PDA

View Full Version : Former AT&T worker details federal Internet spying in S.F.

hecktic
11-14-2007, 05:41 AM
November 7, 2007 - His first inkling that something was amiss came in summer 2002 when he opened the door to admit a visitor from the National Security Agency to an office of AT&T in San Francisco.

"What the heck is the NSA doing here?" Mark Klein, a former AT&T technician, said he asked himself.

A year or so later, he stumbled upon documents that, he said, nearly caused him to fall out of his chair. The documents, he said, show that the NSA gained access to huge amounts of e-mail, Web search and other Internet records of more than a dozen global and regional telecom providers. AT&T allowed the agency to hook into its network at a facility in San Francisco and, according to Klein, many of the other telecom companies probably knew nothing about it.

Klein is in Washington this week to share his story in the hope that it will persuade lawmakers not to grant legal immunity to telecommunications firms that helped the government in its anti-terrorism efforts.

Klein, 62, said he may be the only person in the country in a position to discuss firsthand knowledge of an important aspect of the Bush administration's domestic surveillance. He is retired, so he isn't worried about losing his job. He carried no security clearance, and the documents in his possession were not classified, he said. He has no qualms about "turning in," as he put it, the company where he worked for 22 years, until he retired in 2004.

"If they've done something massively illegal and unconstitutional - well, they should suffer the consequences," Klein said. "It's not my place to feel bad for them. They made their bed. They have to lie in it. The ones who did (anything wrong), you can be sure, are high up in the company. Not the average Joes, who I enjoyed working with."

In an interview Tuesday, he said the NSA set up a system that vacuumed up Internet and phone-call data from ordinary Americans with the cooperation of AT&T. Contrary to the government's depiction of its surveillance program as aimed at overseas terrorists, Klein said, much of the data sent through AT&T to the NSA was purely domestic. Klein said he believes the NSA was analyzing the records for usage patterns as well as for content.

He said the NSA built a special room to receive data streamed through an AT&T Internet room containing "peering links," or major connections to other telecom providers. The largest of the links delivered 2.5 gigabits of data - the equivalent of one-quarter of the Encyclopedia Britannica's text - per second, said Klein, whose documents and eyewitness account form the basis of one of the first lawsuits filed against the telecom giants after the government's warrantless-surveillance program was reported in the New York Times in December 2005.

Claudia Jones, an AT&T spokeswoman, said she had no comment on Klein's allegations.

The NSA and the White House declined to comment on Klein's allegations.

More details at the source. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/07/MNIST7NS9.DTL

RedBull78
11-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Hehe all this spying and yet bush is still talking about protecting freedom. What a bunch of crazy lunatics in our government. All this just to protect the dollar. Pathetic.

Patriotism does not mean support of everything the government does. Patriotism is about thinking for yourself and having the guts to stand up and fight for it.

Brother Esau
11-14-2007, 07:23 AM
Yea ...Bush is a Terrorist that is a Fact!

Pete
11-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Yea ...Bush is a Terrorist that is a Fact!

I only said that the other day as well my self here. Funny that as a lot of people are now starting to see what he is really all about

TorquedJetta
11-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Doesn't surprise me a bit that they are doing this with the internet. Down in Maryland on 295 towards DC there are some nice "hills" that are clearly man made. Guess who's building is next to them? Same people. Land call data center anybody?

GD5015
11-14-2007, 07:41 PM
A guy from the NSA walks in and intros himself to a tech? Maybe he was wearing his super secret decoder ring and that gave him away.:rofl:

`danny
11-14-2007, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't go as far as to say Bush is a terrorist just a "misguided" leader... I think that we must not give up our freedoms for the illusion of security because freedom I believe is the only way we can really conquer terrorism. I think AT&T should be punished for these actions along with the rest of the companies that practically gave their users' data away.

Serpentarius
11-14-2007, 08:26 PM
wow.. its getting more n more spying, in fact, maybe this thread is spied as well!
what's actually happen in US anyhow? i tot KGB, Secret Police is no more, now comes NSA?

sounds commie to me. Maybe Bush has finally acknowledged Russian politics is the way to go. or maybe China?

ABXG
11-14-2007, 10:18 PM
wow.. its getting more n more spying, in fact, maybe this thread is spied as well!
what's actually happen in US anyhow? i tot KGB, Secret Police is no more, now comes NSA?

sounds commie to me. Maybe Bush has finally acknowledged Russian politics is the way to go. or maybe China?

Bush is on the conservitive side of things, this would actually be closer to Fascism.

Cybercat
11-14-2007, 10:43 PM
I really don't see the purpose for them to do this, but I'm sure conspiracy theorists will have a field day with it.

Fungus
11-15-2007, 12:03 AM
1984 anyone? :)

Big Brother is watching...

FghtinIrshNvrDi
11-15-2007, 04:43 AM
Wow, commies really rear the hate.

Probably shouldn't have posted. Now they'll demand I write a thesis explaining why I said that and to tear down every point they make, only to burn the thesis.

Ryan