PDA

View Full Version : Best Linux

Svenn
07-10-2002, 11:46 AM
All you Linux users out there... What is a good Linux? Preferably a free one. I'm looking to dual boot Linux/XP. Also, does dual booting decrease performance any?

Neptune5k
07-10-2002, 12:14 PM
RedHat is free and a good distro. Other Popular picks are Mandrake and SuSE. I've never used Mandrake, but SuSE is pretty nice as it has a lot of built in tools. Dual booting won't decrease performance, other than gobbling up HDD space.

Svenn
07-10-2002, 12:22 PM
I haven't messed with linux much, so I don't even know what I"m looking for. Any tips for a linux beginner or maybe a site or two with getting started linux guides. I do happen to have a copy of Red Hat 7.1 but I've heard it's not as good as the others.

Neptune5k
07-10-2002, 12:37 PM
Well i'm no linux guru, i've only messed with it a little and found it impractical for what i use my computer for, so i just left it alone.

As far as tips for us beginners, we're actually pretty fortunate these days. Most distros are pretty helpful in that they include thorough self-installation programs and utilities to set things up. Most also have extensive FAQs and How-to's that come on the CD's, not to mention the plethora of online documentation. If you have Red Hat, give it a shot and if you like Linux, you can always update your Kernal and GUI, such as KDE desktop.

If you want the most uptodate, check out the Mandrake and RH's latest, I've heard bad things of SuSE's latest.

scrllock
07-20-2002, 05:46 PM
If you can, try and get a hold of the newest version of red hat, 7.3. For a newcomer to linux such as yourself, I would reccomend using MANdrake, red hat or suse,since mandrake and red hat use the rpm system (they can use installation files that make installing software in linux much easier). And suse has a very nice driver update program, that can go out and get the latest nvidia drivers. Nvidia also offers their drivers in rpm format. If you plan to try out any gaming under linux, having these drivers lets you do so.d

Smizack
07-20-2002, 08:20 PM
We use RH 7.3 for our mail server. Never had a problem with it.

JBELL
07-20-2002, 09:08 PM
Mandrake 8.1 has been best for my limited experience