PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking : how it can break your day

2xD
07-09-2002, 06:12 PM
:(
Yesterday I went out to get the required VR's for modding the KX7 and the GF4.
Cleaned up everything first,took out the KX7, did the job all quiet and relaxed, looked good. Same for the SUMA.

Allright, threw the thing back together, started it up, it turns on, and like 10s after, it goes out again. I was like "oh oow". Tried again, nothing.
Time to get out the spare parts then huh.
Changed the grfx, tried again, nothing. Other memory, still nothing. CPU on another mainboard and working RAM : nothing. OK then, we lost the Tbird. Aftr an hour searching or so, I finally found that Duron 700 I got once. The working Epox with the Duron and an old TNT2 started up normally. Let's test the Samsung that was in the KX7 then. Only to find out it's dead too, but hey, that's life.
About time for the final test, does my GF4 still work?
And....nopes, it doesn't.
So there you are, sitting next to about 700e worth of hardware, which you also bought only last month, and all of it is dead.
And then you also realize that the money you saved for a Prometheia, can no longer be used for a Prometheia. Not exactly a usefull thing to have if you don't have hardware to put in it.
If I wouldn't know any better, I'd say I was depressed.

But, on the bright side, I have an XP2200, KX7, 512MB Samsung and a 128MB SUMA GF4Ti4200SE due in by next week :)

I'm still sad, but I'll be OK by next week :D

OPPAINTER
07-09-2002, 06:15 PM
Thats a sad story, what made it all blow like that you think??

OPP

N8
07-09-2002, 06:15 PM
man......that definitely sux. I hope you have better luck w/ the new stuff....perhaps try vmod'n one thing at a time? just a thought.....

N8
07-09-2002, 06:16 PM
not sure this would fry it all, but ya sure ya had the VR's turned the right way to start?

Bravo
07-09-2002, 06:18 PM
When i first did my KR7A, i forgot to set maximum resistance on the memory. Its almost a shame i didnt completely read the Icrontic Vmod thread at the time :)

2xD
07-09-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by [N8]
not sure this would fry it all, but ya sure ya had the VR's turned the right way to start?

Do I really have to answer that question? :(
The VR's on the KX7 were wide open :(
Damn I hate myself for that.
I know I just made an utter fool of myself by admitting, but still, it wasn't on purpose :)
The fact that it's my own stupid fault makes the loss a bit worse actually.
At least I won't forget about it next time, I guess, I hope :D

N8
07-09-2002, 06:43 PM
Hehe....least I know to be very careful. I've only ever modded one board and I knew to turn the VR the right way b4hand but I didn't know that it would fry it all :(

I thought it might just not post. O well, least u'll have better piece of mind doing it this next time.....in other words, least ya know what ya did wrong. :D

scrllock
07-10-2002, 11:34 AM
dang, that sucks... Anyone want to set up the "replace 2xD's fried hardware fund"?

OPPAINTER
07-10-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by 2xD

Do I really have to answer that question? :(
The VR's on the KX7 were wide open :(
Damn I hate myself for that.
I know I just made an utter fool of myself by admitting, but still, it wasn't on purpose :)
The fact that it's my own stupid fault makes the loss a bit worse actually.
At least I won't forget about it next time, I guess, I hope :D

With the resisters wide open wouldn't the overvoltage protection save the Day?? I would think it would kick on and wouldn't allow it to boot, intern not giving the mobo any power to fry anything.

OPP

2xD
07-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by OPPAINTER

With the resisters wide open wouldn't the overvoltage protection save the Day?? I would think it would kick on and wouldn't allow it to boot, intern not giving the mobo any power to fry anything.

OPP

That would be a logical explanation yes, but appearantly it didn't work :(
I think it just couldn't handle the voltage, I used 50K pot's, so the voltages must have been extremely high compared to what they should be. One thing's for sure, next time I'll be measuring my mod's like 60 times before I decide to start the thing up.
Ordered some SMD grabbers too btw, so it should be all OK next week.

great idea about the fund raising btw, I can use it :D
Contact me for account details :p

TheDude
07-11-2002, 07:10 AM
I feel your pain Bro....I pulled a real bonehead last night...reseated my Tbred 2200..checked the temp in Bios and it was fine...a minute later I checked it again and it had shot all the way to 180f ! Shutdown as fast as possible, but too late ..fried the cpu and killed the board..don't know if there is more damage yet..hard drives, ram , video. etc. The core did not make good contact on the vapochill or somehow lost it and I didn't notice in time. Talk about your stupid, expensive mistakes! All the voltages were set stock..I do that anytime I change anything..hopefully nothing else got fried.

well..it seems all is ok except the board..even the cpu is still good...board is toast tho.