PDA

View Full Version : dynamic web pages & passing info to flash

madman2233
11-12-2007, 09:52 AM
I have been working on a bit of a side project for a while now and i want to incorporate something new. I host some music on my website using my own modified QuiXplorer (quixplorer.sourceforge.net). I have it set so instead of downloading the file when you click on it, it will open a new window that has xspf player (musicplayer.sourceforge.net). The problem is you have to select each song after your finished with the previous. I want to make it so there is a playlist.

I was hoping i could keep Quixplorer, but with the music in multiple directories, i wouldnt be able to put the flash player on the same page without having it reload everytime you switch directories. I dont think i would be able to put the flash in a separate window either because then how would i pass info to it?

And i cant put all of the music in one playlist because there is simply too much and some people dont want to listen to certain songs.

Do i have to use Frames, have the flash player in a different frame than Quixplorer?

Or is what im trying to do completely impossible or idiotically simple?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT:

Im thinking i can dynamically create an XML file that the flash player loads every time i click on a song, it changes the xml file to incorporate the new song in the playlist. Then the problem is getting the flash player to reload the playlist without stopping the current song.

MDK
11-12-2007, 02:43 PM
a) You can "target" other open windows just fine so If you want to open your player in another window that will work ok.

b) You can have also have the server generate a simple text file with the last file that was clicked and have flash periodically read that file to see if the song has changed. This is not the best solution but it works.

c) forget about QuiXplorer and just generate an xml playlist/file list and make a simple file browser in flash (its not too hard)

cheers

madman2233
11-12-2007, 09:44 PM
i guess this gives me a great chance to finally learn Flash.

Option B sounds like it would work. It seems to fit my style of programming, and my webserver situation.

Thanks for the response.