PDA

View Full Version : Leopard

ugp
10-20-2007, 06:16 AM
So I pre-ordered my copy the other day. Who else will be buying this as well? I bought my iMac 8 days too soon for the $9.95 upgrade.

I don't mind buying an OS from Apple and support them. This marks the first OS I have ever bought in my life.

What are you thoughts on Leopard? What new features are you looking forward to?

I just thought I would start a thread on it since there isn't one already.

Deux
10-20-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm excited, although I'm not sure what I'll be doing as now I have more macs I want to put it on than are allowed with the family pack thing.

iadstudio
10-20-2007, 10:26 AM
I think there's a lot of pressure on apple to deliver better performance with Leopard. I know OSx has great performance compared to Vista, but each successive OS upgrade for them has increased performance. It'll be interesting to see if this is a compatibility upgrade, UI upgrade or if there are any significant performance differences.

Vapor
10-20-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm getting it as well for my MBP, preordered from Apple. I've been using an old version of it for a few months now, kinda forget what Tiger was like, but here are the things I've gotten to like and use regularly:

Spaces, Mail 3, iCal 3, Safari 3 (with the widget-builder thing too :)), new Finder, Downloads folder, Dock 1.6, Quick Look. Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Good little list of features here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html

lowfat
10-20-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm preordering a copy also.

ShootStraight
10-20-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm getting it as well for my MBP, preordered from Apple. I've been using an old version of it for a few months now, kinda forget what Tiger was like, but here are the things I've gotten to like and use regularly:

Spaces, Mail 3, iCal 3, Safari 3 (with the widget-builder thing too :)), new Finder, Downloads folder, Dock 1.6, Quick Look. Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Good little list of features here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html

You crunching with it?

-SS

Vapor
10-20-2007, 07:15 PM
No, I can't stand the fan noise on my MBP when the CPU gets hot.

That and WCG started to have a lot of problems with OS X (after it worked SO well...much better than XP), wouldn't run it again on OS X, even on a quiet desktop....they burned my bridge.

ShootStraight
10-20-2007, 08:28 PM
I hear ya...:(

Kinda why I was asking...

-SS

ugp
10-22-2007, 05:21 AM
The lastest beta build of Leopard I found that QuickSilver does not work too well with it. The plug-ins do not install although I can launch any application still via the hot key.

I didn't fully test but Azureus and HandBrake launch and didn't crash.

WrigleyVillain
10-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Looking forward to slapping it on one of the new Mac Pros at work when our vol licensed copy shows up. Of course that means I have new images to build. :rolleyes:

lowfat
10-23-2007, 07:58 AM
The lastest beta build of Leopard I found that QuickSilver does not work too well with it. The plug-ins do not install although I can launch any application still via the hot key.

I didn't fully test but Azureus and HandBrake launch and didn't crash.

:shakes: No quicksilver is going to make me a very emotional man

Vapor
10-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Well my copy is here...
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5451/leopardjm9.jpg

Going to walk into the iStore and try to return it though (yes, before launch...:D)....turns out I can get it for ~50% off at my school's computer store at 6PM.

EDIT: just talked with Apple and it turns out I have to mail it back...though I really wanted to walk into the store and return it before launch :p:

WrigleyVillain
10-26-2007, 12:51 PM
A coworker's copy showed up this morning and he just got it installed. Check out the "icon" for a Windows box in the network browser :rofl:

Senater_Cache
10-26-2007, 04:40 PM
thats just wrong

[XC] mysticmerlin
10-27-2007, 10:18 AM
A coworker's copy showed up this morning and he just got it installed. Check out the "icon" for a Windows box in the network browser :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: That is just to d@mn funny :ROTF: :ROTF:
You would think after all these years of Windows BSOD they might give up a different screen color for variety :rolleyes:

Thegreenman
10-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Well my copy of it is out of its box & up & running since friday, I find it faster in all departments I've tried so far without any problems, I like it.

DPGX
10-28-2007, 01:40 PM
I had a 17" Imac and a Macbook pro up until friday night :-X I walked out of the apple store with a 24" Imac with a 2.4Ghz proc, 2600, and 2gb ram. I have no self control. Anyways I love it so far lol i still have a pc as well, but these are so sleek and i prefer OSX after 3 years of using it regularly. Leopard is great by the way, seems much snappier than tiger was.

ineedaname
10-28-2007, 08:22 PM
I could see microsoft changing the colour of the BSOD to green just to spite them.

Well anyways I just got a copy for my gf's macbook but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

FlimFlam00
10-29-2007, 07:30 PM
I am digging Leopard. Kind of lame though that your own Mac does not show up by default in finder. Anyway, what the hell happened to Netinfo Manager? How to change root now?

Edit: ahh, now good old sudo passwd works now in the Terminal.

sky
11-04-2007, 07:28 AM
the only thing i kinda don't like with leo is the new dock. i do like the blue lights. aaha blue light, what does it do? shine blue? (rambo ftw) but nah.. i've seen people make it into the old one. what i'm doing right now is customize the graphics of it. like replace that stupid two color semi-seethrough slab with something more of my liking.
by browsing through the file in question i also found that you can customize the look oft the widget page. well the graphics of it anyway. and unless i'm completely mistaken, you can remove the name above the app when you hover over the dock... hm possibilities :D
pimp my leopard

WrigleyVillain
11-06-2007, 03:27 PM
In case you missed this (but it's been all over the web today). If there have been "updates" to the situation since this report I haven't come across them...

Leopard's Finder has a glaring bug in its directory-moving code, leading to horrendous data loss if a destination volume disappears while a move operation is in progress. This author first came across it when Samba crashed while he was moving a directory from his desktop over to a Samba mount on his FreeBSD server.

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/05/2328259

FlimFlam00
11-06-2007, 10:18 PM
The more I use it, the more I am seeing some bugs - I get systems hangs, and Windows networking is not as nice as it was in Tiger; the firewall is trash too.

lowfat
11-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Dont know if it was worth my money yet...

I am not digging most of the features as of yet.

Vapor
11-10-2007, 05:50 PM
I tried using a Tiger system the other day and was hating it....I think I'm consistently using most if not every major Leopard feature....even Finder Coverflow and Time Machine.

Ready for more...when is 10.6 coming out? lol

kaidomac
11-29-2007, 11:54 AM
I've been using Leopard for a few weeks now on my Mini and it feels very much like Windows XP...fairly stable but daily hangups. Safari 3 locks up on me quite a bit and I have to Force-Quit it often. Parallels 3.0 seems to have issues too. Also memory doesn't seem to re-allocate properly...like when I quit Parallels or another memory-intensive program, the rest of my system still stutters along (2 gigs of ram on my Mini).

kaidomac
11-29-2007, 11:55 AM
I tried using a Tiger system the other day and was hating it....I think I'm consistently using most if not every major Leopard feature....even Finder Coverflow and Time Machine.

Ready for more...when is 10.6 coming out? lol

Yeah there are a lot of nice little features that are making it hard for me to go back to Leopard...my favorite is Stacks, it's the best thing ever! I also really like the system-integrated Downloads folder...coupled with Spotlight I don't ever have to worry about organizing my downloads, haha. Overall Leopard seems a wee bit faster as well, which is always a plus for new, more advanced operating systems.

kaidomac
11-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Dont know if it was worth my money yet...

I am not digging most of the features as of yet.

Yeah Leopard seems more "evolutionary" then "revolutionary". There are a lot of features I like, but there are also a lot of features that I just flat out don't use. I thought I would be using spaces like crazy, but with Expose and hot corners I quit using it after a week (and Tiger already has those features!). CoverFlow proved to be a novelty to me; I mainly just use Stacks or Spotlight to get what I need quickly.

kaidomac
11-29-2007, 11:58 AM
the only thing i kinda don't like with leo is the new dock. i do like the blue lights. aaha blue light, what does it do? shine blue? (rambo ftw) but nah.. i've seen people make it into the old one. what i'm doing right now is customize the graphics of it. like replace that stupid two color semi-seethrough slab with something more of my liking.
by browsing through the file in question i also found that you can customize the look oft the widget page. well the graphics of it anyway. and unless i'm completely mistaken, you can remove the name above the app when you hover over the dock... hm possibilities :D
pimp my leopard

If you move the dock to the left or right side of the monitor, it takes away the reflection graphics. I never thought I'd be happy with having the dock oriented vertically, but I've grown to like it a lot. I actually have mine on the right side of my screen, of all places.

kaidomac
11-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Can anyone confirm if NTFS drives are writeable by default under Leopard?

ugp
12-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Leopard has been running very smoothly for me and I have not really found any software issues with other programs at all.

ugp
12-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Can anyone confirm if NTFS drives are writeable by default under Leopard?
No they are not and I am sure Apple will never have it so either.

NapalmV5
12-14-2007, 01:32 AM
intel XBX2
QX6700
1950xt or 2600hd or 3870hd or 8800ultra
areca raid or single drive

good to go os x leoard?

THEHAWKs
12-14-2007, 08:14 PM
intel XBX2
QX6700
1950xt or 2600hd or 3870hd or 8800ultra
areca raid or single drive

good to go os x leoard?

1950xt , 2600hd and 8800 works on OSX leopard not sure about the 3870hd
:yepp: your good to go

NapalmV5
12-17-2007, 01:35 PM
1950xt , 2600hd and 8800 works on OSX leopard not sure about the 3870hd
:yepp: your good to go

alright! leopard ordered

thanks hawks, appreciated

MuffinFlavored
12-17-2007, 08:18 PM
alright! leopard ordered

thanks hawks, appreciated

Ordered?
I thought the original DVD straight from Apple won't work on a "Hackintosh".
This weekend, I plan to get my Q6700 8800GTS P35-DQ6 on Leopard.
:)!

NapalmV5
12-19-2007, 12:09 AM
so, retail ver doesnt work?

craked?

lowfat
12-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Ordered?
I thought the original DVD straight from Apple won't work on a "Hackintosh".
This weekend, I plan to get my Q6700 8800GTS P35-DQ6 on Leopard.
:)!

AFAIK all you need is a patch or a crack to get the retail copy of Leopard to work correctly.

ocZZZ
12-21-2007, 11:28 AM
You use the hacked version to install on the pc and then you install the EFI boot loader which emulates the apple bios (if it had one). Once you do that, you're able to run the vanilla kernel and get regular updates from apple. You essentially have a legit mac pro at that point.

NapalmV5
12-21-2007, 12:59 PM
i got the kalyway 10.5.1

but i have yet to install it properly, first time @ apple/mac anything

MuffinFlavored
12-21-2007, 03:08 PM
You use the hacked version to install on the pc and then you install the EFI boot loader which emulates the apple bios (if it had one). Once you do that, you're able to run the vanilla kernel and get regular updates from apple. You essentially have a legit mac pro at that point.

I finally got around to Hackintosh.
It's amazing.
They really got it down.
After a mix up, and me downloading a 6.66gb .dmg on my Windows PC, with the inability to burn, I grabbed a patched for SSE2/SSE3 Intel processors Leopard ISO, burnt it to a single layer DVD (which i liked), installed, rebooted from the CD, ran 2 commands, downloaded 2 files for my audio, did 6 commands for permissions and removing extension caches, and I haven't had a problem since.

IM client, web browser, music library, Ventrilo, WCG Bonic running, and a UI with a 5 minute learning curve, that is worth it.

I got 10.5.1 from Apple, without EFI or vanilla kernel, all I had to do was backup the mach_kernel to the desktop, then before the reboot after the update, paste it back.

I even got World of Warcraft (I don't know why) on Mac OS X easily.
With NVInject for Leopard and 8800GTS 640MB, it's sick.

Spaces, Exposee, Dock, Finder, such a beauty.

Ethernet controller, keyboard, mouse (not all buttons though), USB ports, everything worked right out of the box.

I'm loving it!
Vista, lol?
Gaming = console.

ocZZZ
12-21-2007, 05:57 PM
exactly, since I went console for gaming there was no reason to keep windows. I really can't believe more people aren't running this setup (osx), it's really in a whole different league.

adamsleath
12-21-2007, 06:49 PM
using gf's imac with leopard.
doesnt seem to be plagued by spyware issues (yet)

..but it's making me think about a nice simple linux partition.

i still have to run avg antispyware to clean up the crud windows seems to attract from the internet on my windoze boxes.

MuffinFlavored
12-22-2007, 10:22 AM
using gf's imac with leopard.
doesnt seem to be plagued by spyware issues (yet)

..but it's making me think about a nice simple linux partition.

i still have to run avg antispyware to clean up the crud windows seems to attract from the internet on my windoze boxes.

exactly, since I went console for gaming there was no reason to keep windows. I really can't believe more people aren't running this setup (osx), it's really in a whole different league.

It really is.
Firefox, not needed.
Application installing is as easy as literally dragging and dropping.
No need to dig in 10 levels of folders, and files still remain.
I need to get more Xbox 360 games. I am rarely ever bored, and now, I am bored. XS browsing, only so much.

I know "spyware" is a big deal.
But, I mean, it isn't?
I have no active anti-virus, anti-spyware, anything in that nature on my Windows Vista install.

There is no, go to this website and automatically get a virus.
The end-user needs to make the "mistake" of executing something.
I haven't had to deal with spyware in 2+ years.

I :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed up my god damn OS X install.
I installed some 3rd party mouse driver, and now I get a kernel panic.
I really don't want to do it all over again. It's worth it, but the DVD boot up time is just silly.
There are 2 methods, a patched CD to install, or the regular retail DVD with some sort of pc_efi.

lowfat
12-22-2007, 04:57 PM
It really is.
Firefox, not needed.
Application installing is as easy as literally dragging and dropping.
No need to dig in 10 levels of folders, and files still remain.
I need to get more Xbox 360 games. I am rarely ever bored, and now, I am bored. XS browsing, only so much.

I know "spyware" is a big deal.
But, I mean, it isn't?
I have no active anti-virus, anti-spyware, anything in that nature on my Windows Vista install.

There is no, go to this website and automatically get a virus.
The end-user needs to make the "mistake" of executing something.
I haven't had to deal with spyware in 2+ years.

I :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed up my god damn OS X install.
I installed some 3rd party mouse driver, and now I get a kernel panic.
I really don't want to do it all over again. It's worth it, but the DVD boot up time is just silly.
There are 2 methods, a patched CD to install, or the regular retail DVD with some sort of pc_efi.

there is no way to boot into safe mode?

MuffinFlavored
12-22-2007, 05:07 PM
there is no way to boot into safe mode?

There is. Press F8, type -s as a command, or hold Command + S.
But, the kernel paniced in safe mode, much easier to just reinstall.
I am typing now on my already new system.

I might switch to an iKATOS build.
The installation is for SS3, all PPC code is removed, making the image smaller, and then with EFI built in the Darwin boot loader, it would be an authentic mac, with available updates legit and all.

ocZZZ
12-25-2007, 06:48 AM
watch out, heard of potential security problems (backdoored) in that build. I'm sticking to the original one with EFI.

MuffinFlavored
12-27-2007, 04:50 PM
watch out, heard of potential security problems (backdoored) in that build. I'm sticking to the original one with EFI.

I switched to Kalyway 10.5.1 with EFI.