PDA

View Full Version : Heat Problem

XWZ
10-28-2007, 05:17 AM
Hi there, I do have some heat problem with my AMD Athlon AM2 64X2 6000+, attach to a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe MB, the HSF that I am using is the one that came with the CPU so I would think that everything should be OK, I can not run 3DMARK 06 system keep shutting down over 65C that’s with no OC, the other problem that I have is the temp reading that I get with 3 different software. Hope somebody can help with this.

PC Probe2
CPU 50C
MB 35C
VCORE 1.44

CORE TEMP 0.95V
CORE 0 42C
CORE 1 45C
VCORE 1.40

BIOS TEMP
CPU 53C
MB 36C

biohead
10-28-2007, 05:29 AM
ouch. do you have any thermal paste between heatsink and CPU?

XWZ
10-28-2007, 05:42 AM
ouch. do you have any thermal paste between heatsink and CPU?

Yes,,,,,it came with the kit already pre- apply.Can I screw that up??????
Learning alot from this Forum, thank god for problems only way to learn.

Psycho_eddie
10-28-2007, 06:08 AM
Recomended max Temps for Amd 6000 X2 is 63C... if you are going over this might lead to perm damage to chip..

Stock HSF are crap, is why thr 6400BE doesnt even come supplied with one...

You have a choice, get hammer to your PC as its annoying :rofl:

Or buy:

Tuniq Tower 120 (Best for plug in and play.. comes with high RPM fan)

Or Thermalright 120 Extreme, but you will have to get your own fan...

Tuniq tower is perfectly adiquate unless you have really high RPM fan on Thermalright which would make getting the Thermalright worthwhile!

Core temp is most reiable temp source :D

BrowncoatGR
10-28-2007, 06:19 AM
Lets no exaggerate. The cooler with the heatpipes that AMD supplies with the highend models is decent and certainly adequate at stock speeds. Sounds like a bad mount to me. BTW coretemps readings should be more accurate than your motherboards. Another factor possibly affecting CPU cooling could be bad case airflow. Try running the benchmark with the case open to see what happens.

XWZ
10-28-2007, 06:31 AM
Lets no exaggerate. The cooler with the heatpipes that AMD supplies with the highend models is decent and certainly adequate at stock speeds. Sounds like a bad mount to me. BTW coretemps readings should be more accurate than your motherboards. Another factor possibly affecting CPU cooling could be bad case airflow. Try running the benchmark with the case open to see what happens.

Thanks for the info Brown,

I am running with the case open right now, but still have CPU high heat, so maybe I will remove the cooler and try again ( need to get paste first )

Case inside temp is around 28C right now with panel removed.
I have also 3 x 80 mm fan install 1x back 1x top 1x front came with the case
Aspire x- plorer. Thanks again

Calmatory
10-28-2007, 06:45 AM
What about taking all the stuff out from the case, put the motherboard on the table, with PSU and harddrives etc. Everything without the case.

Then start the 3DMark, try to touch the CPU heatsink, and try to figure out if it is really around that 60C. If it is feeling quite cool, it is surely a bad mount. Remounting with new thermal paste will help, just remember to clean the old pre-attached paste off from both the CPU and Heatsink.

Another thing which would help is lapping the Heatsink, and/or CPU aswell. When Heatsinks and heatspreaders are manufactured, they are not completely flat. Due to that, the contact with CPU heatspreader and Heatsink may not be the best possible. Without any termal paste, there will be some air between heatsink and heatspreader, which is not good heat conductor, thus the heatsink won't cool the CPU very well.

With lapping, you try to flatten the CPU heatspreader and heatsink so they will fit better, without any bumps between. The less there are bumps, and the smaller they are, the better. In theory, if two materials are perfectly flat, the thermal paste will just make things worse. How to lap? There is thread about it in XSF, and google will help alot aswell, if you decide to try it. Just remember that you void the CPU warranty if you decide to touch it with something like sandpaper. ;D

Psycho_eddie
10-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Less faff we know Amd Stock cooler as with all stock cooler's are pants with higher clocked models..

Get yourself Tuniq Tower 120 or Thermalright 120Extreme ethier would lower temps to 40's in load...

64dragon
10-28-2007, 07:16 AM
i wouldnt trust pc probe, i used it in the past and it was flaky. core temp is probably giving you the most accurate readings.

XWZ
10-28-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks everybody for your info, will post back result when i'm done. Regards

STEvil
10-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Touch heatsink, if its really 60c+ you will burn your finger if you leave it on too long.

XWZ
10-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Re-install and apply new paste

PC Probe2
CPU 50C 37C
MB 35C 30C
VCORE 1.44 same

CORE TEMP 0.95V
CORE 0 42C 32C
CORE 1 45C 37C
VCORE 1.40 Same

BIOS TEMP
CPU 53C 40C
MB 36C 30C

SnipingWaste
10-28-2007, 02:20 PM
How hot is the chipset getting? The motherboard temp/system temp is not reading the chipset on this motherboard. Can you keep you finger on the motherboard chipset? This motherboard has a problem with overheating on the chipset and the chipset can hit 80C and up on this motherboard. The cooler on it realy sucks so if its getting to hot then try to find a chipset cooler that can fit on it or get another motherboard (not a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe).

XWZ
10-28-2007, 06:14 PM
How hot is the chipset getting? The motherboard temp/system temp is not reading the chipset on this motherboard. Can you keep you finger on the motherboard chipset? This motherboard has a problem with overheating on the chipset and the chipset can hit 80C and up on this motherboard. The cooler on it realy sucks so if its getting to hot then try to find a chipset cooler that can fit on it or get another motherboard (not a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe).

Chipset since to be warm not hot to the touch.

Calmatory
10-29-2007, 02:30 AM
So the CPU temp issue got fixed? ;) So the problem was the contact between IHS and HSF.

XWZ
10-29-2007, 07:26 AM
So the CPU temp issue got fixed? ;) So the problem was the contact between IHS and HSF.

Yes it was,,,,when i took the fan off i could see in the middle of the cpu that no contact in a large area. the funny part about this is that this fan came with paste already install so the only thing i had to do is attach firmly to CPU.
So i did buy a new Fan anyway and apply paste as per instrution from the manufacturer. Thanks again

SnipingWaste
10-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Chipset since to be warm not hot to the touch.
Thats good to hear. A lot of ppl have problems of the chipset overheating on the motherboard so your in good shape.

BrowncoatGR
10-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Good to see you solved your problems Did you replace the cooler after all?

XWZ
10-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Good to see you solved your problems Did you replace the cooler after all?

Yes I did replace the cooler, did not want take a chance again.Thanks Brown