PDA

View Full Version : P5K Premium issue

thefiddler
10-23-2007, 07:40 AM
Hey people!

I already posted this message, but it was somehow buried into the P5K Premium testing report, and as I'm quite stuck with those issues, I prefered to open a new thread instead.

So, the problem is I keep getting errors. Not that often, but it's annoying. Most of the time, the computer slows down, and here are the errors showing up in the Event Viewer:

1. "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."
2. "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation." (usually shows up 5 to 10 times at once)

Sometimes, the computer just makes a BSOD instead of slowing down. After the BSODs, here's what the Event Viewer tells me:

1. "Error code 00000077, parameter1 00000001, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 a44d1d24." (after first BSOD)
2. "Error code 00008086, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000." (after second BSOD)

All of those errors and BSODs happened while I was copying/moving large files from one partition/drive to another.

Here's my actual setup:
- P5K Premium (BIOS 0402 beta, rev 2.00g)
- Core 2 Quad Q6600 (G0)
- Corsair DDR2-8500C5D (2x 1GB)
- Seasonic S12+ 550w PSU
- SEAGATE 7200.10 320GB (x2 - model ST3320620AS - SATA2 enabled) in AHCI mode

Intel Chispet Driver version installed is: 8.3.1.1009
Intel Matrix Storage version installed is: 7.6.0.1011

What I already did:
- checked that the mobo's BIOS was updated correctly.
- ran SeaTools on both harddrives: both of them passed all tests (except destructive ones, which I didn't run).
- ran Memtest 1.70, made 22 passes successfully.
- disabled LPM technology by renaming its registry key, didn't make any change [EDIT]
- activated Marvell Yukon LAN adapter in Windows, didn't make any change [EDIT]
- disabled the Marvell Yukon LAN adapter in the BIOS, no effect [EDIT]
- upped the RAM voltage a bit to the spec voltage (2.1v), didn't help [EDIT]

I don't know what's wrong. If any of you have an idea on how to fix this problems or at least how to point at the defective part, that would be great :)

Thanks!

thefiddler
10-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Btw, Sesdave pointed out a possible fix by disabling "LPM".
Didn't try it yet, but will do soon.

Leeghoofd
10-23-2007, 08:11 AM
The known S-ATA Bug ? I thought with the latest bios most HD issues were resolved just the Samsung still had some issues :( Hope the LPM solves it

thefiddler
10-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Well, unfortunately, it seems that disabling the LPM didn't fix the issue.

The Event Viewer didn't show any iaStor error this time, but still I had a BSOD while trying to move a large file from one HDD to another.

(BSOD error code is "Error code 00008086, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.")

sesdave
10-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Well, unfortunately, it seems that disabling the LPM didn't fix the issue.

The Event Viewer didn't show any iaStor error this time, but still I had a BSOD while trying to move a large file from one HDD to another.

(BSOD error code is "Error code 00008086, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.")

You are not alone by the way - a google finds a host of others with similar problems . The common factor is use of ICHxR controller and either AHCI or RAID e.g http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/12946/?o=480
Well at least the iastor message has gone. Was it the lastest AHCI sata driver you loaded when you installed XP?. Try running in IDE and see if it goes as an interim measure until the cause is found - it may be driver related. Did you add any additional card to your machine or usb drive about the time this started happening - It would be prudent to get a higher spec PSU e.g 700w -especially as u a running a q6600 and 8800GTX with this MB and the 550w probably hasnt got a future MB life.

Xvys
10-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Whenever I get BSOD or screen lockups, resetting the ram to default Cas timings (5-5-5-18) and/or upping the vDimm a notch, solved the problem...even though it passed MemTest before.

thefiddler
10-24-2007, 10:39 AM
You are not alone by the way - a google finds a host of others with similar problems . The common factor is use of ICHxR controller and either AHCI or RAID e.g http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/12946/?o=480
Well at least the iastor message has gone. Was it the lastest AHCI sata driver you loaded when you installed XP?. Try running in IDE and see if it goes as an interim measure until the cause is found - it may be driver related. Did you add any additional card to your machine or usb drive about the time this started happening - It would be prudent to get a higher spec PSU e.g 700w -especially as u a running a q6600 and 8800GTX with this MB and the 550w probably hasnt got a future MB life.

Yeah, I guess I'm not alone. What I'm trying to figure out is if my P5K Premium is the source of my issues or if something else is.

My issue might - I guess - be the infamous issue that many P5K Premium users are experiencing. Although Seagate users usually don't have that issue with the P5K Premium, which is why I really can't be sure about it. Unfortunately, I ain't got the money to buy another motherboard, swap with my P5K Premium and see if the problem goes away.

I installed latest AHCI drivers from Intel's website when installing Windows XP, yes.

The issue started after I installed my new P5K Premium and reinstalled WindowsXP with it. The harddrives were bright new as well. Nothing else changed in my hardware.

Changing the PSU is one of the last options I might consider, since most test and reviews I read said 550w should be enough for about any configuration... as long as there's no SLI/CrossFire.

I'll try switching from AHCI mode to IDE, at least to see if it fixes the problem or not. May I do that without reinstalling Windows XP, btw?

Whenever I get BSOD or screen lockups, resetting the ram to default Cas timings (5-5-5-18) and/or upping the vDimm a notch, solved the problem...even though it passed MemTest before.

Thanks Xvys.
Actually, the RAM is already on default timings (5-5-5-15 @ 800MHz - it's supposed to work at 5-5-5-15 @ 1066MHz). I might try upping the RAM voltage a bit, though, think it's on auto right now.

thefiddler
10-24-2007, 03:59 PM
I also read an article about problems of the same type encountered on 965P motherboards with the Marvell Yukon onboard LAN adapter, which is the same on the more recent P5K Premium.

Users that had that problem did update the firmware of the Yukon adapter to fix the problem, or simply activated the adapter under windows (looks like it was causing problems mainly when disabled). I tried activating it, since I had it disabled since day one: doesn't change anything.

Now, the messages about this problem related to Yukon's adapter were from months ago, so I guess this problem has been fixed by now, and I can't find any firmware upgrade to this adapter anymore...

sesdave
10-25-2007, 12:58 AM
I also read an article about problems of the same type encountered on 965P motherboards with the Marvell Yukon onboard LAN adapter, which is the same on the more recent P5K Premium.

Users that had that problem did update the firmware of the Yukon adapter to fix the problem, or simply activated the adapter under windows (looks like it was causing problems mainly when disabled). I tried activating it, since I had it disabled since day one: doesn't change anything.

Now, the messages about this problem related to Yukon's adapter were from months ago, so I guess this problem has been fixed by now, and I can't find any firmware upgrade to this adapter anymore...

Found a suggestion to try attaching to port sata 3-5. http://www.flyingnerd.com/intel-raid-problem-under-windows-vista/ The thread author also suggests the problems is mainly with maxtorr/seagate drives attached to the controller - cant think why that would be the case ! I know this mainly refers to vista but if you read the whole post there are people with Winxp having the same problem. There is one 'Dissapointed Asus user' exact same propblems on a premium -always works in IDE mode okay but that means no AHCI or RAID -ever..
Time to consider an RMA of the board on the basis it has a spurious controller fault because whilst there are a lot of people encountering these problems - there are a lot more who arent. You know your drives, memory and CPU are okay - that only leaves the board cotroller. May be a duff batch We are all using the same drivers so there is no aurgument. So why should you have to find a workaround or have a drive restriction - you could try changing your drives as some have done but why should you if the work okay. RMA my friend!

thefiddler
10-26-2007, 02:37 AM
Found a suggestion to try attaching to port sata 3-5. http://www.flyingnerd.com/intel-raid-problem-under-windows-vista/ The thread author also suggests the problems is mainly with maxtorr/seagate drives attached to the controller - cant think why that would be the case ! I know this mainly refers to vista but if you read the whole post there are people with Winxp having the same problem. There is one 'Dissapointed Asus user' exact same propblems on a premium -always works in IDE mode okay but that means no AHCI or RAID -ever..
Time to consider an RMA of the board on the basis it has a spurious controller fault because whilst there are a lot of people encountering these problems - there are a lot more who arent. You know your drives, memory and CPU are okay - that only leaves the board cotroller. May be a duff batch We are all using the same drivers so there is no aurgument. So why should you have to find a workaround or have a drive restriction - you could try changing your drives as some have done but why should you if the work okay. RMA my friend!

Hey!

Soooo, I also tried disabling the Marvell Yukon LAN adapter completely in the BIOS, since I read there could be problems with -probably old- firmwares of it resulting in the same errors as I get. That didn't help.

I also tried upping a bit the RAM voltage to 2.1v, which is the spec voltage, didn't help neither.

The last time I had the errors, which is five minutes ago, no iaStor error showed up, but still 18 (no typo here, 18) warnings saying "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation"...

I guess those warnings are not normal neither, and shouldn't be happening.

Now, the problem is that the shop where I bought the mobo doesn't want to exchange it for another P5K Premium. As they have a lot of problems with these, the only thing they offer is to swap it for a P5K-E, which isn't as good in overclocking (which I planned to do after the issues are resolved). So, I don't know what to do.

I'll also try to connect the harddrives to ports 3 to 5 on the mobo, change SATA cables, eventually try limiting the drives to SATA1 to see if it works better or not. In any case, I agree that I shouldn't have those problems with such a high-end board...

thefiddler
10-26-2007, 02:55 AM
I also noticed the iaStor error were mainly showing up if I keep on surfing the web while a large file is being copied/moved from one drive/partition to another... yeah, talk about multi-tasking.

thefiddler
10-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Well, I still have to try using SATA ports 3-5 before giving up, but I'm beginning to wonder which mobo I could buy to replace this P5K Premium.

I'm doing multimedia work as well as games with this computer, I'd like to overclock my Q6600 (G0), and I'm using single-GFX card configuration and do not plan on using CrossFire or SLI. I need RAID capabilities.

I guess my choices are:
- Asus P5K Premium (and hope it'll be better?)
- Asus P5K-E /Wifi-AP
- Abit IP35-Pro
- Gigabyte P35-DQ6
- Gigabyte P35-DS4
- or a X38 board instead?

I just saw many shops here in here Belgium aren't selling the Gigabyte P35-DQ6 anymore... any obvious reason for that?

Any advice would be welcome here. :)

Leeghoofd
10-28-2007, 02:19 AM
They just replace them with X38, also I ordered a P5K DLX for friend , my shop never could get it ( Cloetens main importer doesn't even have them on the list anymore)...

Also I'm pretty happy with my Maximus formula (1.02G there is already a 1.03G), apparently the P5E is practically the same board with less voltage control/temp readout and not the extra bling the Maximus has...but it clocks as good as. Secondly I wouldn'ty go for P35 as the X38 boards are almost the same in price...and on par in performance, just the biosses need to mature a bit more...

I just build a rig with a P35DS4 rev2.0 (other heatpipe design & bios F7 out of the box) , very nice board goes easily up to 400FSB, but I wouldn't go higher on that one for longterm stability... seems a bit less build ( less power mosfets and co) as the DQ6 and Asus DLX boards

Groetjes vanuit Limburg...

sesdave
10-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Hey!

Soooo, I also tried disabling the Marvell Yukon LAN adapter completely in the BIOS, since I read there could be problems with -probably old- firmwares of it resulting in the same errors as I get. That didn't help.

I also tried upping a bit the RAM voltage to 2.1v, which is the spec voltage, didn't help neither.

The last time I had the errors, which is five minutes ago, no iaStor error showed up, but still 18 (no typo here, 18) warnings saying "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation"...

I guess those warnings are not normal neither, and shouldn't be happening.

Now, the problem is that the shop where I bought the mobo doesn't want to exchange it for another P5K Premium. As they have a lot of problems with these, the only thing they offer is to swap it for a P5K-E, which isn't as good in overclocking (which I planned to do after the issues are resolved). So, I don't know what to do.

I'll also try to connect the harddrives to ports 3 to 5 on the mobo, change SATA cables, eventually try limiting the drives to SATA1 to see if it works better or not. In any case, I agree that I shouldn't have those problems with such a high-end board...

Before switching to SATA 1 try switching to IDE as previously mentioned. I wouldn't have thought that you would see that much of a performance difference with IDE against AHCI on your drives.. AHCI and especially RAID 0 look great in HD tune/TACH tests but I have read numerous reports that they make little difference to IDE in real world application loading speeds. ANANDTECH state that there is no benefit from using RAID on the desktop. And since I setup matrix raid0/1 a week ago I have had to do a Vista repair/restore on corrupt registry on RAid 0 and RAID 1 is doing its 3rd verify/repair as I write this. I will probably go back to using seperate SATA drives in IDE myself once I buy a new USB backup drive to copy my data off because it never gave me any problems -ever!.

billdavis
10-28-2007, 05:27 AM
i'm going to try the asus rma system

thefiddler
10-28-2007, 08:14 AM
They just replace them with X38, also I ordered a P5K DLX for friend , my shop never could get it ( Cloetens main importer doesn't even have them on the list anymore)...

(...)

Groetjes vanuit Limburg...

Well, yeah, X38 looks good too.
Though, I read that the X38 chipset wasn't as good an overclocker as the P35, and what makes me hesitate even more is that Intel already plans on replacing the X38 in something like 3 months... :/

Concerning the P5K Deluxe, my usual computer shop told me the Deluxe was actually getting replaced by the Premium. That would be the reason why the Deluxe is disappearing from the vendor's shelves.

Groetjes vanuit Brussels ;)

Before switching to SATA 1 try switching to IDE as previously mentioned. I wouldn't have thought that you would see that much of a performance difference with IDE against AHCI on your drives.. AHCI and especially RAID 0 look great in HD tune/TACH tests but I have read numerous reports that they make little difference to IDE in real world application loading speeds.

Yup, I know there's not much differences in usual real world applications.
Though, as this computer is also my workstation for professional multimedia works, I planned on using RAID 0 for media applications and treatment, and RAID 1 for sensitive data.

Even then... buying a RAID board which can't work in RAID mode... sounds disappointing :rolleyes:

sesdave
10-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Yup, I know there's not much differences in usual real world applications.
Though, as this computer is also my workstation for professional multimedia works, I planned on using RAID 0 for media applications and treatment, and RAID 1 for sensitive data.

Even then... buying a RAID board which can't work in RAID mode... sounds disappointing :rolleyes:

Some suggestions
1-If you want to go RAID in future have you tried changing from AHCI and setting up matrix raid0/1 on your 2 drives now - the different driver might remove the problem
2- If problem still persists you could try connecting to the Jmicron controller
3- If problem still persists and you still want to keep the MB and get the best disk performance you could always invest in a PCI-E RAID card and forget using the ICH9R. It means more spend but at least its forward compatible with any MB. That would give you the overclocking capability of the MB and top disk performance.

thefiddler
10-30-2007, 05:30 AM
Hey, thanks again for your advices sesdave :)

Actually, I thought a lot about my issues these last days, even if I didn't have a lot of time to test things out. Days are passing, and I think I should RMA this board.

It looks like it's quite a superb board when it's working, but as days are passing, it gets obvious that I can't get it to work here. That said, spending so much time *trying* to make it work without any guarantee that it will, isn't something I should have to do with a +200$ board.

Moreover, this board had issues since the day it was launched, particularly with its SATA Controller. A lot of people are still having problems with it right now, even after flashing BIOS to version 0402. Although, ASUS still didn't find a strong fix for this, neither did they communicate about it - at all. Trying to contact their technical support was vain for me: they first answered that they were not aware of any problems regarding this board, and then just didn't reply anymore to any of my mails.

So I'm almost sure now I will RMA it and buy another board.

I'm thinking about buying a Gigabyte X38-DQ6. :)

sesdave
10-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Hey, thanks again for your advices sesdave :)

Actually, I thought a lot about my issues these last days, even if I didn't have a lot of time to test things out. Days are passing, and I think I should RMA this board.

It looks like it's quite a superb board when it's working, but as days are passing, it gets obvious that I can't get it to work here. That said, spending so much time *trying* to make it work without any guarantee that it will, isn't something I should have to do with a +200$ board.

Moreover, this board had issues since the day it was launched, particularly with its SATA Controller. A lot of people are still having problems with it right now, even after flashing BIOS to version 0402. Although, ASUS still didn't find a strong fix for this, neither did they communicate about it - at all. Trying to contact their technical support was vain for me: they first answered that they were not aware of any problems regarding this board, and then just didn't reply anymore to any of my mails.

So I'm almost sure now I will RMA it and buy another board.

I'm thinking about buying a Gigabyte X38-DQ6. :)

Yes - I would have RMA'd it after about 2 days of trying to get it to work!.. You have tried everything and it seems its hit or miss if you get a premium that works (like mine-lol!) - This is a nice review of the Gigabyte against the maximus. http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=5306 seem like a good board. From what I have read on the maximus seems pricey and has a lot of little bugs memory compatibility problems etc - needs the bios to mature - that remind you of another board-lol!

thefiddler
10-31-2007, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the link. Indeed, it looks like quite a nice mobo.

I also read many things about the Maximus Formula, and it definitely seems to have a few bugs at the moment as well. The guy at my local computer store even told me the following: "if you don't want to have issues with your motherboard, just don't buy any Asus mobo at the moment".

Unfortunately, the more topics I read, the more I think that about every recent motherboard as problems and bugs... or needs to have a better BIOS. Reading the whole Gigabyte X38-DQ6 let's me think their BIOS isn't pretty mature or stable neither.

Looks like it's not the right time to buy a motherboard, actually - lol :)
Unfortunately, I don't have that choice: I need one!

MIS3
10-31-2007, 05:06 AM
The current issues with Maximus Formula can easily be fixed by a BIOS upgrade. With so many new and old components out there, compatibility issues are inevitable.

On the other hand, the SATA-2 issues with P5K-Premium seem to be hardware related. The way I look at it, this problem was first reported in Asus forum in early August and this is still not fixed today tells me that this is not a simple BIOS fix. Imagine the number of RMA in the last few months and what this does to its good name.

sesdave
10-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the link. Indeed, it looks like quite a nice mobo.

I also read many things about the Maximus Formula, and it definitely seems to have a few bugs at the moment as well. The guy at my local computer store even told me the following: "if you don't want to have issues with your motherboard, just don't buy any Asus mobo at the moment".

Unfortunately, the more topics I read, the more I think that about every recent motherboard as problems and bugs... or needs to have a better BIOS. Reading the whole Gigabyte X38-DQ6 let's me think their BIOS isn't pretty mature or stable neither.

Looks like it's not the right time to buy a motherboard, actually - lol :)
Unfortunately, I don't have that choice: I need one!

You could still get a cheap 2 port PCI-Ex1 RAID card so you can use the MB until the rest mature or next gen are launched - e.g. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CC-025-AD Use that for RAID 0 and you could either RAID 1 or IDE on the jmicron although you would have to buy esata to sata cables and run them in. I still think the ICH9 would be okay to run in IDE if you dont want raid 1.
If you dont want to use or trust these onboard controllers get a PCI-Ex4 4 port raid card e.g http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CC-026-AD&groupid=701&catid=49&subcat= this is a cheap one and you can pay more for better but why bother - you arent running a critical server raid 5 setup -are you? This is MB transferable and should provide better performance than onboard. Hope u werent thinking of crossfire as a 4 port card needs the universal PCI-E slot(second one)

thefiddler
11-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Indeed MIS3, the problem on P5K Premium seems to be hardware related. I guess lots of people would have appreciated Asus communicating about it. Unfortunately they didn't, and people who have issues with their mobo's - and even some of those who don't - feel like Asus isn't concerned enough about their customers.

Actually, that makes me wonder why I should buy another Asus card to replace my P5K Premium. Honestly, I'd really prefer to go for another brand. :/

Sesdave, thanks.
I might consider buying such a card while existing new mobo's are maturing a bit more. I'm still considering Gigabyte's X38-DQ6 though, but I didn't make any decision yet. :)

sesdave
11-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Indeed MIS3, the problem on P5K Premium seems to be hardware related. I guess lots of people would have appreciated Asus communicating about it. Unfortunately they didn't, and people who have issues with their mobo's - and even some of those who don't - feel like Asus isn't concerned enough about their customers.

Actually, that makes me wonder why I should buy another Asus card to replace my P5K Premium. Honestly, I'd really prefer to go for another brand. :/

Sesdave, thanks.
I might consider buying such a card while existing new mobo's are maturing a bit more. I'm still considering Gigabyte's X38-DQ6 though, but I didn't make any decision yet. :)

If you do end up buying the gigabyte make sure you still RMA the premium and sell the replacement on ebay as new- return of cash always eases the pain - lol!

MIS3
11-01-2007, 02:59 PM

Sesdave, thanks.

The problem is we really do not have much choices now.

Only Asus and Gigabyte came out with X38 boards so far and not even the whole lineup. For instance, I am thinking of Maximus Formula but the non-SE version did not come out yet. I do not plan to water-cool my PC and I am not sure if the SE version has adequate cooling in the North Bridge. The other good choice is Abit X38 QuadGT and this one has been delayed again and again.

Actually, I am really surprised of the lack of X38 boards from the other manufacturers. They should know that potential sales have been lost to Gigabyte and Asus because of the delay. Is it possible that all of them have production issues? Is it possible that they might skip X38 chipsets altogether and focus on X48? I read that the X48 chipsets is supposed to be available on Nov-4th from Intel (only the chipsets not the motherboard).

thefiddler: RMA your P5K-Premium when you still can. The fix may never come!

sesdave
11-02-2007, 12:40 AM
yes - Iwouldnt bother with an x38 as the x48 is about to arrive http://www.tcmagazine.info/comments.php?shownews=16497&catid=2. Just stick with the premium - get a card and then RMA it when the x48 hits the stores. Sell the x38 replacement and buy a nice fast x48 (unless you get offered a x48 as the RMA). Asus have to honour the RMA irrespective of a few more months as the board has a fault unless a cure comes up in the interim in which case you will have lost nothing anyway. I will probably sell my Premium with an e6850 and buy an x48 to run the quad if it gets good reports.

thefiddler
11-02-2007, 02:41 AM
If you do end up buying the gigabyte make sure you still RMA the premium and sell the replacement on ebay as new- return of cash always eases the pain - lol!

Of course. Dunno if I'll sell it on eBay, but I'll find an arrangment to have a return of cash, for sure. :)

The problem is we really do not have much choices now.

Only Asus and Gigabyte came out with X38 boards so far and not even the whole lineup. For instance, I am thinking of Maximus Formula but the non-SE version did not come out yet. I do not plan to water-cool my PC and I am not sure if the SE version has adequate cooling in the North Bridge. The other good choice is Abit X38 QuadGT and this one has been delayed again and again.

Actually, I am really surprised of the lack of X38 boards from the other manufacturers. They should know that potential sales have been lost to Gigabyte and Asus because of the delay. Is it possible that all of them have production issues? Is it possible that they might skip X38 chipsets altogether and focus on X48? I read that the X48 chipsets is supposed to be available on Nov-4th from Intel (only the chipsets not the motherboard).

thefiddler: RMA your P5K-Premium when you still can. The fix may never come!

Well, according to news I read recently, it looks like the X48 chipset will be released in early 2008. Though, I also read on multiple computer related websites that for the moment, ASUS haven't got any motherboard based on chipset X48 being developped. Some manufacturers might not use X48 at all?

As for now, all we officially know is that compared to the X38 chipset, the X48 will support FSB 1600 and DDR3-1600, which most X38 motherboards are already supporting. If this is the only difference between X38 and X48, I guess most motherboard manufacturers won't use it at all, or will be using it in a few months without any advantages to it, but as an excuse to sell their boards at higher prices.

Yeah, I'd like to RMA my board as soon as possible, but I need to buy another one before, and I'm hesitating. Gigabyte doesn't speak of any new revision of the X38-DQ6 for now, but that doesn't mean they won't release one in a few weeks, or months... :/

yes - Iwouldnt bother with an x38 as the x48 is about to arrive http://www.tcmagazine.info/comments....=16497&catid=2. Just stick with the premium - get a card and then RMA it when the x48 hits the stores. Sell the x38 replacement and buy a nice fast x48 (unless you get offered a x48 as the RMA). Asus have to honour the RMA irrespective of a few more months as the board has a fault unless a cure comes up in the interim in which case you will have lost nothing anyway. I will probably sell my Premium with an e6850 and buy an x48 to run the quad if it gets good reports.

Ok, so the X48 might be coming sooner than I read during the last weeks.
Though, we still don't know if the X48 will really be better, or if it will only be more expensive :p

sesdave
11-02-2007, 05:52 AM
Ok, so the X48 might be coming sooner than I read during the last weeks.
Though, we still don't know if the X48 will really be better, or if it will only be more expensive :p

It cant be any worse and I would have thought it will kill the x38 sales dead unless its initially priced out by the manufactures so the boards can co-exist for a period while they recoup their investment in the x38 and clear the stock from the shelves.
Intel X48 is essentially X38 chipset but cherry picked so overclockability can be further enhanced. X48 will also officially support FSB1600. The X48 is also to fix the EIST bug present in the X38 chipset that requires motherboard manufacturers to rework their X38 boards - so who will want to buy an x38 when these are available! As it is practically only a chip change on the existing x38 MB there shouldnt be that much price increase http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20071016090317.html. $20 according to this - wonder how that will be refelected in the MB price.

thefiddler
11-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah, wonder when that will finally come out... if Intel releases its X48 in early november, I guess Gigabyte is capable of launching a X48 motherboard by the end of the same month, knowing their X48 board is ready yet...

sesdave
11-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah, wonder when that will finally come out... if Intel releases its X48 in early november, I guess Gigabyte is capable of launching a X48 motherboard by the end of the same month, knowing their X48 board is ready yet...
Buy the cheap card - run with the Premium until the move to x48. Or just run in IDE and save yourself the money. You wont notice that much difference. Its a great board for o/c the quad apart from the sata problems - better or equal to the x38's . From what I have read they are only of benefit if you want to run crossfire and they have a lower FSB ceiling. Bypass the ICH9 problem and its fun. You will still be able to try an RMA when the x48 is launched on the basis you have just tried AHCI/RAID and it wont work - it should have at least 1 years warranty. Gigabyte already have the board ready to launch as soon as intel announce the x48 by the look of these reports.

Just a last thought - if you have been running on auto have you tried upping the southbridge volts to 1.2?

thefiddler
11-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Ok, I sent an email to the shop where I bought my P5K Premium to know if I could still get a replacement/refund in a few weeks, or if I should RMA it as soon as possible. Wait and see :)

As for your question sesdave, I didn't up the southbridge voltage to 1.2v, no.

sesdave
11-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Ok, I sent an email to the shop where I bought my P5K Premium to know if I could still get a replacement/refund in a few weeks, or if I should RMA it as soon as possible. Wait and see :)

As for your question sesdave, I didn't up the southbridge voltage to 1.2v, no.

Try it - that is the ICH9 controller chip after all. You never know. I always ran it at 1.2 on my P5W with no disk problems at all..
I have been having my own problems with RAID 1 doing a verify recover at least once a day. running memtest discovered one of my sticks of ballistix has got errors. Running on 2GB and looking at the RMA process with crucial-lol!

thefiddler
11-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Well, I heard Crucial has one of the best tech/sales support of all memory manufacturers, so I guess you'll have a replacement quickly and easily :)

I'll try upping the SB voltage to 1.2v, I'll see if it gets better.

thefiddler
11-05-2007, 03:55 AM
Well, nah, doesn't change a thing.

I'm in contact with ASUS tech support, let's see where it leads...

sesdave
11-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Well, nah, doesn't change a thing.

I'm in contact with ASUS tech support, let's see where it leads...

Up the garden path I suspect-Lol!

dhmk
11-05-2007, 11:39 PM
thefiddler, At SATA1 worked? The second error you get at system log I was getting when my two WD 250GB RE disks were configured as SATA2. Now, at SATA1, I am not getting these errors any more. At SATA2 I was getting a lot of these and also disk errors with ID 11:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D."

Never got this?

The later continues, at SATA1, to appear in system log but infriguently, about 1 to 5 a day, some days none. Appears that this is not a noticeable (at least) problem.

Also I never had BSOD running always my two disks in IDE mode. I think this is memory related because even running my system under SATA2, with errors every second in system log, very slow etc, never had BSOD. Disks worked slow but without data corruption.

I have a board of the same rev 2.00g. I wonder if our boards have something different. Can your board work as mine or yours is more faulty? Its a question and would be good to have an aswer. Another: Your Seagate drive has a different behavior than mine WD? That means we can expect a different behavior from different models or different brands?

I don't remember ever got

"The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."

and I am sure I am not getting it now.

thefiddler
11-06-2007, 03:10 AM
Up the garden path I suspect-Lol!

This is a miracle, they answered! :D

Here's what they said:
"Dear Sir, we installed the very same motherboard in a demo computer a few days ago, and we didn't notice any similar errors when running it.
The errors you noticed in your computer may be caused by a faulty chipset or by poor-quality components on the mother board itself.
Please get in touch with your local store, and ask them for a replacement or to send your board back to us for repair."

This is getting amusing :rolleyes:

thefiddler, At SATA1 worked? The second error you get at system log I was getting when my two WD 250GB RE disks were configured as SATA2. Now, at SATA1, I am not getting these errors any more. At SATA2 I was getting a lot of these and also disk errors with ID 11:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D."

Never got this?

The later continues, at SATA1, to appear in system log but infriguently, about 1 to 5 a day, some days none. Appears that this is not a noticeable (at least) problem.

Also I never had BSOD running always my two disks in IDE mode. I think this is memory related because even running my system under SATA2, with errors every second in system log, very slow etc, never had BSOD. Disks worked slow but without data corruption.

I have a board of the same rev 2.00g. I wander if our boards have something different. Can your board work as mine or yours is more faulty? Its a question and would be good to have an aswer. Another: Your Seagate drive has a different behavior than mine WD? That means we can expect a different behavior from different models or different brands?

I don't remember ever got

"The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."

and I am sure I am not getting it now.

This last error only shows if you use iaStor by running AHCI or RAID. IaStor isn't used in standard IDE. Unfortunately, I want to run my harddisks as RAID in the near future.

I'm still having BSODs when these errors are showing up - not everytime though. I already tested my memory: I don't think it's defective since they passed a night-long memtest, and because I didn't have any errors/BSOD when running these very same memory modules in my computer before installing the new motherboard... :(

dhmk
11-06-2007, 03:37 AM
Their answer it doesn't explain why the faulty chipsets and poor-quality components are so frequent to a specific model. But maybe explain why you don't have the famous Seagate compatibility.

Memory modules can have compatibility issues (again this) with this board and its memory controler. I have seen in ASUS updates, "this BIOS to enhance compatibility with some memory modules". The data that come from disks are checked and that's why we get the errors in the system log and because is recoverable the correct information (after retries). If it was not that the system will never work and had other kind of errors, non-recoverable.

Check to see if your drives revert their operation from ULTRA DMA 5 (or 6) to PIO.

Any way, if you replace the board let us know.

thefiddler
11-06-2007, 03:57 AM
Well, my memory modules are two sticks of Corsair DDR2-8500C5D. Those are reported as tested and compatible by Corsair with the P5K Premium motherboard (Corsair lists compatible modules with a specific board on their website - at least when it's a known and enthousiast mobo).

I'll check to see if my drives are reverting their operation speed to PIO.

dhmk
11-06-2007, 06:17 AM
Another thing to add. When I copied big files from a SATA2 drive to another at PATA controler (when trying to found what happened), the operation was fast and worked well. So the conlusion by this is that the writing to disks has problems and not just the reading. Maybe HD test programs can verify that.

Of course how this solves our problem. I don't know. As a software engineer I have an inclination to search for bugs!

sesdave
11-06-2007, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=thefiddler;2537407]
Here's what they said:
"Dear Sir, we installed the very same motherboard in a demo computer a few days ago, and we didn't notice any similar errors when running it.
The errors you noticed in your computer may be caused by a faulty chipset or by poor-quality components on the mother board itself.
Please get in touch with your local store, and ask them for a replacement or to send your board back to us for repair."
[QUOTE]
Reading between the lines it sounds like Asus know there is a spurious problem with the ICH9R controller on the Premium but dont want to openly state it . You have an RMA offer - just do it when the new boards are out.

sesdave
11-06-2007, 10:45 AM

Here's what they said:

This is getting amusing :rolleyes:

Reading between the lines it sounds like Asus know there is a spurious problem with the ICH9R controller on the Premium but dont want to openly state it . You have an RMA offer - just do it when the new boards are out or alternatively have a look at this new x38 beast which should now be available http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/uk/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=IX38+QuadGT&fMTYPE=LGA775. from what I gave read of x38 MBs whilst they do not offer much more if any in the o/c stakes they do seem to give stability to the maximum o/c .

sesdave
11-10-2007, 04:00 AM
Looks like I wasnt problem free because nothing was really apparent. Having finally looked at the event log I noticed I got a host of event 51 error message on the SATA drive on the 20/10 then nothing. The only thing I can think off that I changed then was to move my sata DVD drive to another port from port 5 to port 3(black) - I was trying to resolve my slow copy and wondered if the DVD drive was conflicting with the sata drives. HArd drives are on port 1and 2.. Strangley enough iI now get get the paging file error messages when I burn on the DVD
'an error was detected on device\Device\CDrom0 during a paging operation'
but no further sata disk messages since the 20/10. I hadn't permenantly applied the LPM regedit fix as I didnt think I had a problem. Have moved the DVD drive around the ports still with errors - controller failure combined with the page file warning. Maybe it doesnt like being on the ICH9 with sata=RAID in the BIOS. Will try deleting the iastor to see what happens for fun - doesnt seem to be much of a problem as I can still burn DVD okay. I have googled and seeems this is not an unknown problem - may be just the DVD burner compatibility. Still it ewould be nice to know what I did that stopped the Disk errors. I may gave installed latest asus .ini file but I cant remember - something to do with age-lol!.

thefiddler
11-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey!

Been a bit off these last days due to work...
I'm sorry to hear you finally experience problems with your board, sesdave.

By the way, also a big thanks for your mails concerning the new BIOS. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve anything to me, and according to Asus forums, it looks like it doesn't fix much for most people.

My local shop told me I may RMA the board at any time without any hurry, so I'll wait for X48 and then RMA the P5K Premium, probably.

What about your problem? Did you get it solved?

sesdave
11-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Hey!

Been a bit off these last days due to work...
I'm sorry to hear you finally experience problems with your board, sesdave.

By the way, also a big thanks for your mails concerning the new BIOS. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve anything to me, and according to Asus forums, it looks like it doesn't fix much for most people.

My local shop told me I may RMA the board at any time without any hurry, so I'll wait for X48 and then RMA the P5K Premium, probably.

What about your problem? Did you get it solved?

Pity - hoped it might help more - still thats Asus for you. Look on the good side - you get a new latest board minus the costs of your Premium. Lets hope they perform better than the top x38s cos reading the reviews they seem to have their own BIOS /MB issues compared with the P5Ks.
I uninstalled nero 8 which seems to be causing a few problems - disckread had a compatability problem with an existing program under vistax64 which I think was causing one or some of the problem. It didnt stop me burning disks but I was getting the controller fail and d paging file message on the CDrom. Will try version 7 and report back.
Off thread - liked the website. As you are into photography can you advise me if the Olympus E-400 or E-410 is any good as a compact SLR. There are some good deals on it in the UK

thefiddler
11-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Well, I really don't know a lot about Olympus SLR's.
Though, there's a website I always trusted when it comes to photography and reviews, that is dpreview.com.

They reviewed the Olympus E-410 a while ago:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse410/

:)

dingmel
04-21-2008, 12:07 PM
hi there. i'm having the exact same problems as stated above, regarding the ich9r and my drives causing BSODs. some people mentioned above that it was possible to RMA with Asus and get back another model (ie - x38)? wondering how is that possible, i thought RMAs were 1 to 1 exchanges with the same model. as i see, this problem is here to stay with all revisions of this board. has anyone undergone a mobo RMA process with ASUS before?