PDA

View Full Version : Flash Voyager GT 2GB shows no files under Explorer

Omastar
10-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Here's the story: I went into english class today, had to get a file off my flash drive, plugged it in to the front panel USB port on the Dell Optiplex in front of me. Grabbed the file, and started Gaim Portable for the hell of it, and I get an "gaim portable.exe has encountered an error and must close" message, so I close it.

After this, I navigate to the drive and nothing shows up at all. It says 0 folders, 0 bytes, however when I click Properties I can clearly see there's 124MB worth of stuff on the drive. I downloaded some data recovery program and it does clearly show all my files still on the drive, I just can't access them. And I don't feel like paying $40-70 to get these files accessible for a one time use.

So what am I looking at here? Did Gaim crashing somehow impact my drive? I don't want to reformat because I have several crucial files on there I'd rather not lose.

Any data recovery apps you can suggest, or does Corsair offer a home-brewed solution for such things? Or is this an issue with the drive itself and not the possibly corrupt file system?

Yellowbeard
11-01-2007, 09:00 AM
It sounds like the crash corrupted the file system or perhaps even the partition info. Can you scan it for errors with the Windows disk utility and see if it can recover them?

Omastar
11-01-2007, 01:29 PM
It sounds like the crash corrupted the file system or perhaps even the partition info. Can you scan it for errors with the Windows disk utility and see if it can recover them?

Did that, didn't have any effect. The files are still non-existent to Windows, but they are on the drive.

Yellowbeard
11-02-2007, 03:19 AM
You may want to try taking a look at it with a DOS based utility. The CHKDSK function on a Windows98 recovery disk mey help.

Omastar
11-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Alright, I'll give that a shot. I actually have the Windows 98 CD and recovery diskette, amazingly. Failing that, what else could I try?

Yellowbeard
11-02-2007, 01:10 PM
You'll probably need to use an actual data recovery tool.

Omastar
11-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Okay. I guess I may very well end up back at square one and download a recovery tool, shell out the money and be done with it.