PDA

View Full Version : Mainboard bios flashed from other mainboard?

d1b1
11-09-2007, 09:14 AM
A quick thought .

If you can flash some of the video cards , can you do the same for main board?

For example if I have Asusu M2N board can I flash bios from the same range of boards but with better specs/options?

karbonkid
11-09-2007, 10:16 AM
No. Boards have to be physically the same to use the same BIOS.

P.S. overclock your graphics card already :p:

aicjofs
11-09-2007, 11:05 AM
That's not completely true. It's entirely on case by case basis, and you are right, most of the time you cannot flash a different BIOS. You certainly cannot flash a DFI BIOS into an Asus mother board etc. Although the system.bin can actually be similar the boards often use a different super I/O and the early code of the BIOS will stall out and you will have a dead board(barring a BIOS savoir, hot flash, etc). However it is possible with boards within the same maker that are very very close to the exact board but maybe with a missing RAID controller, network controller or something. I haven't used Asus in so long I can't remember what the result was of trying to make a regular P4C800 into an 800-E deluxe was.

Either way the only usual reason that I have seen where this is necessary or an option is that the manufacture stops supporting a lower end board and you flash to a higher end board because they are still adding updates to it's BIOS. This was a common practice on some MSI Neo4 boards. (MS-7100 versions) for example, a few different flavors of boards but MSI stopped updating the BIOS on lower end boards, so people would flash the newer BIOS from highend board into low end board.

All that said it's probably a very very low chance of sucess unless the board are almost identical just with some different add on's, and even then you risk a dead board unless you have a backup plan(dual BIOS, hot flash). In other words I don't recommend it.

d1b1
11-10-2007, 07:06 AM

Well I have now started with it.( CPU)
But chip set is getting to hot and the VGA card is in the way.

STEvil
11-10-2007, 12:35 PM
you can flash a bios for one motherboard from another provided they are both the same bios manufacture (pheonix, award, etc) or your program you are using allows you to override that.

The only catch is you must "hot swap" the bios chips to do this which means removing the existing boards bios chip while it is booted into the OS and installing the BIOS chip you want flashed then flashing it.

The bios chips must also be compatable.

hstuehmeyer2000
11-10-2007, 01:19 PM
check this out, http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=000032

d1b1
11-17-2007, 06:30 AM

well I did finally and CPU as well.
I'm now stable on
3.1GHz
GPU 630-1300-930
memory 3-3-3-9 t1

got 9832 points

d1b1
11-17-2007, 07:25 AM

And one more time.

But this time I have broken 10k in 3Dmark06.

But before that I have noticed that the new driver that supposed to help in Crysis performance is doing the opposite actually.

More beneath.