PDA

View Full Version : Audio Setup Help

Magnj
10-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Hey guys,
I got 2 KLH bookshelf speakers, right now we have them connected to the TV in the living room plugged straight into the tv. They sound pretty good but obviously I want an a receiver/amp to make the sound better. This is where I'm lost lol. For now I want to use the speakers in the living room with the TV, I want to be able to hook up all the video game consoles to it and have it route the sound duties to the speakers. Later on I want to add a PC to the receiver. Can I do this, how do I do this on the cheap? I'm not looking for perfection, just want a centralized system with decent sound. <3

afireinside
10-15-2007, 02:40 PM
How cheap?

Magnj
10-15-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm in college :p
Like I said I'm not looking for audiophile quality stuff here, just something I can plug all the systems into and have our assorted speakers hooked up to. I just have no idea where to begin...I don;t know anything.

Magnj
12-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Just to update you all, if anyone cares.

I ended up buying the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card. It's a semi-pro MIDI Recording card that doubles as a really good 2.0 channel card. I wired this to an Insignia(Best Buy) 200W 2 channel Receiver and then to two KLH 630 bookshelf speakers. They are 200W max each and 8ohm's. So I guess the amp is underpowered but I don't think I'll need to get that loud.

So far so good, I can definitely hear a whole new rage of sounds in song's I've listened to 100 times which is awesome.

I got the speakers free so the whole deal ran me about 200$ when you account for gas and cables.

Using Foobar as my media player and I'm now beginning the pleasure of re-organizing and tagging all of my music. Ugh!

[XC] 2long4u
04-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Just saw this.
If you are just using a 2 channel receiver, you should try a Pioneer SX-1050.
It was made in 1976-1978 but it is the best sounding reciever I've ever heard.
It is only 120watts I think, but they rated watts differently back then.
We have one of these recievers running a pair of cerwin vega 12" 3 way cabs and they pound.

Ghost742
04-24-2008, 07:06 PM
quality back then was much better, my dad still has a pair of cervin vega 3d- something (cant remember the exact modle) 3ways. we replaced the subs with mtx 10'' dual coil subs wired to 8ohms since the rubber on the originals roted.

i can tell you they sound much better then most speaker that i have heard.

garage sales are perfect for picking things like that up.

if you still looking for better speakers/receivers look around at flea markets and garage sales, you might find something decent

[XC] 2long4u
05-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Make sure if you buy speakers with torn surrounds to ohm check them first.
If they test good you can easily put new surrounds on them.

Magnj
08-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Old, but I'm really enjoying the setup. I kind of want a sub even though I know it wouldn't sound "right" but I don't have a way to hook one up so I guess I won't be getting one lol.