PDA

View Full Version : Help with over clocking a Athlon 64!

CowGuy
11-11-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm pretty new to over clocking. I recently started to overclock my cpu, In the bios it says that my CPU is running a 2970Mhz. But windows only says 2.2Ghz. Anyone know why this would be happening? Windows used to recognise it when I had it overclocked to 2.4Ghz, but once I go over that it thinks it is overclocked to 2.2Ghz.

stealth
11-11-2007, 11:47 AM
If the rig in your signature is the one you try to overclock then i think.......you post in the wrong forun:).

stealth

CowGuy
11-11-2007, 03:11 PM
If the rig in your signature is the one you try to overclock then i think.......you post in the wrong forun:).

stealth

I had a feeling someone would say that. That's my new rig, this is my old one I'm working on.

funnyperson1
11-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Windows is usually pretty good at reading the clock speed at boot up. Can you download CPU-Z and tell us what it says.

The specs of the rig you are trying to oc would help too.

CowGuy
11-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Here you go http://gmodmagazine.com/specs.JPG
My specs are
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT 256mb

I can get a shot of my bios too if you would like.

zanzabar
11-11-2007, 04:17 PM
do u have cool adn quiet enabled and what dose cpu-z say

64dragon
11-11-2007, 05:13 PM
post a pic of bios, i'd assume that cpuz is reading correctly and according to you pic your basically running stock. are you running mac os or is that a mac theme for xp?

i agree with zanzabar, it cool and quiet is enabled it will cancel out the OC

CowGuy
11-11-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm running windows.
Here are the pics
www.gmodmagazine.com/bio1.JPG
www.gmodmagazine.com/bio2.JPG
www.gmodmagazine.com/bios.JPG

stealth
11-12-2007, 02:02 AM
I had a feeling someone would say that. That's my new rig, this is my old one I'm working on.

There was not a way to know this without knowing your system specks:)

For some reason the system underclocks the CPU,looks like when you have Cool & Quiet or some automatic overclocking utilities enabled and you try to overclock(i saw your screen shots and i know you have them disable).

Leave just the basics on the system(PSU,CPU,VGA,one HD,one stick of Ram)and clear CMOS.

Come back in Bios and don't change any settings except the FSB,try to overclock and see what readings you will get from CPU-Z.

stealth