PDA

View Full Version : Which console to buy ?(XBOX 360 or PS3)

Darth Nemesis
10-15-2007, 09:33 AM
I am in a dilemma about which console to buy. Basically I wanted to purchase a console to supplement my Gaming PC. There are certain categories of games which are usually found only on the consoles like some one-on-one and hack and slash games that are fun to play as well as some high quality console only exclusives.

Initially I had my mind set on the PS3, but after some researching I found that while XBOX360 has a huge collection of good quality exclusives, PS3 does not seem to have many. But PS3 is more feature rich than the XBOX360 and the hardware is promising on paper. Also for the current lot of cross platform games, XBOX360 seems to have delivered better visuals than PS3 and to me it seems that the PS3 graphics sub-system is somewhat crippled compared to XBOX360.

Just to let you people know, I am not considering a Wii for the moment as it requires some space to actually have fun playing those games and I do not have any in my house currently. :p:

Other factors that may influence the decision are the display and output modes. I have a Dell 2007WFP and this is going to be used for the games. No large sized LCD or Plasma TV's and I do not have any plans for any of those in the near future. I would probably get myself a 24/26/27" LCD Monitor in the future for 1080p support. Whats the best way to connect these consoles to my monitor.

Overall which console would give me the best value for my money?

DTU_XaVier
10-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Does your TV have HDMI-input? If so, it's the best choice, and then you'll need the X360 Elite (but, since you're considering the PS3 as well, I suppose the added cost isn't a problem) to get HDMI support, as the original X360 doesn't have that...
But, if you're playing on it, I'd say the X360, both for current and future games... It's simply got more calculation-power under the hood, no matter which way you look at it...

Best Regards :toast:

trance565
10-15-2007, 12:56 PM
360 for games current and future games. hope you dont get the red ring.(i havent heard anything about MS actually fixing the problem)

ps3 if you like the few choice games (for me that would be : heavenly sword, gundam crossfire, resistance) or if you like the fact of being comfortable knowing that the ps3 only freezes when it over heats, and you may just lose your data that you havent saved yet. or if you have some old ps1/2 games you still like to play.

personally i like the xbox better, but i dont like the feeling that soon it could just die on me. it definantly does have more and better games though.

afireinside
10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Does your TV have HDMI-input? If so, it's the best choice, and then you'll need the X360 Elite (but, since you're considering the PS3 as well, I suppose the added cost isn't a problem) to get HDMI support, as the original X360 doesn't have that...
But, if you're playing on it, I'd say the X360, both for current and future games... It's simply got more calculation-power under the hood, no matter which way you look at it...

The new premium systems have HDMI as well.

360 FTW! No good ps3 games, tons of good 360 games.

Fixxxer
10-15-2007, 03:09 PM
The new premium systems have HDMI as well.

360 FTW! No good ps3 games, tons of good 360 games.

+1

Absolutely QFT

Stewie007
10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
I bought an XBox360 about 3 months ago. I'm tellin ya, I am not disappointed, and should you buy one, neither will you be. There are alot of good or decent games, and a good bit more coming out in the near future. I've got the Elite hooked up to my 32" Sharp Aquos with the HDMI... It's all good.

The HDDVD player also does a good job of improving the quality of most DVDs. Star Trek First Contact looked quite noticably better and more crisp on the 360 than typical DVD players.

XBox 360's got my vote.

mXpS
10-15-2007, 06:12 PM
definitely a 360. the exclusive games are the biggest swaying factor.

zanzabar
10-15-2007, 07:26 PM
the ps3 is a better supliment since it has more platformers that are ps3 only, while the 360 has more shooters but since u have a pc then console shooters suck in comparison

but if u do go 260 get the halo one it has the 65nm cpu instead of the 90 so it dosnt overheat and dont overdraw the psu like the others do

trance565
10-15-2007, 07:50 PM
the ps3 is a better supliment since it has more platformers that are ps3 only, while the 360 has more shooters but since u have a pc then console shooters suck in comparison

but if u do go 260 get the halo one it has the 65nm cpu instead of the 90 so it dosnt overheat and dont overdraw the psu like the others do

at the cost of having a uglier than butt xbox it better work lol.

Kunaak
10-15-2007, 08:11 PM
as a person who owns/or has owned all 3 of the major consoles, heres my summary of them all.

PS3. Owned it for a few weeks. got extremely bored with it after resistance fall of man.
there just wasnt much to get for it, that I couldnt already get for my 360.
honestly, it sat there a few weeks before I just got bored of it, and sold it.

from the money I got for my PS3, I got a Wii.

Wii.

The Wii is a weird system.
the graphics suck... even on my HDTV and the component connection.
doesnt matter what game it is, its not much.
theres little to no lighting effects in any game, even in a game like metroid prime 3.

also, gaming on the Wii, the one major thing no one ever tells you... its almost painful to do for any length of time.
my hands hurt like hell after a hour or two on metroid prime.
my arms and elbows hurt like hell after a half hour on Wii Sports.
and the thing is, the majority of games are like this.
its fun for alittle while, but after awhile, it really does kinda hurt.

theres not a whole lot to look forward to, as far as games OTHER then Nintendo games on the Wii.
so thats kinda frustrating.

the Wii, for me, is a good system, if you want to play for a hour or so.
but really a system where you can just veg out and play all afternoon.
well, you can.... but I'd bet you end up with alittle pain soon after.

then theres my 360.

I love my 360.
have 20 games for it.
love Xbox Live, and all the downloadable movies.
some of the Arcade games are pretty fun.
1080P gaming is definatly cool. 5.1 games are amazing.
I have far more games to look forward to on my 360 then I ever did with the PS3, and they are more games I want then whats coming out for my Wii.
the 360's ability to stream movies from your PC to your TV is cool as hell.

my only complaints about the 360 would be...

the accessories are waaaaay overpriced.
($100 for a wireless adaptor? $180 for a hard drive? $50 for a 512 Meg memory card?)

Achievements are getting way to demanding in some games. (IE - Spend 100 hours playing some game online - get achievement. Do 30 kills without getting killed in a online game)

VGA support sucks ass.
plainly put, using the VGA connection for me, on a HDTV results in MUCH MUCH lower quality picture then HDMI and Component does.
MS really blew it, with thier VGA support, with people often saying it only results in a "washed out" look.

zanzabar
10-16-2007, 03:08 AM
at the cost of having a uglier than butt xbox it better work lol.

once u change the faceplate its just green

Darth Nemesis
10-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I would probably pick up the XBOX 360 Halo 3 Special edition rather than the PS3 for now. I will think about the PS3 after 6 months.

So whats the best way to connect the XBOX 360 to my Dell 2007WFP? Since the Halo Edition has HDMI can I just use a HDMI - DVI cable?

trance565
10-16-2007, 11:11 AM
once u change the faceplate its just green

it's the uggliest green imaginable. the entire system is green, not just the face plate, changing the faceplate would make it look wierd.

Kunaak
10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
just for the record, since no one seems to realize this...

every version of the Xbox 360 comes with HDMI, even the lowest end "Arcade" version of the 360 for $279.99

http://www.dailytech.com/Xbox+360+Arcade+Console+Appears+on+Store+Shelves+w ith+HDMI+Output/article9267.htm

afireinside
10-16-2007, 06:14 PM
VGA support sucks ass.
plainly put, using the VGA connection for me, on a HDTV results in MUCH MUCH lower quality picture then HDMI and Component does.
MS really blew it, with thier VGA support, with people often saying it only results in a "washed out" look.

Even after the spring update? My LCD monitor looks great after the update with the reference levels changed. Everyone at AVSForums said it looked way better on their HDTVs to.

DTU_XaVier
10-17-2007, 04:44 AM
just for the record, since no one seems to realize this...

every version of the Xbox 360 comes with HDMI, even the lowest end "Arcade" version of the 360 for $279.99

http://www.dailytech.com/Xbox+360+Arcade+Console+Appears+on+Store+Shelves+w ith+HDMI+Output/article9267.htm
Seems my Xbox360 definition-files needed an update :D... Thanks :up:
Well, I guess you could go with any X360 then... But wherever or not they've got 65nm CPUs is another matter..

Drag
10-17-2007, 09:47 AM
360 is better in evry way sony got pwned so if anyeone has an argument that ps3 is better ask me cuz its not true

Darth Nemesis
10-19-2007, 11:55 AM
I have placed an order for the XBOX 360 Halo 3 Special Edition for now. Will pick up a PS3 after 6 months if I find suitable number of good exclusive titles for it.

SoberWarlock
10-19-2007, 08:45 PM
If you get the Xbox 360 you might experience a lot of problems with overheating. If you get the PS3 you will not have a lot of the good games.

trance565
10-20-2007, 11:52 AM
If you get the Xbox 360 you might experience a lot of problems with overheating. If you get the PS3 you will not have a lot of the good games.

ps3 over heats, but it doesnt kill the system. it just freezes, and you have to turn it off via the switch in the back

Kunaak
10-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Even after the spring update? My LCD monitor looks great after the update with the reference levels changed. Everyone at AVSForums said it looked way better on their HDTVs to.

heres the thing with VGA support.

on PC monitors it looks great.

on HDTV's it sucks ass.
the most common thing people will say about the VGA support, is that it ends up looking "washed out".
in my case, the colors just end up faded, and nearly impossible to correct, cause they are too white to begin with.

the update, only adds 3 settings to mess with, normal, enhanced and such.
what they do, I have no idea...
but they sure didnt help.

if you going with a 360 and HDTV, dont bother with VGA, it just sucks.
use HDMI if you can. its the simplest and most effective way to get a high quality digital image.
Component video isnt digital, but it still looks damn good, and works with 1080p just fine.

Drag
10-21-2007, 03:45 AM
monitors generally are crap compared to tv

trance565
10-21-2007, 11:26 AM
monitors generally are crap compared to tv

monitors supply greater resolutions than 1080P... just thought you might like to know. specially CRT monitors.

Drag
10-22-2007, 09:34 AM
monitors supply greater resolutions than 1080P... just thought you might like to know. specially CRT monitors.

yes but tv's olso have quad-high def so it's pretty equal

Soulburner
10-22-2007, 03:43 PM

:confused: :confused: :confused:

trance565
10-22-2007, 05:51 PM

whats quad hi def?

highest definition a tv goes to is 1080p, which a crt monitor easily out does. and a good lcd monitor will as well.

Darth Nemesis
10-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all the inputs guy's. :)

In the end, I have cancelled my order for Halo 3 Special Edition and got myself a PS3 60GB Version. There was a massive price cut here and the PS3 60GB was available for almost the same price as the Halo 3 Special Edition. :D

Presently I have it connected to my Dell 2007WFP through the bundled AV cable. Its crappy, but a lot better than what I had expected out of AV. Now I have to just figure out a way to get 720p to my display. I was gonna get a HDMI to DVI cable, but I have heard that the 2007WFP has problems with certain cables. :confused:

Moneyless
10-24-2007, 05:41 AM
D:

I would of said get a 360 (I have reasons)(Not the Halo 3 edition that's stupid...), but I guess I'm too late...

Bhairav
10-26-2007, 09:12 AM

In the end, I have cancelled my order for Halo 3 Special Edition and got myself a PS3 60GB Version. There was a massive price cut here and the PS3 60GB was available for almost the same price as the Halo 3 Special Edition. :D

Presently I have it connected to my Dell 2007WFP through the bundled AV cable. Its crappy, but a lot better than what I had expected out of AV. Now I have to just figure out a way to get 720p to my display. I was gonna get a HDMI to DVI cable, but I have heard that the 2007WFP has problems with certain cables. :confused:

hehe.. got mine today... looks damn good on the Philips!

BTW - I'm TH over at TE/THL :)

Drag
10-26-2007, 11:06 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_High_Definition_Video

sky
10-26-2007, 11:35 AM
um yea, so quad hi def is available to the masses right now, NOT. the point of that being brought up being what exactly? the guys were comparing *currently* available tvs (or lcds) with currently available crts. i don't think those hi def screens fit in either group, especially considering the 'currently available' bit of the statement.
i'd like to see those - some time in the future - in an affordable price range, i really do. but right now that point in this argument is moot. besides there's no tech that could handle putting out graphics at that resolution in a game just now.

just my 2ct ,)

coyotetu
10-28-2007, 06:11 AM

The only way you're going to get 720p on that monitor is over an HDMI / DVI cable, because of HDCP, luckily that monitor has HDCP. I'm guessing you already have an audio solution via optical. HDMI to DVI would only pass through video.

Depending on your situation, the PS3 might have been a good choice after all. I myself own both a PS3 60GB and 360 Elite. I use the PS3 for web surfing, dvd/bluray movie playback, and occasionally gaming. Whereas I use the 360 primarily for gaming, and playing MP3's over my sound system via a connected Zune. Both serve their purpose for now, the PS3 will probably never have some of the online features that Xbox live has, and the 360 will probably never have some of the more technical and hardware advantages the PS3 has.

The game selection, relative to 360's launch date is about on schedule, there's some killer apps coming down the line for the PS3 in the next few months. While certainly the 360 has some killer apps already released.

Again, all comes down to your situation. There's no wrong choice (besides the Wii, hey-o!), no matter which way the fanboys/zealots try to spin it. Enjoy your purchase.

Drag
10-31-2007, 06:34 AM
and the 360 will probably never have some of the more technical and hardware advantages the PS3 has.

i know the sound card and online futures of sony are total crap but i lost you at this line.... ps3 doesn't have any hardware advantages accept blue-ray but that isn't really an advantage

coyotetu
11-01-2007, 12:09 AM
i know the sound card and online futures of sony are total crap but i lost you at this line.... ps3 doesn't have any hardware advantages accept blue-ray but that isn't really an advantageYeah... Right... The Cell processor doesn't count at all.. It's only one of the most powerful, efficient processors in existence right now, last I checked the RSX was more powerful than the 360 GPU as well. Alright though, I'll bite, what exactly about 5 times more storage for game discs doesn't produce an advantage over the 360's DVD9 drive?

Keep the fanboyism to a minimum, please.

zanzabar
11-01-2007, 01:44 AM
i know the sound card and online futures of sony are total crap but i lost you at this line.... ps3 doesn't have any hardware advantages accept blue-ray but that isn't really an advantage

the ps3 has the fastest cpu that u can buy for under $20,00 i think thats a hardware advantage, but paired with a cut down 7950gt is also a large drawback, but then it can run a fully functioned linux ppc kernel. also blue ray is a huge advantage it has read speads much faster than a dvd or hd dvd drive and massive storage (movies have a better potential but who cares hd and blue ray both suck compared to dvd and hp has a quad layer dvd coming out so that kills the hd/blue ray)

and have u seen the previews for the new ratchet and clank game that justifies the console if only for that

Drag
11-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Yeah... Right... The Cell processor doesn't count at all.. It's only one of the most powerful, efficient processors in existence right now, last I checked the RSX was more powerful than the 360 GPU as well. Alright though, I'll bite, what exactly about 5 times more storage for game discs doesn't produce an advantage over the 360's DVD9 drive?

Keep the fanboyism to a minimum, please.
the cell processor is cheap sh*t not only would 1 core of the xbox360 be much better then the cell processor with 1 core witch can be devided over 8 area's. t
and the nvidia gpu in the ps3 is a bit bright i think..
the only advantage of blue-ray is that it doesn't scratch and the extra space doesn't really matter because when the new xbox360 will come out you'll be able to put gold discs in it

tbone8ty
11-01-2007, 11:03 AM
ps3

because cell processor, blu-ray.

the games will come

get the new 40g version which has 65nm cell chip

only $399

coyotetu
11-02-2007, 09:10 AM
the cell processor is cheap sh*t not only would 1 core of the xbox360 be much better then the cell processor with 1 core witch can be devided over 8 area's. t
and the nvidia gpu in the ps3 is a bit bright i think..
the only advantage of blue-ray is that it doesn't scratch and the extra space doesn't really matter because when the new xbox360 will come out you'll be able to put gold discs in it
Man, reading this post was borderline depressing, I cannot even fathom the depth of misinformation and fanboyism I've witnessed here. The cell processor as a whole not matching one core of the Xenon processor, wow. I'll let you reflect on that statement for awhile.

Pray tell though, when is this new 360 SKU that will alienate 14 million Xbox consumers coming out? Any press releases from Microsoft about this newfangled contraption? I'm quite interested, realy.

Drag
11-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Man, reading this post was borderline depressing, I cannot even fathom the depth of misinformation and fanboyism I've witnessed here. The cell processor as a whole not matching one core of the Xenon processor, wow. I'll let you reflect on that statement for awhile.

Pray tell though, when is this new 360 SKU that will alienate 14 million Xbox consumers coming out? Any press releases from Microsoft about this newfangled contraption? I'm quite interested, realy.

i remember microsoft say'd they would design there own new cpu for the new xbox

coyotetu
11-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Why wouldn't they, really? Traditionally that's how it's done, what makes Microsoft unique in that regard? Wait, before you answer, NOTHING makes Microsoft unique in that regard.

You haven't answered my question, I didn't ask you if they were going to develop their own CPU for the next Xbox. I'm asking you for a press release or even a vague suggestion from Microsoft about a new 360 SKU that will incorporate "gold discs".

zanzabar
11-02-2007, 05:36 PM
gold disks are triple and quad layer dvd disks, or atleast thats what i think hes talking about

and the blue ray drive in teh ps3 reads at 20x witch is like 48x dvd witch is faster than the 360s 24x dvd drive

Soulburner
11-02-2007, 05:48 PM
November and December will be good months for the PS3 - check out the releases coming.

NickS
11-02-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm personally going for the PS3 for XMAS, along with the Z-5500's. Gonna use HDMI-DVI adapter on my LCD with it. IMO it's the best bang for the buck. Hey, if I don't like it as a game console I still have a BluRay player.

coyotetu
11-02-2007, 06:35 PM
gold disks are triple and quad layer dvd disks, or atleast thats what i think hes talking about

and the blue ray drive in teh ps3 reads at 20x witch is like 48x dvd witch is faster than the 360s 24x dvd driveCorrect me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this require a drive with modified optics to read the discs? Triple or quad layer DVD media, wouldn't this be 17.4gb at the most? Hardly an improvement, if it were true. Which it simply isn't, such a change would be unacceptable at this point, and as a 360 owner I would be outraged, as would the vast majority of their install base. It would cost them more than a few billion to implement such an upgrade, otherwise they'd be slapped with class action lawsuits.

Drag
11-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Why wouldn't they, really? Traditionally that's how it's done, what makes Microsoft unique in that regard? Wait, before you answer, NOTHING makes Microsoft unique in that regard.

You haven't answered my question, I didn't ask you if they were going to develop their own CPU for the next Xbox. I'm asking you for a press release or even a vague suggestion from Microsoft about a new 360 SKU that will incorporate "gold discs".

normally there are powerpc processors in the consoles microsoft is gonne come up with its own architecture (after the x360)

coyotetu
11-03-2007, 03:36 AM
normally there are powerpc processors in the consoles microsoft is gonne come up with its own architecture (after the x360)What are you talking about, Microsoft has only had two consoles. The first used a Pentium 3 and the 360 uses Xenon, while a PowerPC processor 50/50 doesn't count as "normally", The more you respond simply reveals how little you know about the hardware, stick to playing Halo 3 and Gears.

Drag
11-03-2007, 10:44 AM
What are you talking about, Microsoft has only had two consoles. The first used a Pentium 3 and the 360 uses Xenon, while a PowerPC processor 50/50 doesn't count as "normally", The more you respond simply reveals how little you know about the hardware, stick to playing Halo 3 and Gears.

But you don't have any friends accept for gw bush

coyotetu
11-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Oh, good quip. Just to set the record straight before I promptly ignore any further useless input from you, I don't support the idea of a statist government, I'm a Market Anarchist.