PDA

View Full Version : The mystery that is AMD Fab 38[fabtech]

informal
11-13-2007, 10:17 AM
[AD]
The mystery that is AMD Fab 38 Print E-mail
Nov 13, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Several emails made their way to me yesterday, as did a few more this morning, that include some stories citing John Lau, a semiconductor analyst at New York-based Jefferies & Co., as saying that AMD is negotiating the sale of Fab 38 (previously Fab 36, 200mm) to TSMC.
I was actually in Dresden only last week and got the chance to briefly talk to Udo Nothelfer, VP of Fab 36, AMD’s 300mm facility and one of the original Dresden start-up engineers for AMD’s operations in Dresden 10 years ago.

He said that a small tool set was being installed at Fab 38 to assist in the qualification of AMD’s 45nm process that was currently in pilot production at Fab 36. No mention (as expected) that executives could be in talks to sell the fab!

With that said, it is interesting that TSMC’s name keeps popping up whenever a fab is being touted for sale. We had this recently with TSMC and Hynix with regard to 200mm fabs and with Atmel’s 200mm fab in the UK.

In each of these cases, the negotiations were actually about purchasing 200mm tools for its (TSMC’s) China fab which is massive and expanding very quickly to cater for trailing-edge CMOS chip demand from a wide base of customers, both fabless and IDM.

It should also be noted that TSMC has only three fabs outside of Taiwan: one 200mm fab in the US (200mm), one new 200mm fab in China and a JV fab with Philips (NXP) in Singapore. The US fab has never been a jewel in its crown, while the low cost basis of China is far more lucrative for TSMC.

TSMC has had many opportunities to buy decent-sized fabs in Europe in the past and has never done so!

I don’t actually know if all the 200mm tools for Fab 30 were actually sold to the Russians, so there could be negotiations over certain tools that TSMC may be interested in rather than the fab itself if any are hanging about.

Granted, we also have the overhanging issue of what Hector Ruiz is planning as far as an asset-lite strategy goes, which always includes closer foundry relationships. Perhaps - and this is pure speculation at this time - AMD has said to TSMC that if it wants its microprocessor business (a percentage thereof), then purchase or come in on a JV footing with Fab 38 and run our 300mm SOI wafers while you can run other customers’ Bulk CMOS processes – customers such as NXP, STM or CSR, perhaps!

But that all makes a mockery of the Chartered and Common Platform Alliance work of which AMD has been and still is a firm supporter.

It all seems a mystery to me at the moment, as the logic required to go along with the initial rumors seems to me to be fundamentally flawed. The simple gossip that TSMC is negotiating the purchase of Fab 38 - or the other way round - doesn’t actually matter!

What isn’t so illogical is that the rumor is being spread by John Lau at Jeffries & Co. Lau is very much in the Intel Corp. camp. Perhaps more time spent in Dresden talking to AMD people would have prevented the Chinese whisper phenomenon, as the rumor didn’t travel that well across the Atlantic.

AMD is expected to give an update to its asset-lite strategy next month, but as usual, the longer the wait, the more ridiculous the rumors will get. This current rumor isn’t ridiculous it’s just flawed based on its simplicity.

http://www.fabtech.org/content/view/5715/

So much for selling off the fab30,eh? :rolleyes:
I must quote again the following paragraph :p: :

What isn’t so illogical is that the rumor is being spread by John Lau at Jeffries & Co. Lau is very much in the Intel Corp. camp.

Shintai
11-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Maybe take look on your quote again. It makes no sense at all to do this is your are Intel or whatever.

The reason you want such rumours is to make shortterm changes to the stockprice. In other words, speculants.

informal
11-13-2007, 10:28 AM
The whole point of the article is that "fab38 is for sale" talk is rubbish/FUD.

Syn.
11-13-2007, 11:11 AM
oh be quiet shintel, the point about analyst being in Intel camp is more of a side note so stop nit picking only the points you can argue against. Anyway i actually thought you would come and here and confirm that the analyst is from the Intel camp, since you are an Intel boy your self as everyone here knows. I dunno maybe i thought that since your point of views are so aligned that you shared a tent while you where both competing for the "How to crap on the AMD's little parade" badge at the last summer camp.

On a more serious note i did come to almost exact conclusion in the previous thread, except its now gone and i cant show off how brilliant my logic is. I guess this reply will have to suffice. Because i love to crap on Shintel parade. Did i win the badge?

happychappy
11-13-2007, 11:15 AM
oh be quiet shintel, the point about analyst being in Intel camp is more of a side note so stop nit picking only the points you can argue against. Anyway i actually thought you would come and here and confirm that the analyst is from the Intel camp, since you are an Intel boy your self as everyone here knows. I dunno maybe i thought that since your point of views are so aligned that you shared a tent while you where both competing for the "How to crap on the AMD's little parade" badge at the last summer camp.

On a more serious note i did come to almost exact conclusion in the previous thread, except its now gone and i cant show off how brilliant my logic is. I guess this reply will have to suffice. Because i love to crap on Shintel parade. Did i win the badge?
No, he just doesn't see the world through green-tinted glasses, even if they are slightly blue;)

nemrod
11-13-2007, 02:47 PM
oh be quiet shintel,

You're lucky to be UK citizen
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165576
:D

BrowncoatGR
11-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Fab 38 (previously Fab 36, 200mm) to TSMC.
Seriously this is not even funny....

Zytek_Fan
11-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Seriously this is just crap spinning before a BIG product launch to get their stock down. Not phasing it though ;)

[XC] Lead Head
11-13-2007, 05:21 PM
FAB 30 is the 200MM 90NM plant. It was just closed to be converted into FAB38 (300MM). It would not be completed this fast, not to mention that FAB36 and 32 are within the same building, all connected, and that would be extremely odd having TSMC owning a section of the building. Whole article is fud.