PDA

View Full Version : Win2k vs WinXP

Svenn
07-10-2002, 11:04 AM
Okay, I tried Win2k when it first came out and my 3dmarks dropped a good 1000 points or so from 98... I don't even think I had 98SE yet... I haven't noticed any real performance difference with XP and 98 but I haven't tested them side by side so I don't know. So why is it that everyone says 2k is better than XP? I'm not worried about stability because I've had no problems with XP and stability. What about performance in games and 3dmarks? Did some of the service packs increase performance a bunch in 2k? I'm thinking of testing 98SE vs XP Pro vs 2k when I get my new system and have it running...

JBELL
07-14-2002, 06:41 PM
on the 2K pro did you run sp1???

it is a world of diff amoung the two

Smizack
07-14-2002, 08:33 PM
Ya know, I've been saying that for a while... And no one ever agreed with me but I get better performance out of XP than 2k, it's more stable, it plays games better, it looks better and you can tweak the hell out of it.

What I'm trying to figure out is why anyone would still be using anything else.

dmitriyaz
07-14-2002, 08:44 PM
i 100% agree with Smizack there.

Svenn
07-15-2002, 08:23 AM
Eh, is it a huge difference with 2k over XP? I'm not worried about small differences in benching. Sure 2k could give me a few points but I like XP. I think the blue and green taskbar rocks. It's so much better than the old gray stuff. I did change the Start Menu back to the old style though. Anyway, it's good enough performance and the features I like better than 2k so I'll probably stick with XP... although I'll probably end up having to buy a 2nd copy when I get my new system built because of the damn Activation thing...

Svenn
07-15-2002, 08:31 AM
Honestly, I think if all the software out there was supported in Linux, most any person into computers would switch... With the GUIs for Linux and things, it's really easy, but with more control over everything than windows. I actually don't have much Linux experience, but I can say when I get my new system, I'm raiding 2 x 120 WD 8MB Cache Hard Drives and Dual Booting XP and Linux.

dmitriyaz
07-15-2002, 08:35 AM
yeah...if only Linux had...
i hate microsoft with all my heart and soul, and don't want to support their products.
even if i get them free.
i too would switch to Linux, but its still kind of young...
so i piss on my concience and continue using XP. :toast:

Svenn
07-15-2002, 08:41 AM
Yeah, if only this works (http://www.winehq.com) then we might be closer to a better OS... I'll be testing that out when I get my new comp and Linux installed...
EDIT: LOL, well I guess we are screwed, I couldn't even get the URL to work ;)

dmitriyaz
07-15-2002, 08:45 AM
hehe yeah...checked that out,
does it really work though?
are there any "side effects" to that?
interesting, i never heard of it before.

Svenn
07-15-2002, 08:51 AM
Don't know if it works or not... like I said, I'll be testing it when I get my new system and Linux installed. I'll let you know how it works out...

dmitriyaz
07-15-2002, 08:53 AM
ok...look at that, my post has been deleted. :rolleyes:

jmke
07-17-2002, 03:41 AM
Windows 2000 + SP2 = great performance

for general desktop work nothing beats W2k(sp2)