PDA

View Full Version : cannot decide on games i want to buy

Lev
10-28-2007, 08:25 AM
ok, so i really cannot decide on what fpses i should play for multiplayer, i currently play CSS and FF(hl2 mod, <3 it, not enough servers), i quit bf2 cuz im tired of horrible hitboxes(sometimes you hit a guy in the head and it doesnt register) and im currently playing ut3 demo as well.

UT3 seems very nice, but im not really interested in vehicle ctf, and im not sure how the player map making will work, in fact i don't even know if there is going to be a non vehicle ctf mode?, what about bombing run and all those other cool modes i loved before? i really want to play them. i'm concerned because ut3 seems like it is tailored to consoles

i don't know if i can run crysis on medium settings on my comp, btw i cannot live without lower then 60 fps for multiplayer

I have to pick a game between COD4, UT3, Crysis, and TF2 for multiplayer.

If i pick UT3 i will still be playing source as a tactical shooter( i know some of you don't consider it one, but it really is when you're competitive )

If i pick Crysis I will be stuck playing fortress forever or source gungame dm as a twitch shooter.

so has anybody played more then one of these games to compare them? the graphics in TF2 turn me off, but people say the gameplay is very fluid, but im leaning to UT3 over TF2

tbh i don't really know what TF2 or COD4 are like at all, how much twitch or tactics they are.

now for MMORPG, i really want to get into a new RPG that is not a huge gearfest, WoW was one, and i only quit after i was R14, i :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing had a 3gpa sophomore year in highschool because of it. I really love MMOpvp and the only 2 things to satisfy me atm is Dark Messiah multiplayer, which is super twitch pvp, and not enough thinking AND DotA - which is kind of different

i really enjoyed UO, but have never played guildwars, the few things i loved about WoW pvp is the class balance, the role each person had in the fight, the requirement for knowledge of the game to do well, and most of all the fluidness of the game.

I tried to get into EQ2 but its just twink pvp and the real pvp sucks, i had like 3 lvl 22 twinks then quit after getting destroyer on each.

can someone suggest me a good PVP mmo? maybe i should wait until WAR, or maybe pickup Fury or GW? any thoughts?

now for RTS,

i really enjoy playing Warcraft 3, i really love the strategy involved, and the micromanaging is perfect. i don't really know WHY i love it but it just feels right, the hero system is great - thats one thing i do know

i really think it is time for a new RTS for me, ive tried supcom and the games just last WAYYY too long, im not interested in CNC3, starcraft 2 looks awesome - i loved starcraft but it seems just too far away.

what new RTS do you guys recommend for me?

Charles Wirth
10-28-2007, 08:40 AM
LOTR online for MMORPG it is far less grinding and plenty of eye candy.

I like Enemy Territory, so far its pretty decent. I am hoping that Timeshift will be good.

Finished Bioshock, CoD, MoH, World in Conflict, to name a few recent good single player games. MoH is a bit short, might want to skip that one if you are on a budget.

Soulburner
10-28-2007, 08:50 AM
RTS right now - Command & Conquer 3, Supreme Commander, and World in Conflict.

In the future, Starcraft 2 looks very promising.

RPG - Does it have to be MMO? If not, check out Titan Quest or Neverwinter Nights 2. If it has to be an MMO I can't help you there - I made myself sell off everything and quit because it was controlling all of my time. In my opinion, if you get into one of these, you won't have time for any of these other games you are talking about.

FPS - COD4 for multiplayer modern day tactical warfare, UT3 for your futuristic fragfest, and Crysis for your next-gen tropical island exploits.

jmmtn4aj
10-28-2007, 10:37 AM
A big TF2 fan here :D But I have to say the art style of the game plays a big part in whether you like it or not. So if you don't like the style, I wouldn't recommend it..

Soulburner, no headphone amplifier? :D

Paladin
10-28-2007, 11:30 AM
But I have to say the art style of the game plays a big part in whether you like it or not. So if you don't like the style, I wouldn't recommend it..

100% agree with that. I feel it's a bit early in the 3D game life-cycle to make a flat-shaded "retro" look like TF2.

Soulburner
10-28-2007, 12:03 PM
A big TF2 fan here :D But I have to say the art style of the game plays a big part in whether you like it or not. So if you don't like the style, I wouldn't recommend it..

Soulburner, no headphone amplifier? :D
It's my understanding the AD900's won't really need one with this setup?

Lev
10-28-2007, 01:18 PM
i played lotro beta and thought it was kind of lame, and there is no pvp, which is what i want anyways, people keep saying ET sucks,

CNC3 and supcom are not for me, and world in conflict seems like it is sort of dumbed down - i mean you dont even build anything you just get right to it - according to a friend at least

i guess i wont be getting TF2 then

and no soulburner you dont need a headphone amp for those, and if for some reason you will - just build a cmoy, it will be fine.

adamsleath
10-28-2007, 02:00 PM
i like coh for rts.
& there's the new expansion to that...

i was sick of wic by the end of the demo...same with c&c3

cod4 looks like a bit of an uber bf2 to me. and worth checking.

personaly was a fan of the whole tf thing and tf2 is about as good as tf gets imo.

farcry 2 is too far away but definitely i want it.

i'd like more games with destructible environments...especially in fps first person.

stimpson
10-28-2007, 02:09 PM
has anybody here tried insurgency its a hl2 mod. so its free witha copy of any source game. i personaly think it may be one of the finest fps

ExodusC
10-28-2007, 02:15 PM
I have to pick a game between COD4, UT3, Crysis, and TF2 for multiplayer.
I haven't played Call of Duty 4, Unreal Tournament 3, or Crysis, although Crysis looks decent. I might try Unreal Tournament 3 as well.

now for MMORPG, i really want to get into a new RPG that is not a huge gearfest
You could try EVE Online, I played it for a while, it's fun if you have friends to play it with. Honestly, there aren't many good MMORPGs out right now, unless you want to get into some older MMORPGs.[/quote]

what new RTS do you guys recommend for me?
You could try Dawn of War or Company of Heroes. Both of those are great fun.

Lev
10-28-2007, 02:21 PM
i just chcked out COH, looks good but im not sure im willing to replace WRc3 with it, for MMOPVP i guess i will stick to dota
i definitely wont be picking up dawn of war because it isnt much newer then wrc3

for fps im probably going to pick up UT3 now, i will as soon as someone confirms CTF non vehicle, and map making capabilities
i will keep playing source and fortressforever(HL2 mod, <3 it)

COD4 has caught my interests, but UT3 is more probable, i will compare the reviews.

seems like wrc3(dota and norm), CSS(with the promod if that ever comes out of beta), FF, and one of those 2 new fps games(ut3 or cod4) are what i will be playing for the next few months

Soulburner
10-28-2007, 03:00 PM
cod4 looks like a bit of an uber bf2 to me. and worth checking.
Let's just say that the Call of Duty franchise is nothing like BF2 and shouldn't even be compared.

Check out the demo...

Lev
10-28-2007, 05:55 PM
are you saying COD is > BF? or the other way around?

personally i think COD>BF

COD4 may rock but it has some stupid things, like last stand? i mean wtf? thats so dumb imo, you shoot a guy in the chest and he drops and pulls a pistol?

adamsleath
10-28-2007, 06:09 PM
mmm just played the demo...
certainly good for a cod game.
improved graphics/fire effects.
id say it would be v easy to die if there is a multiplayer ...but i always say that :/

x1950pro struggles a bit at good settings...in demo.

are there other games like it?
:shrug: :rolleyes: :eh:

graphics ante is upped a bit more i suppose. i wunda how long the single player lasts.

crysis is the real drawcard for graphics wow.
if you liked the previous ut's then ut3 would be a must wouldnt it?
ut has always felt to me like an arcade game...whereas cod tries for more "realism"
after shock effects etc.

WRc3wot game is this?

Soulburner
10-28-2007, 06:12 PM
are you saying COD is > BF? or the other way around?

personally i think COD>BF

COD4 may rock but it has some stupid things, like last stand? i mean wtf? thats so dumb imo, you shoot a guy in the chest and he drops and pulls a pistol?
Yes Call of Duty is way ahead of Battlefield in terms of gameplay, at least in my opinion. Others may have their own but CoD just puts you "in the game" better.

adamsleath
10-28-2007, 06:32 PM
mmm but i preferred bf2/2142 multiplayer to the earlier cod multiplayers.

y is that?
i think it was bcause cod was bogged down with too much realistic movement and had stumpy looking dudes :hehe: and bf2 was freed up a bit more on movement while retaining some realistic quality...whereas ut is on steroids and is completely no realism...that's wot i think.
dloading crysis demo now :D

...and as far as the modern combat theme of bf2 and cod4...they are identical themes imo. that's why i compare them.

cod4 is a good single player game...but once completed it sits on the shelf (maybe?)...atleast the first cod games did for me

maybe cod 4 will make a good multiplayer game.

Jass
10-28-2007, 06:56 PM
You can't go wrong with the Orange Box. Episode 2 is amazing. Portal is short, but I think it has one of the best endings of all games :)
And for Team Fortress 2, I didn't like the graphics either, because I prefer games to be realistic such as Counter Strike Source, although it is so MUCH fun compared to CSS. Doesn't really take too much skill but a whole lot of teamwork.

KoHaN69
10-28-2007, 07:05 PM
orange box

tux08902
10-28-2007, 07:24 PM
You definitely need to get TF2. It is an amazing game with unlimited replay value.

Darth_Penguin
10-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Ive been lurking here for a few weeks trying to figure out what thread is going to recieve my 1st post... and well, I found it :D

As of right now I currently have the UT3 Demo, Crysis single player demo, and the COD4 demo installed on my machine. I also have retail copies of TF2, and BF2 running as well.

Ill try to address each game from what I have seen and played.

UT3 - Installed a few days ago. Man, brings back my memories of playing the original UT back in '98 or so. Online play seems pretty solid for this game. Deathmatch is super faced paced even more so than i remember it. graphics look great and games runs smooth. My biggest complaint is the stupid vehicle CTF. if there was going to be something to keep me from buying this it would be this. The vehicles just take away from the game imo.

Crysis Demo - Most anticipated game of the year? graphics looks great. Models looks super accurate. single player game play seems pretty good although i feel as if it could get a little repiticious after a while. I played the online demo at a buddies house and wasnt overly impressed with the gameplay. I will say though, the single most impressive thing about this game is your interaction with the surrounding enviornment. its simply amazing and might be the reason i end up buying this game anyway.

COD4 - Man, this game is like BF2 and UT3 team deathmatch combined! For a modern warfare FPS this game plays a lot like UT3 with how faced paced it is. Graphics are deffinetly a notch above that of BF2, models looks great in the game. I dont know what the multiplayer aspect will be like but if they can come close to bf2 on it, cod4 will be a winner.

TF2 - Well, well, well... I hated on this game and its cartoon style graphics when i first saw it. But, TF2 is really like the ugly duck that you eventually love. Now that I play it on a consistent basis I have to say, it is without a doubt some of the most fun ive had playing a video game. While the graphics are what some will say as silly, the game still looks great and plays smooth as anything i have seen. and what it might lack in seriousness its certainly makes up for in game play. The only gripe i have is there are one a few maps right now out for it. Although, the beauty of TF2 is the endless options with custom maps which are already flooding servers.

BF2 - Last and certainly not least. My favorite game to this point. Hands down there is nothing that comes close to BF2 in terms of Online play. anyone that hasnt played it needs to spend the $10 for it and the $15 for the special forces expansion pack right now. there is something to be said about being in a server with 63 other people from around the world trying to capture an enemies flag, while a dogfight is going on in the air above you, while 2 helicopters are battling it out, while a tank is being hit with artillery at another flag across the map... All while happening at the same time. its just great, on so many levels.

if I had to pick id say TF2 without a doubt for the shear enjoyment you will get out of it and BF2 if you dont already own it.

Id wait to see what COD4 online play is going to be like as well as Crysis before jumping the gun. As with UT3, if you played and loved the first 2 than i assume this is something you should probably buy anyway. :)

Hope I helped more than confused

ocmyface
10-28-2007, 10:30 PM
no doubt TF2 is one of the greatest multiplayer games ever... it has a comical atmosphere but it is one of the most in-depth multiplayer games i've ever played. between the 9 different classes EVERYONE can find something about it they enjoy. the game never gets old, and custom maps are coming out left and right and the SDK hasn't even been released yet

it might look "Cartoony" but the look and feel of the game is wonderfully done. it's just an all around slick game... you really can't go wrong with orange box

Soulburner
10-29-2007, 02:25 AM
mmm but i preferred bf2/2142 multiplayer to the earlier cod multiplayers.

y is that?
i think it was bcause cod was bogged down with too much realistic movement and had stumpy looking dudes :hehe: and bf2 was freed up a bit more on movement while retaining some realistic quality...whereas ut is on steroids and is completely no realism...that's wot i think.
dloading crysis demo now :D

...and as far as the modern combat theme of bf2 and cod4...they are identical themes imo. that's why i compare them.

cod4 is a good single player game...but once completed it sits on the shelf (maybe?)...atleast the first cod games did for me

maybe cod 4 will make a good multiplayer game.
I think the thing that ruins it for me is the gunplay. It is just done much, much better in CoD4 and there is a feel to the controls and the use of the weapons that just wasn't done right in BF2. Don't get me wrong, it is a good game, it just feels lifeless in comparison.

Lev
10-29-2007, 12:51 PM
the #1 thing for me in fps games that are semi realistic is hitboxes, if the hitboxes are messed up - im not willing to play the game - this is why i quit bf2

im dling the demos for COD4 and Crysis, ive decided on not playin TF2 even though many like it - its just too weird - and seeing as tf2 is quite fast paced and ive played ut3 if i had to pick between the 2 ut3 hands down.
i recently heard that nonvehicle ctf WILL be in the game, bombing run and domination wont. people will just make the maps though because it does include a mapmaker

i will most likely be buying UT3 + COD4 or UT3 + Crysis, i have to see the review before i take the plunge.

hell i may even just go the poor way and get red orchestra instead of cod4 and crysis - i have a lot of friends who still play it - and it seems very nice

Lev
10-29-2007, 12:52 PM
oh, and anyone recommend a keyboard(doesnt neccessarily have to be a a gaming board) that has very quick keypress and response time? im tired of my clunky dell keyboard and my nostromo n52 really has hard keypresses - fine for CSS and some other games - but not faster ones

tux08902
10-29-2007, 01:11 PM
I don't understand why people always :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: about TF2's graphical style. It shouldn't be done any other way because any other style wouldn't have suited the game this well. TF2, by itself, is a very lighthearted game concept. Making it realistic would've taken away from some of that lightheartedness and the fun.

GameGuru
10-29-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't understand why people always :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: about TF2's graphical style. It shouldn't be done any other way because any other style wouldn't have suited the game this well. TF2, by itself, is a very lighthearted game concept. Making it realistic would've taken away from some of that lightheartedness and the fun.

Second that, all the way. Realistic models would definitely take away from the overall game for sure.

adamsleath
10-29-2007, 01:46 PM
ive had a gutfull of bf2/2142 anyways..:) but i did play it for a long time.

both crysis and cod 4 have upped the graphics ante.

i think crysis has larger maps than cod4 :shrug:

i may get both...but if i had to choose id go crysis for its freedom of movement. (ie in maps) & sheer graphics wow factor....but you surely need the best g card you can afford to get the most out of it. also cool in crysis is the day night cycle...butterflies...lots of foliage detail, great opponent detail (although i hate the noises those orientals make and i want them to die just to shut them up:lol:)

erum multiplayer crysis ? :nuts: :confused:

what is ut3 like to run graphics wise? im close to my dload limit this month and have to wait for off peak after midnight to dload :( changed plans yesterday for next month :woot:

i suppose ut 3 will have a huge multiplayer community.

Lev
10-29-2007, 03:37 PM
ut3 looks amazing and even though the demo has no AA, i dont see any jaggies unless i really focus in on them, i really think UT3 looks great and smooth fps (seems like 60 but i have not chcked) at great settings(or atleast what i consider great, like the 2nd highest in the demo, i think i have 5 detail but not the maximum rendering - set to intense or whatever the one below max is, looks great.

Lev
10-29-2007, 03:39 PM
ugh guys i think you forgot about the original TF and the other ones before TF2. none of them look cartoonish, you could have made a similar style with better textures aa smoother animations and it would be great. i just dont like how LIGHT tf2 is, the other TF games all seem sort of dark but at the same time cool

Darth_Penguin
10-29-2007, 04:18 PM
ugh guys i think you forgot about the original TF and the other ones before TF2. none of them look cartoonish, you could have made a similar style with better textures aa smoother animations and it would be great. i just dont like how LIGHT tf2 is, the other TF games all seem sort of dark but at the same time cool

well I guess valve was going for something different and frankly I think they won with this approach. there are so many of the FPS deathmatch kind of games out there nowadays that this change of pace makes it great. And like others said while the graphical style may be dumbed down the game still plays great. you wouldnt believe the amount of actual strategy that comes into play with this game.

Soulburner
10-29-2007, 04:28 PM
ut3 looks amazing and even though the demo has no AA, i dont see any jaggies unless i really focus in on them, i really think UT3 looks great and smooth fps (seems like 60 but i have not chcked) at great settings(or atleast what i consider great, like the 2nd highest in the demo, i think i have 5 detail but not the maximum rendering - set to intense or whatever the one below max is, looks great.
Yeah the Unreal 3 engine just seems to run real well on a lot of systems and doesn't show aliasing nearly as much as most engines (Crytek's engines for example, really could use some AA).

Lev
10-31-2007, 05:50 PM
ive decided on UT3 and no cod4/ro but maybe still crysis

im probably going to make this rig a ut3 rig for its life though. im really addicted to it now............ and i mean REALLY addicted. need a fast keyboard and a better mousepad, i have an xtrac ripper xl, can someone recommend me a plastic FAST LARGE pad that LASTS?

tbone8ty
10-31-2007, 06:00 PM
i just pre ordered gears of war.

i havent played it on xbox360 so im excited to play it on PC.

i thought about crysis or call of duty 4 but illl jsut wait for those after i beat gears of war.

i seemed more excited about getting gears of war.

plus it was the only game i wanted that didnt have a demo out for pc