PDA

View Full Version : HSF came off?

deerhunter
07-25-2003, 08:07 AM
I shipped a guy a system 2nd day UPS.
He said the Volcano7+ was came off during shipping.
Now he said the mobo and HD aren't working.
That HSF has a triple clip. Do you think he is telling the truth?
I will try to make good with him through RMA and such but,
I am having a hard time believing it just fell off.
Anyone else have experience with this?
Thanks

JBELL
07-25-2003, 08:24 AM
volcanos are a §§§§§! .. if it did come off - yell at the shipper cause they had to bang the hell out of the box.

other wise he got dumb and was taking it apart and screwed up and made up a lame story but a volcano on its own would not fall off!

Tweaked!
07-25-2003, 08:31 AM
I would have to agree with Jbell here. There's always a chance it couldv'e happened that way, but I highly doubt it. I would say it was more like end user error.

Keeper
07-25-2003, 08:35 AM
I had a PC dilivered that the heatsink fell off through UPS. It too was a Volcano7+. It went from El Paso to Amarillo TX, a 500 mile trip. The guy heard it moving around in the case while unpacking it. He hooked back up and the system ran fine. But it did seem the box, even though it was well packed did take a beating.

deerhunter
07-25-2003, 11:20 AM
I guess it is possible. He is saying the mobo and HD are screwed up, perhaps by the HSF. Darnit!

Attitudx
07-25-2003, 11:44 AM
I guess it could be possible that it come off but i find it hard to beleive that a 3 pin clip just come off i mean it had to be jarring and if that thing was bouncing around in the case would not there be marks that it hit the board ie knocked off capacitors gouiges in the mb???? I mean if it was hit hard enough to come off then???? But anything is possible

Keeper
07-25-2003, 02:22 PM
I have got packages that looked like there was no way anything inside them could still work. Some of these guys throw the boxes, but if the heatsink did in the MB, how did he know the HD was bad?

Dissolved
07-25-2003, 02:27 PM
well ive heard of hsf's comming off alot.. the zif sockets are only plastic. You cant expect them to take shipping abuse.

All you can do is tell the guy to ship it back so you can file a claim.
once you get it back inspec it.. you can tell if it was human abuse or shipping abuse easy.

But unless the buyer is a total Tard then id say shipping messed it up.

JBELL
07-25-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Keeper
I have got packages that looked like there was no way anything inside them could still work. Some of these guys throw the boxes, but if the heatsink did in the MB, how did he know the HD was bad?

that was what I was hinting to in my post.....

deerhunter
07-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Wow great news, here is an excerpt from the guy I sent the PC to.

Good news though. 2 hours later and all is well. I am sending this from the Asus system. The retainer had been bent enough where the HSF was not mking very good contact. The temp was rising fast enough to cause the board not to recognize the drive. All is well. Thank you very much for the great deal and trying so quickly to make amends and the apparent damage....
You Rock!
Sam

How about that! This is the reply I got after I told him I submitted a claim on the UPS website.
I guess that heavy copper did make the HSF fall off when the UPS guys threw the box around.
But I tend to think JBell was right, the guy made some mistakes.
I am sooo glad he finally got it to work!
I want thank all of you that posted here, I needed some guidance, advice, and therapy!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Dissolved
07-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Great to hear that :banana:

Ruantic
07-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Glad to here it worked out for ya.. In the future I would suggest removing heavy HSF, its a smart thing to do, I've had some boxes from ups recently and it was truly amazing the obvious amount of abuse they sustained... Those folks loading/unloading packages at ups, and fedX, must simply have very little regard for packages, may as well try to make them as secure as possible...

deerhunter
07-26-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Ruantic
In the future I would suggest removing heavy HSF, its a smart thing to do,
I agree, that would also avoid the stress the weight puts on the mobo. The way the monkeys throw it around I'm lucky the mobo didn't get cracked. Either that or ship with light aluminum or stock HSFs. Thanks for the tip!

CCW
07-26-2003, 09:33 AM
At work, we shipped a guy a system and the heatsink came off, it damaged the mobo by taking off the little clips, and scratching it thus damaging traces. It also, fell on the graphica card buggering that and scratched the case to hell. It can happen and delivery guys really do not care about the stuff they are delivering.

Good to hear you got it sorted!

Craig

JBELL
07-26-2003, 09:50 AM
worse case use tie downs or tape to secure any and all heavy objects - when thedude bought my koolance case i strapped everything in place securly to the case frame.

Foghorn
07-27-2003, 04:12 AM
I do my own packing for the few things I have to ship. I put mobo etc in a plastic bag, get all the air out that I can, then pack styrofoam peanuts around it. The box is usually reinforced with a layer of cardboard cut from another box.

I perfer FedEx for shipping as it seems a lot faster and things don't get as damaged.

jaawood
07-28-2003, 12:56 AM
whenever i have to ship a comp, i just fill the sucker with air bags and peanuts to make sure things are padded and don't bounce around. glad it worked for yah deerhunter. btw, do you really hunt deer? cuz i hunt blacktails here in alaska ever year, and find the meat (especially backstraps) absolutely delicious.