PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Update just killed my P5k Premium

Budwise
10-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Well, just ran Asus Update to update my bios to 402. Reset everything to default beforehand, started the flash, and after it was done it said "Failed to flash EPROM" or something like that and to "Push Abort to revert" Ok so i pushed the Abort. Rebooted to check everything out. All it will do now is power on for about 3 seconds and then power off. Power on for a few seconds, then power off. No post, no nothing. I cleared the CMOS more than once by unplugging everything, removing the battery, letting it sit a few minutes, and still nothing.

CyberDruid
10-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Will it not boot into Boot Block and attempt to restore BIOS from removable media?

Budwise
10-21-2007, 02:13 PM
hos do i do that? It wont post or anything, dunno how i would boot to removable media...

genec57
10-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Asus update has led to the demise of many motherboards - so many that I can't believe that they still have that piece of crap around.
Your only choice is to RMA the board and never use Asus update again.

CyberDruid
10-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Boot block either runs on it's own or not at all...

Budwise
10-21-2007, 02:24 PM
then it would be the "not at all" :(

I dont have time to wait for Asus's RMA so i ordered a DFI Blood Iron. When i get the RMA done i'll have a P5k Premium up for sale...

safan80
10-21-2007, 02:33 PM
you shouldn't of used asus update. you should get an x38 board not a DFI Blood Iron.

Budwise
10-21-2007, 02:41 PM
I dont have a floppy drive to use the DOS flash. Windows based BIOS updates have worked fine for many boards i have used in the past. In the future im just gonna have to buy a floppy drive and keep some floppies lying around.

i have no reason for an X38 board. And show me an X38 at the price point of the Blood Iron? I dont do CF, so i dont need the PCIE extra bandwidth.

safan80
10-21-2007, 02:43 PM
I dont have a floppy drive to use the DOS flash.
buy a 32MB usb flash drive.

sierra_bound
10-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Try powering up while holding down the insert key for at least five seconds. May have to do this several times. Many manufacturers have this feature built into their boards as a way of accessing the BIOS.

Budwise
10-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Try powering up while holding down the insert key for at least five seconds. May have to do this several times. Many manufacturers have this feature built into their boards as a way of accessing the BIOS.

well, i gave that a try. Unfortunatley it goes into its powerdown powerup loop before the keyboard has a chance to get power. No luck...

mjb1206
10-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Budwise> Hate to be another bearer of bad news, but I think your only way for recovery, is to RMA it. I personally learned from others mistakes by reading several different forums, and stayed WAY clear of the ASUS Updater. I have only updated my bios directly through the bios its self!

Good luck brother, and hopefully your new one will have a little better chip-set, and will overclock for you better.......

Budwise
10-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Budwise> Hate to be another bearer of bad news, but I think your only way for recovery, is to RMA it. I personally learned from others mistakes by reading several different forums, and stayed WAY clear of the ASUS Updater. I have only updated my bios directly through the bios its self!

Good luck brother, and hopefully your new one will have a little better chip-set, and will overclock for you better.......

I think you are right bro. The sun has set on this board and it is doomed for RMA. Anyone have any experience with Asus RMA?

BigRigDriver
10-21-2007, 03:33 PM
I think you are right bro. The sun has set on this board and it is doomed for RMA. Anyone have any experience with Asus RMA?

Its a bit slow: you ship your mobo, they recieve then inspect then few days later either you get a bill for a replacement or they ship a refurb one back to you.

:shocked:

safan80
10-21-2007, 03:43 PM

you can ask to do a cross ship rma where they send you out the board first and then you return the dead board in the same box they sent you the replacement.
for $25 you can get them to ship it overnight.. the only con is you have to fax them your credit card and motherboard info.

edit: they call it an advance replacement

Nate P.
10-21-2007, 03:47 PM
So how's the Blood Iron?

Budwise
10-21-2007, 04:07 PM
So how's the Blood Iron?

In my opinion its the best board for the value price range. However i have no experience with it yet. For now im just a little tired of Asus making so many boards that they cant go back and support ones that they have made just a few months before. Asus makes good products, but they are getting way ahead of themselves with so many new products constantly coming out.

san~man
10-21-2007, 06:10 PM
buy a 32MB usb flash drive.

I did mine with a CD-R, since my flash drive was dead.

genec57
10-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Budwise,
FYI, a floppy would do you no good. The Asus bios file is 2 megs in length - a flash drive is the way to go.

highoctane
10-21-2007, 06:53 PM
I dont have a floppy drive to use the DOS flash. Windows based BIOS updates have worked fine for many boards i have used in the past. In the future im just gonna have to buy a floppy drive and keep some floppies lying around.

i have no reason for an X38 board. And show me an X38 at the price point of the Blood Iron? I dont do CF, so i dont need the PCIE extra bandwidth.

You probably couldn't use a floppy to flash, odds are the bios update is too large to fit on a floppy, probably around 2mb just for the bios file alone.

The best way to flash is either by entering the flash utility from the bios or ALT-F2 I believe during posting. I load the flash utility from the bios and use a usb thumb drive, has to be fat no ntfs to work, very easy really and no need for boot discs.

I killed my Asus p5b deluxe by using asus update with Vista, had to rma the board and they replaced it with what looked to be a new board, it definitely wasn't the board I sent them.

w2richwood
10-21-2007, 08:21 PM
i rmaed my p5wdh it was 12 days turn around quik like clock work good luck
Rich

Budwise
10-21-2007, 10:33 PM
thanks very much to everyone. I appreciate the support.

doakh
10-22-2007, 05:44 AM
You probably couldn't use a floppy to flash, odds are the bios update is too large to fit on a floppy, probably around 2mb just for the bios file alone.

The best way to flash is either by entering the flash utility from the bios or ALT-F2 I believe during posting. I load the flash utility from the bios and use a usb thumb drive, has to be fat no ntfs to work, very easy really and no need for boot discs.

I killed my Asus p5b deluxe by using asus update with Vista, had to rma the board and they replaced it with what looked to be a new board, it definitely wasn't the board I sent them.

I have used a floppy to update my bios on a Asus P5B Deluxe. You need to go to www.bootdisk.com and use the 'driver free disk for bios flashing.' Then you install the 'Afudos' utility and the bios file.
Simple as pie and safe!!

billdavis
10-22-2007, 06:09 AM
usb is the fastest

never use anything but a in-bios bios update!!!!!!!!

Unbornchild
10-22-2007, 06:10 AM
Budwise,
FYI, a floppy would do you no good. The Asus bios file is 2 megs in length - a flash drive is the way to go.Is it??? :eek: For P5W-DH it's 1024 kB. ;)

highoctane
10-22-2007, 06:27 AM
I have used a floppy to update my bios on a Asus P5B Deluxe. You need to go to www.bootdisk.com and use the 'driver free disk for bios flashing.' Then you install the 'Afudos' utility and the bios file.
Simple as pie and safe!!

Yeah, I guess the 2mb bios files started with the P5K series.

TI66ER
10-22-2007, 06:45 AM
I did'nt realize how dodgy asus update is and did mine using it.It went fine,tho' i wont be using it again.