PDA

View Full Version : HDTV should be called Pirate TV.

Kunaak
10-21-2007, 09:08 PM
while I've been playing videogames in HD for a very long time now, I've only had short experiences with HDTV over the air in seattle... and most recently here in alaska with digital cable.
outta my 200 something channels, about 20 are HDTV.

what I've noticed is a great deal of the stuff, even on the high profile HD channels, like National Geographic, HDNet, ESPN and such...
is you dont really get the standard shows, atleast, not all the time.

like your not gonna see the simpsons, and everyone loves raymond.
more like shows like that one where matt pinfield just interviews people, for a half hour... without even 1 change of the camera angle, which you would never.... ever see on regular network TV.

and half the channels have zero commercials.
which is really really weird... its normal TV... yet no commercials.
so this results in shows normally edited for commercial time to fill up 15 minutes of an hour, not having to use that 15 minutes.... so a show that starts at 1, is over around 1:45 or close...
so theres filler shows, like 15 minute documentries....

HDTV is so weird... cause it's all normal TV stations.... but nothing of what your use to.

my friend micah has direct TV HD, and even his channels are like this...

it reminds me of "Pirate Radio" where anything goes, and it has alot of the same charactoristics, like no commercials...

these are truely the "young days" of HD.
thats for sure.

when I can watch TNT all day... in HD... and theres no commercials.... its just really weird.

I am sooooooo use to being bombarded with random crap every 10 minutes of a TV show, that to not have it... is just weird.
I love it, but its definatly interesting to realize, just how young HD still is.

trance565
10-22-2007, 06:00 PM
yeah, my dad got HD so he could watch the news and lou dobbs lol.

Gautam
10-22-2007, 06:05 PM
lol...so true. At least PBS looks really good.

pissboy
10-23-2007, 02:22 AM
I personally can't wait for the first HD version of a Ron Popeil infomercial at 4am..

nicepun
10-23-2007, 07:22 AM
I personally feel that HDTV is primarily for sporting events more than anything else. DirecTV is kicking butt when it comes to HD Channels lineup.

pissboy
10-23-2007, 01:58 PM
I personally feel that HDTV is primarily for sporting events more than anything else.

Sounds like you're a sports person then..

Planet Earth HD and Movies here.

zanzabar
10-23-2007, 02:29 PM
if u have hd then u need to watch nhl in hd u can actually see the puck without squinting

nicepun
10-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Sounds like you're a sports person then..

Oh, I love that series too, I had in my HD DVR for a while.

dicecca112
10-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Sports look amazing in HD, when I can pick out the blades of grass on a baseball or football field, now that's the ticket. Everything else, I could care less

Fujimitsu
11-24-2007, 09:34 AM
I find it hard to watch non-HD programming on a lot of high-end sets which is why I still haven't made the switch.

Aside from video games and blu-ray/hd-dvd there's not that much of a selection in HD yet. Kinda sucks considering that well made HD programming looks so phenomenal.

Grafton
11-24-2007, 01:40 PM
yeah i am not gonna touch an HD tv for a while maybe till 2009 reg tv channels just look like CRAP on HDTV's when i was growing up i had a big ol' antenna out side and had to tune everything in fuzziness was a norm cable is supposed to be "clear"watching non digital signal tv on a hdtv just looks like high def. static very annoying.

aCKs3r
11-29-2007, 11:57 AM
I have my HD rig hooked up to TWC's HD cable and i mostly watch primetime shows like Heroes and criminal minds and countless reruns of Law & Order on TNTHD

I bought Planet Earth on Blu-Ray and it is the best looking/sounding content available right now for sure. simply amazing, it leaves me speechless every time!

[XC] leviathan18
02-04-2009, 07:09 AM
hey dont complain guys we only have 4 hd channels :(