some guy that comes and says "Hey I broke all the world records" but will take the time to show you how it is done.
You just got to respect a guy like that and if you disagree with something he says, voice it as a polite question.
He is truly one of the people here that is worthy of respect from all of us

Point is, his statements are being refuted in this very thread! The chip does work on the 680ichipset and I won't be surprised when OCing works!

Movieman
11-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Point is, his statements are being refuted in this very thread! The chip does work on the 680ichipset and I won't be surprised when OCing works!

ok, then you come out with a little tact and do it like this:
Hey George? I have xxx chipset and I got xxx cpu to work in it and here's a SS of it. Maybe I have a different revision than you do?

There are many ways to do things.
Like dear old Dad once said to me after I told a teacher to FO:
"There's a million ways to say it and only one involves using the words."

Tact and courtesy go a long way in this world.;)

DilTech
11-15-2007, 02:07 PM

Then the guy could've just merely stated that he got it to work in a nice manner. He didn't need to explode at hipro as he did.

Anyway, enough about it. Back to the topic guys. :up:

Praz
11-15-2007, 02:47 PM
I don't believe it's an issue if the combination will work here or there. But can all users reasonably expect the chipset/processor to function in a manner and at the performance levels we run these boards at. Even HP has stated there are certain configurations where this combination appears too have no stability issues.

ownage
11-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Intel is probably pissed at nVidia. Who was that crazy CEO guy from nVidia who said they would pwn Intel on the GPU market but also on the CPU market within a few years :ROTF:
Still i dont believe this won't be a problem in the future. You're talking about an unfinished product, and when it gets released they can run 45nm stable. There will be always nutcases buying these boards. :shrug:

dinos22
11-15-2007, 03:10 PM
lol hipro :banana::banana::banana::banana: stirring hahahaha

i got some photos which i can't post unfortunately but i don't think it's all doom and gloom....gotta go through them all tonight just to double check it all....there is certainly one chipset i remember running a gaming rig with the Yorks :)...just gotta look at the other photos heh :D

dinos22
11-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Qx9650 is working just fine with EVGA 680i SLI and BIOS P31, wich is out for some time now. The only problem is that with EIST deactivated you can't set multi, it will stay locked at 6X; new BIOS will probably fix this also.

i've been slack i gotta slap my yorkfield after i flash to latest XFX 680i bios
they should all share the reference bioses :) heh

iadstudio
11-15-2007, 04:15 PM
ok, then you come out with a little tact and do it like this:
Hey George? I have xxx chipset and I got xxx cpu to work in it and here's a SS of it. Maybe I have a different revision than you do?

There are many ways to do things.
Like dear old Dad once said to me after I told a teacher to FO:
"There's a million ways to say it and only one involves using the words."

Tact and courtesy go a long way in this world.;)
Agreed, but "It's time to FORGET working a Yorkfield on a i680/i780 chipset" is hardly a harmless statement. Tact indeed.

Either way, it looks like support for the Yorkfield on 680i boards is already starting to surface. To tell the truth, I'll be happy with a Q6600 when prices drop, but I can't imagine nVidia letting Yorkfield go unaddresses or Intel stopping them from fixing the issue. To suggest otherwise is silly, IMO.

iadstudio
11-15-2007, 04:22 PM
The situation with the NVIDIA designed chipsets for the Intel market is a little different. The 680i SLI, 680i LT SLI, GeForce 7150, and GeForce 7100 chipsets officially support Wolfdale and Yorkfield. The 650i SLI and GeForce 7050 chipsets will support these processors, but it seems as if that will be a supplier to supplier decision at this time. Of note, we have several 680i SLI motherboards that are currently undergoing qualification testing at this time, not for lack of chipset support, but for board designs. The reference board A1/T1 designs from EVGA will only require a BIOS update to work as an example, while motherboards from Gigabyte, ECS, abit, Biostar, and Foxconn are questionable at this point. We will have an update on these particular motherboards shortly; in the meantime, it appears the revised 680i boards from NVIDIA's launch partners along with boards from ASUS, MSI, and DFI should be fine with nothing more than a BIOS update.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3138

Sorry XS, until I hear otherwise I gotta trust anand.

mdzcpa
11-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Okay...enough of this speculation. I'm sitting on my shiny new QX9650 right now. I'll be popping this bad boy under the waterblock on my evga 680i in an hour. I'm running a full tilt rig with SLI and all the amenities. We'll see where we go....

I'll be back.........

Movieman
11-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Agreed, but "It's time to FORGET working a Yorkfield on a i680/i780 chipset" is hardly a harmless statement. Tact indeed.

Either way, it looks like support for the Yorkfield on 680i boards is already starting to surface. To tell the truth, I'll be happy with a Q6600 when prices drop, but I can't imagine nVidia letting Yorkfield go unaddresses or Intel stopping them from fixing the issue. To suggest otherwise is silly, IMO.

But my friend it is a totally honest statement if that is what you had seen in testing.
If later a different bios or revision makes it possible that then becomes added info.
It doesn't change the tone one uses to someone who works hard to bring us the info in the first place.
That should hold for George or anyone else.
Good manners are always in style to anyone.
The old line of: "It's not what you say but how you say it holds true here."
For example, had I found info contrary to what George had posted I would have PM'd him this info out of respect.
Let him then examine it and make his own conclusions.

Gautam
11-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Okay...enough of this speculation. I'm sitting on my shiny new QX9650 right now.

ES or retail?

Wiggy McShades
11-15-2007, 05:17 PM

hes had 45nm processors way before everyone and is an Electrical engineer so i would guess he knows allot more about this issue than most and i doubt he would say that without having some basis to back it up. Also you have to take into account English is not his first language so he may not mean to make a statement heated.

dinos22
11-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Okay...enough of this speculation. I'm sitting on my shiny new QX9650 right now. I'll be popping this bad boy under the waterblock on my evga 680i in an hour. I'm running a full tilt rig with SLI and all the amenities. We'll see where we go....

I'll be back.........

ahhhh always first out of the blocks :D

mdzcpa
11-15-2007, 05:18 PM
ES or retail?

Retail OEM.

mdzcpa
11-15-2007, 06:03 PM
First results..........not good :(

evga 680i A1 with P31 BIOS
OEM QX9650

System posts. Chip IDs in BIOS fine. FSB and Multiplier report wrong.
System immediately BSODs loading windows at BIOS defaults.
Manually adjust EIST and voltages do not help.

Disabling core 3 & 4 allows Windows XP to load. That's how I'm posting now.

Still trying more options....

iadstudio
11-15-2007, 06:17 PM
First results..........not good :(

OEM QX9650

System posts. Chip IDs in BIOS fine. FSB and Multiplier report wrong.
System immediately BSODs loading windows at BIOS defaults.
Manually adjust EIST and voltages do not help.

Disabling core 3 & 4 allows Windows XP to load. That's how I'm posting now.

Still trying more options....

hmmm. not what I wanted to hear. did you try to disable EIST?

As for all the stir this topic created. It has to be expected, no matter how it was stated, the topic itself was sure to get quite a few people riled up. That a good thing I guess, since it is XTREMEsystems. ;) That's not to say I don't think people have problems with their "inflection" when they reply to sensitive topics. I'll expect this topic to continue to cause problems until the issue is resolved all together.

stealthbomber
11-15-2007, 06:27 PM
The negative responses is towards nvidia and their boards partners, who still claim up coming bios support for multicore 45nm processors on their i680/i650 boards and have done for many months now.

If they can't get a yorkfield to run on these boards (when clearly they had months to carefully experiment with this) then this would certainly be my last nvidia based motherboard!

mdzcpa
11-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Ahhhhh...that's better!

But it's not what you think ;)

My QX6850 is again nestled under my block and I'm ready to continue on playing Crysis and COD4 :)

Nvidia has some SERIOUS work to do. Its far more than getting the multipliers working. 4 cores never made it into Windows. 3 cores could get there, but crash soon after. 2 cores was stable under load...as was 1 core.

Below is the best I can do....just 2 cores:

EIST enabled or not didn't help.....just as ineffective as the other CPU related BIOS settings. I tried em all.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but I'll dump this QX9650 before I dump my 2 gfx cards and a mobo. I hope Nvidia works this out...but I'm guessing the best they will come up with is some margin of improved stability. I'm thinking they'll never really get it humming for nice overclocks. Maybe I'm wrong though...I hope.

Anywho...keep an eye on the For Sale section if Nvidia can't come up with a good fix;)

Jodiuh
11-15-2007, 07:06 PM
W/ Crysis out and lots of us jonesin' for Very High RIGHT NOW...SLI's the only place to be. :(

T_M
11-15-2007, 07:12 PM
i've been slack i gotta slap my yorkfield after i flash to latest XFX 680i bios
they should all share the reference bioses :) heh

Dino, while im keen to see your results, i dont think it'll serve this threads purpose because your current chip is an ES

dinos22
11-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Dino, while im keen to see your results, i dont think it'll serve this threads purpose because your current chip is an ES

hmm ok so would it make any difference???

T_M
11-15-2007, 07:15 PM
yes, the thread is about the fact that retail QX9650 wont work (or currently doesnt anyway ;))

Gautam
11-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Retail OEM.

Sorry about your troubles. :(

There is a difference between how the retails and ESes are handled. (In fact, some of the latest ESes act like retails AFAIK) ESes should be stuck at 6x, the cause is something beyond EIST.

tombman
11-15-2007, 07:44 PM
OEM QX9650

What board revision you got? C00 or D00?
(it is written on the board itself)

Skratch
11-15-2007, 09:12 PM
I actually thought about this guys,at first I was really upset because I had a asus striker and paid alot for it.After thinking about it its not Nvidea's or intels fault.The new intel chips are made to run at 1333fsb and even on the intel's docs they do not state they will work on the older chipsets.

Now nividea can be holding the bios back since they want to sell new chipsets or they are just horrible unstable with the current chipset.

I think it will come down to the mother board maker to put out a bios that actually works.

Intel would shoot themselves if they said these will run on the 680 because all makers would build pcs with them.From what I have seen they aint stable.

How bad would intel look if the masses bought 4gig quad core 680 rigs and none of them were stable.INtel never stated that 680 is supported,we are just lucky it boots up.

Movieman
11-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Will these run in a Asus P5K Premium?

T_M
11-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Without having actually tested it, i would say yes - but ensure you've the latest BIOS

dinos22
11-15-2007, 09:42 PM

There is a difference between how the retails and ESes are handled. (In fact, some of the latest ESes act like retails AFAIK) ESes should be stuck at 6x, the cause is something beyond EIST.

how do you know this
are you testing them
just interesting info and haven't seen anyone report on it

Movieman
11-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Without having actually tested it, i would say yes - but ensure you've the latest BIOS

Thank you...

Hey Mike??:D Oh Mike?:wave:

GoldenTiger
11-15-2007, 09:46 PM
I almost bought a 680i chipset to do 8800GT SLI... Guess I made the good choice going with a X38 :D

ACK! I just DID do that exact thing :mad: !

OBR
11-15-2007, 11:30 PM
My QX9650 is working on Striker too, but i can use only multi 6x, nothing more ... but no bsod, no crashes, everything is normal ...but lower frequency ...

Don_Dan
11-16-2007, 05:52 AM
My QX9650 is working on Striker too, but i can use only multi 6x, nothing more ... but no bsod, no crashes, everything is normal ...but lower frequency ...

Is it an ES or retail?

Gunslinger
11-16-2007, 11:09 AM
My QX9650 won't post at all, so I emailed EVGA about a beta bios:

Thank you for contacting the EVGA Customer Service Team.
My name is Christian Burns and I will be answering your question today. Please do not reply to this email, submit any follow up questions here
Question (11/14/2007 12:54:23 PM): I have a retail QX9650, if you have a beta bios to run this CPU, I would be willing to try it, and provide feedback. I am currently running P31, and it will not post with this CPU, I get "--" on the LED panel.
Answered By Christian B (11/15/2007 3:21:19 PM): Mike, For the moment, any 45nm CPU's are not compatible with the 680i SLI motherboard. Once we find if this is a simple BIOS update then we will post it on our forums and download drivers page. EVGA Tech Support

iadstudio
11-16-2007, 11:35 AM
My QX9650 won't post at all, so I emailed EVGA about a beta bios:

Thank you for contacting the EVGA Customer Service Team.
My name is Christian Burns and I will be answering your question today. Please do not reply to this email, submit any follow up questions here
Question (11/14/2007 12:54:23 PM): I have a retail QX9650, if you have a beta bios to run this CPU, I would be willing to try it, and provide feedback. I am currently running P31, and it will not post with this CPU, I get "--" on the LED panel.
Answered By Christian B (11/15/2007 3:21:19 PM): Mike, For the moment, any 45nm CPU's are not compatible with the 680i SLI motherboard. Once we find if this is a simple BIOS update then we will post it on our forums and download drivers page. EVGA Tech Support

Ha. In other words, "F-U. We know it doesn't work and I'm sure you'll find out if we fix it. You're on your own, sucka'."

Well, someone screwed up. I almost ordered a new board, but I'm not sure what I want to do with my GPU situation yet. This sucks!

Pillo-kun
11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
A lot of people writes that this is intels way of responding to nvidia for not letting intel getting the sli license on intel chipset. And a lot of them are saying that this right thing for intel to do, what? Sli is nvidias thing,gimick or what ever. If they license it to intel what will they have left then? I really hope that this is just an error of some kind, that intel/nvidia has not forsawn(sp) and that they are working on a resolution. Cus if intel plays crooks again like in the past then they are just a piece of trash-company. (I say, if) if intel wants sli then i guess that intel has to produce cpus with a nvida logo so that it will be all and well... hehe

Kampfzerstorer
11-16-2007, 12:21 PM
I dunno what voodoo you guys are working to get these things posting. I sure as hell can't get it (qx9650) to post on my dfi 680i LT.

Praz
11-16-2007, 12:37 PM
It will be interesting to see how this pans out now that there is manufacturer confirmation that the issue exists. And with that confirmation it's time that a couple of people give Hipro the respect he deserves and apologize.

tombman
11-16-2007, 04:20 PM
FYI, i just called EVGA germany and they told me they KNOW that there are problems with Yorkfield and 680i mobos. P31 is NOT the bios that will solve all the problems, a NEW bios will come out beginning of december that will solve all problems.

So don't psyche, nvidia will not let you in the cold ;)

iadstudio
11-16-2007, 04:31 PM
It will be interesting to see how this pans out now that there is manufacturer confirmation that the issue exists. And with that confirmation it's time that a couple of people give Hipro the respect he deserves and apologize.

there is no lack of respect for Hipro and I'm sure he knows that. It was just a little fatalistic to say it the way he did. I'm sure he's seen worse than this thread. I will say though, his title did catch my attention and I knew right away I needed to keep an eye on this thread.

I still don't believe it's an Intel/nVidia feude. Just par for the course when it comes to nVidia.

dinos22
11-16-2007, 04:40 PM
I dunno what voodoo you guys are working to get these things posting. I sure as hell can't get it (qx9650) to post on my dfi 680i LT.

they are all working on the bios including DFI ;) but it will take time unfortunately so that's the bottom line

Rattle
11-16-2007, 04:42 PM

that survey is flawed it doesnt detect i have sli, i wonder how many others it didnt see.

froste
11-17-2007, 08:50 PM

WR already broken in 01 with a Yorkfield QX9650 and "next generation" NVIDIA SLI platform ;) On DRY ICE!

More coming soon I guarantee...

iadstudio
11-17-2007, 08:54 PM
o noes! it looks like it's bad news for nVidia! :ROTF:

I knew it was just a matter of time.

S1mon-
11-17-2007, 09:36 PM
WR already broken in 01 with a Yorkfield QX9650 and "next generation" NVIDIA SLI platform ;) On DRY ICE!

Is it from the eVGA event?

froste
11-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Is it from the eVGA event?

Yes, at Geforce LAN 4 EVGA booth.

CPU was running at almost 5.3 (dICE) :yepp:

Omastar
11-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah, doesn't make sense for nVidia's 780i to not support Yorkfield. I have great reservations that Intel would cook this up just to get back at nVidia and completely alienate a subset of its customers.

680i may be different, but it claims on eVGA's site that the 680i boards WILL support 45nm CPUs with a BIOS update, but obviously the BIOS update to ACTUALLY support the CPUs is forthcoming, not here.

Gautam
11-17-2007, 10:48 PM

Vince ownz. Brand new board, just dry ice, and all it takes is part of a weekend for 01 (and I'm assuming 06 is coming up soon) to get flatlined. :woot:

dinos22
11-18-2007, 12:40 AM
that board looks very familiar :D

sooooo did anyone see how he ran his '01 order :D :ROTF:

hipro5
11-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Fellas.....Take in consideration that I'm not Intel or NVIDIA as I wrote you.....
They do what they have to do and I don't care.....

I only report what I have seen till now and what I was told by ppl working IN the "industry"....

IF NVIDIA solves the problem with the York and the i680 chipset (for example), I - firstly - will be more than happy..... ;)

IF they don't, I have to buy a new SLI mobo to bench..... :(

Maybe they want to "play it" as Intel does.......Making NEWER chipset so to support the new York and we will buy it for playing SLI.....by telling everybody that i680 will not support it coz bla, bla, bla......

It's all about money as my friend Gorillakos says.... ;)

EDIT: Hmmm I see Vince is benching...... :D

saaya
11-18-2007, 01:59 AM
go vince go :D
too bad they didnt spill some black paint on that board, the green looks kinda weird with everything else black :D

Fr3ak
11-18-2007, 02:09 AM

When we tested the EVGA 680i last weekend with a beta BIOS directly from a EVGA engineer, the QX9650 was detected with a multi of 6. With speedstep enabled, CPU-Z displayed the multi that wsa set in BIOS and I can assure you the CPU was running at the right speed :)

But that was a ES CPU and not a retail one.

OBR
11-18-2007, 02:17 AM
Fr3eak - the same situation is on Striker, but i said it before - this is BS, nForce680+780 fully support Yorkies ... but we have here some inter-company battle i suppose ...
Intel want to selll many X38(crappy X48) mobos, not even CPUs ...

Sadhiq
11-18-2007, 04:04 AM
Quite a nice move for Ati that Intel just made :clap:

flopper
11-18-2007, 04:13 AM
Did someone in Nvidia piss an Intel guy off?
;)

Planet
11-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Looks good cant wait to see more pics and screenshots

Charles Wirth
11-19-2007, 03:21 AM
I had a chance to speak with one of the Nvidia engineers this weekend and I was told exactly what the problem is with 680i problem running Yorkfield, I will ask for an official written response, plausible and understandable.

One would assume they are dedicating all resources to to get the 780i out by Christmas but there is an obvious problem with early operation on 680i.

linflas
11-19-2007, 03:31 AM
I had a chance to speak with one of the Nvidia engineers this weekend and I was told exactly what the problem is with 680i problem running Yorkfield, I will ask for an official written response, plausible and understandable.

One would assume they are dedicating all resources to to get the 780i out by Christmas but there is an obvious problem with early operation on 680i.

hmm, so is nvidia going to give us all new boards, and asus and the like, cause I ahve 2 boards that say 45nm ready

Kayin
11-19-2007, 03:32 AM
I'll take a second board. Even though this one so far is fine... I did want Q9450...

BeardyMan
11-19-2007, 08:05 AM
according to my sig it's time to forget Yorkfield :D

Yoxxy
11-19-2007, 08:10 AM
according to my sig it's time to forget Yorkfield :D

The overall 3DMark06 scores show the Phenom is more positive light than they should because of the different graphics cards at work on the two testing setups -- remember the Phenoms were running dual Radeon HD 3850 cards while the Intel Core 2 and AMD Athlon CPUs were running a single 8800 GTX card. The CPU tests aren't affected though and once again the Phenoms split the pack of existing dual- and quad-core CPUs.

Skratch
11-19-2007, 09:39 AM
If I need a new board,Im not buying an nvidia chepset any more.My intel 975x dfi board did circles around my asus striker extreme.It also had cheap heats sinks on it and if it had the stuff the striker has it would of embassed it even more.

I'm sticking with intel chipsets from now on and from everything I have seen,they are way more stable than any others.

read this nvidida you can take your 370-410 fsb hole chipset and stick it up your ass,I can't believe Ipaid 350 for this board,thats almost enought to get a am2 board,chipand some ram from the other side.

OBR
11-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Yeah, if nvidia lies to me about 45nm support, i f*ck for SLI and will buy X38+ only One GFX ... nvidia no more ...

ediflorianus
11-20-2007, 06:51 AM
relax.... Asus P5N32-E-SLi has official 45nm CPU support on theyr website
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=397&l4=0&model=1459&modelmenu=1

stealthbomber
11-20-2007, 07:12 AM
That means very little ATM until we see a bios that is verified fully working with retails Yorkfield chips, even my Asus P5N-E SLI board supports 'IntelŽ next generation 45nm Multi-core CPU' ;)

Not a single P5N***** i680/i650 board on the list yet:

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

froste
11-20-2007, 10:14 AM
FYI:

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=167016&mpage=1&key=&#167016

OBR
11-20-2007, 10:16 AM
if my nF680 will not support Yorkfields i will send it back to Asus with BIG BANG!

S1mon-
11-20-2007, 10:19 AM
if my nF680 will not support Yorkfields i will send it back to Asus with BIG BANG!

I doubt 680i will support Yorkfield at this point :(

stealthbomber
11-20-2007, 10:54 AM
My last nVidia board. Intel/AMD boards or nothing from now on...

Pinacolada
11-20-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm on 650i and it would better support Yorkfield if not good bye Nvidia,I will never buy nvidia chipset again they are too hot anyway.

froste
11-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Considering the nForce 680i was released in Novemeber of 06 and it supports at least 45nm dual cores (Wolfsdale) is pretty good I think. The first Intel platform to officially support any 45nm CPU's is P35 which was released in June 07, 6 months after the 680i.

stealthbomber
11-20-2007, 11:30 AM
It's far from good enough, the Intel chipsets are always superior in performance and more stable than the nVidia versions.

Intel chipset revisions sometimes yield significant performance gains, sometimes not but the nVidia boards are merely just rehashes of their old nforce5 chipset.

The only good chipset nVidia has released (relative to the competition) is the nforce 2 board, the rest have been pretty dire, only cheaper prices and lack of decent AMD boards has kept them going...

froste
11-20-2007, 11:46 AM
It's far from good enough, the Intel chipsets are always superior in performance and more stable than the nVidia versions.

Intel chipset revisions sometimes yield significant performance gains, sometimes not but the nVidia boards are merely just rehashes of their old nforce5 chipset.

The only good chipset nVidia has released (relative to the competition) is the nforce 2 board, the rest have been pretty dire, only cheaper prices and lack of decent AMD boards has kept them going...

Intel chipsets usually scale higher on FSB and run cooler, no denying that. But they have a clear advantage as they also design the CPU. The NVIDIA SB on recent 680i is from nForce 5 series but the NB was redesigned. On the nForce 2 note, ahhhh, I miss my NF7-S 2.0 with my Barton mobile!!!! Bring back soundstorm!

tiborrr
11-22-2007, 04:30 PM
I am unfortunate to say that hipro5 is right. I have a QX9650 ES L734A in a eVGA 680i SLI board, the damn thing boots at 87x9 ~ 0.5GHz, freezes right after setting any FSB, two of the cores arent even booting up. Will try the P31 BIOS. If anyone has some beta BIOS that is compatible for York please PM me or post it here.

Damn nVidia :(

dinos22
11-22-2007, 04:34 PM
lol would you feel :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty if your P35 board couldn't boot with it
cause there are some that still don't due to lack of bios support
try DFI P35 for example (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2571796&postcount=29)

it will just take time
what's the big deal :shrug:

tiborrr
11-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Lame :( It was all excited tonight, mounted the CPU into socket and then this. Tommorrow some appropriate cascade cooled P5K benches for sure!

P.S.: Same result with P31 BIOS. Err, not really, now it boots at 93x6MHz! :D

dinos22
11-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Lame :( It was all excited tonight, mounted the CPU into socket and then this. Tommorrow some appropriate cascade cooled P5K benches for sure!

P.S.: Same result with P31 BIOS. Err, not really, now it boots at 93x6MHz! :D

hahahahah :ROTF:

T_M
11-22-2007, 07:41 PM
tiborrr, what do you mean by Hipro was right?
Hipro said retail, not ES

Praz
11-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Basically a done deal since EVGA has publicly stated there would be no support for Yorkfields on the 680i platform.

dinos22
11-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Basically a done deal since EVGA has publicly stated there would be no support for Yorkfields on the 680i platform.

EEK link

Praz
11-22-2007, 08:17 PM
EEK link
http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=167016&mpage=1&key=%F0%A8%B1%A8

First post. Most after that are people wanting new boards.

dinos22
11-22-2007, 08:31 PM
oh well at least 780i will work with it

funny that dual cores will be supported :rolleyes:

Praz
11-22-2007, 08:54 PM
oh well at least 780i will work with it

funny that dual cores will be supported :rolleyes:
It does seem odd. The following are more posts from EVGA in that thread. About the only thing hardware related that's left is the power plane. Kinda unclear now if Intel is screwing with nVidia, nVidia just plain messed up or nVidia is screwing with their customers.

Unfortunately, this is the official word. There will not be official support for the QX9650 CPU on the 680i platform, anything you heard prior to this announcement is not correct. There will still be an update in December for Wolfdale CPU's however.

We can tell you it is a hardware limitation on the 680i board. With the release of a new CPU sometimes it is not just a simple die shrink, even if the CPU draws less power there could be other specs and requirements.

I can tell you it is not a chipset, socket, or FSB issue.

hipro5
11-22-2007, 11:02 PM
It's just LAME :( (btw is this the exact word? :D learning English day by day :) )...

fhpchris
11-22-2007, 11:24 PM
It's just LAME :( (btw is this the exact word? :D learning English day by day :) )...

We will teach you the American Slang!

hipro5
11-22-2007, 11:35 PM
We will teach you the American Slang!

Hmmm.....What is "Slang"....like language or so?....:D

Praz
11-22-2007, 11:38 PM
lol. Your English is just fine. That pretty much describes the situation.

T_M
11-22-2007, 11:53 PM
lame is the correct word.
Slang is like casual unofficial language, usually a made up word for something that slowly grows into common use.

hipro5
11-23-2007, 12:14 AM
lame is the correct word.
Slang is like casual unofficial language, usually a made up word for something that slowly grows into common use.

Ahhh......Thanks T_M.... :)

Matias23
11-23-2007, 04:52 AM
I think that NVIDIA and INTEL should work together as in
NVIDIA should let Yorkfield processor on SLI boards, and Intel should let SLI to work on Intel boards.
And who ever make better mobo will win.
And is is down to custommers preferences wich board will buy.

OBR
11-23-2007, 11:10 PM
This information is RIGHT, i have the same info directly from nVidia. YES nF680i never will support Yorkfields, only Wolfdale! This is final information, stop speculation about Yorkfields on nF680i! This chipset never support it ...

You will need nF780i SLI! Damn Intel for :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing politics ... but Intel is in IT industry GOD Almighty ...

dinos22
11-23-2007, 11:18 PM
This information is RIGHT, i have the same info directly from nVidia. YES nF680i never will support Yorkfields, only Wolfdale! This is final information, stop speculation about Yorkfields on nF680i! This chipset never support it ...

You will need nF780i SLI! Damn Intel for :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing politics ... but Intel is in IT industry GOD Almighty ...

yeah i got the confirmation via email too about 680i :(
780i incoming :D

OBR
11-24-2007, 12:01 AM
:mad: i like my Striker so much ... i dont want new stupid nF680i SLI+PCIe 2.0 (nF780i SLI) mobo. It is the same northbridge and here is a way how to support Yorkfields ... i know it, but here is stupid politics of Intel ...

JumpingJack
11-24-2007, 12:06 AM
For sale -- slightly used, Asus Striker Extreme ... :)

OBR
11-24-2007, 12:32 AM

Yeah, for sure ...

dinos22
11-24-2007, 02:45 AM

looks at the XFX board sitting here :rofl:
it will get a workout tomorrow before retirement :up:

nemrod
11-24-2007, 02:50 AM

Are you joking with your damn intel?

Asus P5N-T Deluxe nForce 780i Motherboard Preview
http://www.hardwarexl.com/reviews/mainboards/asus_p5n-t_deluxe_nforce_780i_motherboard_preview/

Strange part is that the 780i is in fact a 680i with an added additional PCIe 2.0 bridge chipset.

Nice to sell new chipset, when an awaiting cpu arrives... Nvidia has nothing to win supporting already sold chipset...

dinos22
11-24-2007, 02:53 AM
Are you joking with your damn intel?

Asus P5N-T Deluxe nForce 780i Motherboard Preview
http://www.hardwarexl.com/reviews/mainboards/asus_p5n-t_deluxe_nforce_780i_motherboard_preview/

why do you think he's joking?

nemrod
11-24-2007, 02:58 AM
why do you think he's joking?

It's in big and red :shrug:

OBR
11-24-2007, 03:52 AM
nVidia says: we want to bring support to our customers, because we care of them ... but Intel cuts off us from that ...

stevecs
11-24-2007, 04:33 AM
I own an SE here, and even though would have liked the QX9650 to have worked I don't see what the fuss is about. The board came out over a year ago before 45nm chips were even out, not to mention the quad core versions of them. It can run all of the 45nm dual cores out there it looks like just not the quads. Ok, well you can still use the 65nm quad core on it for the exact same rated speed and at 1333fsb.

I think nvidia did a decent job actually on the chipset/system no worse than any other company trying to support something that was only in pre-engineering samples, if that, at the time of inception. What you were looking for a board that you would never need to change? Good luck with that. ;)

disruptfam
11-24-2007, 05:15 AM
When is the evga 780i out for purchase??? Doesn't its have the almost exact same layout as the 680i?? could i still use all my ek nb sb and mofset blocks?? i HOPE so... and is it confirmed the 780i will support all the new 45nm cpu's yorkfield and wolfdale?

nemrod
11-24-2007, 06:17 AM
nVidia says: we want to bring support to our customers, because we care of them ... but Intel cuts off us from that ...

And you think they would have say:
"We don't want to support 680i in order to sell new chipset?"

So again:
"780i is in fact a 680i with an added additional PCIe 2.0 bridge chipset."

if 780i support penryns, why can't the 780i without the additional PCIe 2.0 bridge chipset. (aka the 680i) ?

dinos22
11-24-2007, 06:22 AM
it's a revised chipset nemrod

Hornet331
11-24-2007, 06:23 AM
cause NV is gready. :ROTF:

why support an old chipset when you can sell a newone, imho intel has nothing todo with it. The one and only to blame is NV.

Shintai
11-24-2007, 06:34 AM
nVidia is as usual full of it. Considering Yorkfield works on 945 chipsets and SiS and maybe even ATI chipsets. Just consider how long back this "conspiracy" should have been running.

nVidia messed up as usual with their craptastic chipsets. They should stick to GPUs that they actually know how to make.

cky2k6
11-24-2007, 06:39 AM

if nvidia actually cared about its customers, it would sell intel an sli license, instead of forcing people who already bought two of their video cards through the pain of having to rma 10 motherboards to find a working one... i know i for one, along with probably at least a considerable amount of people, would buy an sli system, if we were allowed to use an intel chipset. gpus are more expensive than chipsets, so if nvidia just stopped being greedy bastards, they would probably make even more money this way... and besides, for whatever reason, some massochists would still buy their chipsets...

Eddie3dfx
11-24-2007, 07:49 AM
This isn't a stupid move by intel. If you think about it, nvidia is really the one that punched first by not giving intel the sli technology, even though I believe this would of mean't more sales for nvidia in their gpus.
Intel could cut nvidias head right off if they decide to go after the gpu market.

Don_Dan
11-24-2007, 09:28 AM
When is the evga 780i out for purchase??? Doesn't its have the almost exact same layout as the 680i?? could i still use all my ek nb sb and mofset blocks?? i HOPE so... and is it confirmed the 780i will support all the new 45nm cpu's yorkfield and wolfdale?

I heard that the layout of the standard 780i by XFX, EVGA etc. shall be very similar to the one of the 680i, so you should be able to use them. But of course, I cannot guarantee that, I think you will have to wait.

Skratch
11-24-2007, 10:27 AM
will the new chips work on the 975x chipset? Ihave a dfi sitting around that I might put back together.

this has nothing to do with intel,its nvidia making us buy new boards,intel could care less if it works on 680i.

put your selves in nvidia situation...lets see how will we sell the new chipsets if the 680i is a solid chipset?

brilliant...dont support the new chips with a bios update and force them to buy new chipsets haha brilliant

rozzyroz
11-24-2007, 12:57 PM
cause NV is gready. :ROTF:

why support an old chipset when you can sell a newone, imho intel has nothing todo with it. The one and only to blame is NV.

thats what i think as well.. if nvidia can make yorky work on 780, then they could make it run on 680. if they did that though, it would only be helping out intel to sell more chips, and nvidia would waste resources without seeing a profit.

no benefit for nvidia to put man hours on this, it would only support current owners of the 680i.

JAG87
11-24-2007, 01:05 PM
if nvidia actually cared about its customers, it would sell intel an sli license, instead of forcing people who already bought two of their video cards through the pain of having to rma 10 motherboards to find a working one... i know i for one, along with probably at least a considerable amount of people, would buy an sli system, if we were allowed to use an intel chipset. gpus are more expensive than chipsets, so if nvidia just stopped being greedy bastards, they would probably make even more money this way... and besides, for whatever reason, some massochists would still buy their chipsets...

Absolutely SPOT ON :up:

And this is coming from a 680i owner, no shame in admitting it.

cky2k6
11-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Absolutely SPOT ON :up:

And this is coming from a 680i owner, no shame in admitting it.

i guess though, thinking about it, nvidia is probably milking its gpu performance leadership for all it can, and i'm sure its board partners enjoy selling mobos to the likes of dell, alienware, vodoo, and the rest. unfortunately, most who buy systems with the 680i chipset will never oc their cpu, much less a quad core, so its perfectly fine for stock... still nvidia, respect us as a customer base, sell intel a freaking license...

hipro5
11-25-2007, 12:49 AM
IF ATI had a "performer" VGA (like when the 9700 came out), I could tell you if NVIDIA whould sell a SLI license to INTEL or not.....NEXT DAY..... :D :p:

Is it prefairable to run a QUAD CPU at 5400MHz+ with a SLI and an INTEL chipset with HIGH FSB/Memory bandwidth EASY - OR run it at 5200MHz MAX with SLI, NVIDIA chipset and LOW FSB/Memory bandwidth/Latency/LOTS of problems till ONE bench of HANDRENDS come out?..... :rolleyes:

Sagart
11-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Anybody tried to OC Yorkies on 780i yet? :)

Dynasty
11-25-2007, 04:40 PM
780i delayed and barely working with Yorkie. Not really surprised . ;)

//Andreas

780i with an qx9650 @ 5250mhz is
what would be considered barely working ? .................:p:

dinos22
11-25-2007, 05:04 PM
780i with an qx9650 @ 5250mhz is
what would be considered barely working ? .................:p:

depends on the motherboard they tried dude
if it was Asus then i can understand his comment completely

i'll be getting the reference board in a couple of weeks...looking forward to testing it out

i hope they are not :banana::banana::banana::banana:s like 680i boards to overclock but from what i'm seeing here with vince's setup it seems to be doing well considering how far he pushed it on dice

looks good on RAM side there too with 430 3-3-3-x 1T :up:

mdzcpa
11-25-2007, 05:11 PM
From what I've learned from someone inside, the 780i reference mobos are being tweaked to provide support for the quad penryns. Its definitely NOT a chipset issue...the NB of the 780i is essentially the same as the 680i. The tweak being made to the 780i boards is in layout to properly control the multiplier and improve bus stability. That's it. The new reference boards should be seen in just a few weeks. 780i will support the 45nm quads.

The question is whether the stability for solid overclocks will be there. Support is one thing, overclocking is another. My guess is this "quick fix" to the 780i reference design is only going to provide support at modest clocks at the bus. Use of the multi will be necessary for big clocks. At least that's what i'm lead to beleive.

dinos22
11-25-2007, 05:16 PM
vince had a fairly decent FSB there :confused: unless retail CPUs will differ but from what i have seen so far most retail CPUs seem to be doing better than ES lol

Dynasty
11-25-2007, 05:27 PM
depends on the motherboard they tried dude
sry meant for A2 reference nV design board....
I said nothing about asus boards....:)

vince had a fairly decent FSB there :confused: unless retail CPUs will differ but from what i have seen so far most retail CPUs seem to be doing better than ES lol

especially week 39's.....;)

dinos22
11-25-2007, 05:35 PM
especially week 39's.....;)

yeah true
well all except eva2000s
he bought a dud :( :( :( :( :(

disruptfam
11-25-2007, 05:54 PM
i just read a review on a qx9650 pc powerplay Australia...

and they reviewed it on a asus striker extreme 680I Got it to 4ghz apparently

How did they do that if it's not supported are they full of Bs or what???

dinos22
11-25-2007, 06:25 PM
i just read a review on a qx9650 pc powerplay Australia...

and they reviewed it on a asus striker extreme 680I Got it to 4ghz apparently

How did they do that if it's not supported are they full of Bs or what???

must be a typo :confused:

WRC
11-25-2007, 07:11 PM
maybe they have an engineering sample

dinos22
11-25-2007, 07:16 PM
nah don't think so

Praz
11-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Running the board at that speed would be possible. Stability is another issue though.

disruptfam
11-25-2007, 07:42 PM
They did state they had es chip..

Can't link you guys to it :( it's in this months pc powerplay australia magazine...

Praz
11-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Well if they had an ES then that's the answer.

dinos22
11-25-2007, 07:59 PM
They did state they had es chip..

Can't link you guys to it :( it's in this months pc powerplay australia magazine...

you can always just scan one page hehe

ES chips getting overclocked on 680i asus

you guys would know about it here for sure if that was possible

Praz
11-25-2007, 08:45 PM
you can always just scan one page hehe

ES chips getting overclocked on 680i asus

you guys would know about it here for sure if that was possible
They are known to work on the DFI 680i board so why not the Asus?

dinos22
11-25-2007, 08:50 PM
They are known to work on the DFI 680i board so why not the Asus?

they are very spotty on DFI boards

some work some don't ;) but VERY finnicky from what i've heard

trust me George would post some results rather than this thread if that was the case

hipro5
11-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Problem now is: WILL i780 chipset fully support the QUAD RETAIL York OR are we going for a "brand new i790" one?....That's the question...... :)

NH|Delph1
11-26-2007, 02:53 AM
metro and I had some minor discussions on this last night (my time ;)) and I did some further digging after that.

NVIDIA will not bother to fix Yorkfield support with 680i.

nForce 7 series will have Yorkfield support, even though nForce 7 and nForce 6 is basically the same chipset, it's not the chipset that's the problem. It's the layout.
NVIDIA is working hard on getting the Yorkies to play along with the nForce 7 and the goal is to have proper overclocking with retail Yorkies by the launch. There's just no alternative for NVIDIA. Without Yorkie support NVIDIA could just as well throw the chips in the cylinder archive.

//Andreas

naokaji
11-26-2007, 03:38 AM
the inquirer has a go at the issue too... link (http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/23/nvidia-680i-chipset-fails)
link (http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=167016)to evga forum which is the inq's source for those that dont want to give them hits.

basically what the evga guy posted is that 680I will get support for retail 45nm dualcores with a Bios update, since he specifically said dual cores it leaves it in the dark what will happen to support for 45nm Quads on 680I.

Praz
11-26-2007, 04:38 AM
they are very spotty on DFI boards

some work some don't ;) but VERY finnicky from what i've heard

trust me George would post some results rather than this thread if that was the case
Even if true that some ES chips work and some don't there is no reason this same "spotty" success rate wouldn't apply to all boards at least enough to throw up some type of result for a review. Even the results that k|ngp|n posted would be enough for a review to give the impression of compatibility.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2531830&postcount=96

__Miguel_
11-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Considering Yorkfield works on 945 chipsets and SiS and maybe even ATI chipsets.
Please, please, PLEASE tell me about one 945GC-based mobo that is compatible with yorkfields...

I'm not an OC'er (not that 945-based chipsets OC or anything... lol), and I'm basically a huge mATX w**** (sorry about the language), so I'd absolutely pay for one of those...

I've seen an ASRock model boasting Wolfdale support already, but what I really want is Quad-core for (very) cheap on a mATX board... Right now the only Intel mATX boards with Quad-core support are either single-channel (anything SiS, VIA or NVIDIA...), extremely old (775i65G, from ASRock, and its sister from Asus, which still run the 865G chipset...), or downright expensive (anything G3x-based). I still can't understand why 945x doesn't support quads...

If any of you knows anything about this one, please tell me, ok?

Ok, on topic, now. If I recall correctly, the 680i has been around since way before Penryn was released, right? Even before the 3x series chipsets, which were the first ones to explicitly say "Penryn-compatible". From that time till now, there have been changes to the VRM specs, so my guess is, if there is nothing really bad going on with the 6xx and 7xx series chipsets, we'll eventually see at least unnofficial support for Penryn (dual and quad-cores). Hell, since I've seen ASRock supporting the Q6600 on the 865G chipset, I believe anything is possible in terms of motherboard CPU support...

Cheers.

Miguel

P.S.: Sorry for the OT, I really needed help on this one.

iadstudio
11-29-2007, 01:44 PM
POS nVidia. my board is half way out the door and I doubt I'll ever go back to an nVidia chipset.

stealthbomber
11-29-2007, 02:11 PM
All the Asus P5B models P965 boards (bar one) all supports the Yorkfield chip as listed on the Asus site: http://event.asus.com/mb/45nm/

Pile of crap nvidia board, this for me rules out any upgrades until Nehalem is released thanks to this pile of junk, not worth the time nor money getting a X38/48 board just to run Yorkfield chips when Nehalem is so close.

p8ntslinger676
11-29-2007, 11:04 PM
*sigh* this sucks.

asp6000
11-29-2007, 11:33 PM
I've been using various nvidia chipset boards for 2 years straight now...

Now have DFI X38 on order and not looking back... to faulty sli drivers or the crapola nvidia chipsets

Remember the 680i 300fsb max for quad-cores last year? They were gimped from day one, then approx. five months later evga released the A1 revision....

KTE
11-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Remember the 680i 300fsb max for quad-cores last year? They were gimped from day one, then approx. five months later evga released the A1 revision....Yeah bro I remember that very well. :( I still have the EVGA 680i SLi back at home so knowing no Penryn quad support is pretty bad. EOL for it I guess. :shakes:

Mk
12-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Any one know the exact release date of 780i ?

And will it supoort Yorkfield?!

The_Beast
12-01-2007, 02:15 PM
that suck :(

GAR
12-01-2007, 03:18 PM
780i will be released in mid december, and fully supports yorkfield cpu's and all 45nm cpu's...................but 680i only will support 45nm dual core cpu's

Ridstar
12-01-2007, 03:36 PM
according to this http://event.asus.com/mb/45nm/ the nforce 780i wont support the new 45nm quads... but duo's are capable....

WRC
12-01-2007, 04:14 PM
according to evga the 780i fully supports quad core yorkfield. I'm hoping the dual cores can clock a lot higher to make up for only using two cores :)

NH|Delph1
12-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Motherboards using the "780i" chipset will have Yorkfield support. Mid-December is still the set launch date as far as I know.

Motherboards using the 680i chipset and the NVIDIA standard layout will not support Yorkfield. It's a layout problem, not a chipset problem.

//Andreas

Mk
12-01-2007, 05:28 PM
supports , Dont supports , supports Baaahhhh
I'm confused :confused: :confused:
Can i get an offical link that say's it gona Support or its not please:rolleyes:

eva2000
12-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Can i get an offical link that say's it gona Support or its not please:rolleyes:
i think initially 780i didn't support yorkies but since 780i hasn't been released, they can respin the chipset to support yorkies by delaying the 780i launch a tad... too late to respin 680i hence no support

bingo13
12-01-2007, 09:16 PM
The 780i boards were delayed (week of 12/17) to rework the boards to work with Yorkfield correctly. Since they had a delay, they tweaked the 680i chipset one last time (780i is nothing more than 680i+PCIe 2.0 Bridge Chip). The first 780i boards did not work with the C0 Yorkies, they did work just fine with the A1 Yorkies, so there is more to the that story. ;)

NH|Delph1
12-02-2007, 01:06 AM

Statement by NIVDIA France Here in French (http://www.pcinpact.com/actu/news/40330-NVIDIA-Penryn-nForce-680i-SLi-nForce-7-MCP73.htm), The gist of it (in English) Here (http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7089.html)

i think initially 780i didn't support yorkies but since 780i hasn't been released, they can respin the chipset to support yorkies by delaying the 780i launch a tad... too late to respin 680i hence no support

Not a chipset issue ;)

The 780i boards were delayed (week of 12/17) to rework the boards to work with Yorkfield correctly. Since they had a delay, they tweaked the 680i chipset one last time (780i is nothing more than 680i+PCIe 2.0 Bridge Chip). The first 780i boards did not work with the C0 Yorkies, they did work just fine with the A1 Yorkies, so there is more to the that story. ;)

:up:

//Andreas

emu002
12-02-2007, 02:48 AM
I think ppl are panicking over nothing

I am pretty sure support will be added in furture bios updates for 680i

twin_savage
12-02-2007, 02:59 AM
that'd be nice

Praz
12-02-2007, 04:35 AM
I am pretty sure support will be added in furture bios updates for 680i
It's too bad nVidia doesn't share those same thoughts. Maybe instead of writing "am pretty sure" you should have wrote "hope".

dinos22
12-27-2007, 05:32 PM
old thread i know

but one of my i4memory team mates is using his new RETAIL yorkfield with DFI 680i and latest beta bios

YES 680i + RETAIL QX9650 = working beautifully heheheh

he posted a whole bunch of results on HWBOT ;)

GripS
12-27-2007, 05:36 PM
old thread i know

but one of my i4memory team mates is using his new RETAIL yorkfield with DFI 680i and latest beta bios

That doesn't surprise me. If it can be done leave it to DFI to figure it out. :up:

Pffff....... and people thought DFI sucked for intel.

Cold Fussion
12-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Don't suppose theres any chance of the new yorkfields working on a p5n32-e sli?

CyberDruid
12-27-2007, 09:18 PM
old thread i know

So is that the only 680i board that will?

junkun13
12-27-2007, 11:46 PM
XFX 780i board

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurations.jspa?series=XFX+nForce+780i&seriesId=1743782&productId=1743798#

Supported CPUs:
Intel Penryn, Core 2 Extreme, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, Pentium

virtualrain
12-28-2007, 02:50 AM
old thread i know

I must be blind... (can't find it)... can you post a link?

dinos22
12-28-2007, 03:15 AM
http://www.hwbot.org/user.do?userId=6708

GripS
12-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Sure enough. Verification links and everything.

pmp
12-28-2007, 09:09 AM
So is that the only 680i board that will?

No.
ASUS Striker Extreme also works like a charm with Yorkfields, with latest alpha BIOSs, they will be released soon for public use.